Selling my Yamaha Beech Customs. What should I ask? (pics)

Autopilot

As much as I hate to do it I think I'm going to sell my Beech Customs. They have a few minor dings but nothing major. I think they were made in 2000. Not sure what the color is...kind of a maroonish brown wood grain. Not sure what I should ask for them. They are 8,10,12,14,16,22. Here are a few pics. Sorry for the poor quality.The tom looks scratched in the pic but that's just the glare from the light. Its in great shape.

I also have a 3 sided Icon rack with clamps for all of the toms and a few cymbal clamps that I'm throwing in.

1pjvab.jpg

2d13bir.jpg

I've seen those go from $500-$1000. I'd aim high, especially with that 8". I've seen 8" recording custom toms in discontinued finishes go for $300+ on their own. If it were me, and I really didn't want to sell them, I'd put them up for $1500 and see what happens.

Thats an not often seen Beech Custom finish.

The catalogs only note:
Blue Berry
Live Green
Pure White
Pear Yellow
Red Apple
Solid Black

Let me try to get back at this.

Regarding price. Its a hard time to sell.

The expensive Recording Custom and Maple Custom range second hand anywhere from 800-2200

Just think what you would need for amount and think of what you are find unacceptable to let them go for.

I've seen those go from $500-$1000. I'd aim high, especially with that 8". I've seen 8" recording custom toms in discontinued finishes go for $300+ on their own. If it were me, and I really didn't want to sell them, I'd put them up for $1500 and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice..

Thats an not often seen Beech Custom finish.

The catalogs only note:
Blue Berry
Live Green
Pure White
Pear Yellow
Red Apple
Solid Black

Let me try to get back at this.

Regarding price. Its a hard time to sell.

The expensive Recording Custom and Maple Custom range second hand anywhere from 800-2200

Just think what you would need for amount and think of what you are find unacceptable to let them go for.

For some reason I think I remember reading that they only made this color 1 year. I'm going to try to do some more research and see what I can find out. Thanks for the reply.

Aside from lacking the money ... and the space ... and the distance between us, I'd grab them up in a heartbeat! I've wanted beech customs for years now, and I love that color. Isn't it called "plum"?

Not sure of the color either. I've seen Plum on the Maple Customs. I know Beech Customs were offered at one point in a See Through Violet.

I haven't been able to find any info on the color. I can't even find any pictures of other Beech Custom kits in that color.

I don't remember seeing a beech custom with a 3 legged floor tom. All the ones I saw were suspended. But then again, I haven't seen that many.

I love the finish and have played Beech Customs. They are really nice, warm sounding drums. The kick is a beast. Unfortunately, this is one Yamaha line that doesn't fetch a great price. I would think $1000-$1200 at the very most. The rack might help if you are including it. If I needed a kit, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

If it was a common color, I would list the 8" by itself . But it bring a color no one has rarely seen, sell the whole kit as one. My guess would be around $1000

Autopilot,

Did you find out anything about that finish? No record on any catalog I have about this finish. I just grabbed a 16x20 in that same finish. It sounds unbelievable, but I realize how hard it will be to find matching drums.

I love Beech Customs, and that particular color, which I've never seen on BCs, is just gorgeous. Beech Customs were offered in some of the most garish colors ever offered by Yamaha, but those are unique and beautiful. And your kit is in all the perfect sizes. Pricewise, right now seems to be a tough time to sell kits on the higher end of the scale. In a perfect world your set should easily bring $1800-1900, but I suspect the best you will do is in the $1100 to 1300 range. Unless you are in a real tight for money, I would price them at $1500 and stay firm until the right purchaser came along. And one will come along if you are willing to wait it out. If you must move them now, then I'd price them at $1300 or best offer. I know you hate to see them go. I would love to own them.

GeeDeeEmm

Just found record of the color on these Beech Custom shells. They named this color Y2K Brown and was released only in 2000 before they discontinued the original Beech Custom line and replaced it with the Beech Custom Absolute.

As a Yamaha lover and archivist, where did you find this record? So curious :D

I did some digging on some Yamaha Drum Periodicals I have from that era and found this. Seems like they had Y2K limited edition colors for Maple and Birch Absolutes as well.

Attachments

• IMAG5117.jpg
    IMAG5117.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 1,332
  • issue1-baker_michael.jpg
    issue1-baker_michael.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 1,037
As a ballpark figure: I sold a Beech Custom in Green, 22, 10, 12, 13, 16 and snare with all mounts and holders for $845 a couple of years ago.

Since the catalog page suggests collectors item aim high and see where you get

Wow. no way!

I just got offered a 14x4 maple custom snare in that color, I was searching my library (yes I have a small library on Yamaha) but couldnt find anything. It matches Red Oak and Apple Red perfectly!

Never had this catalog. Could you make me a hq copy please?

Which reminds me: a while ago we talked about the Manu Katche snare, and you mentioned you have a brochure of it (the SD-415MK). I have the same model, could you please send me a good quality PDF of that? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks again,

Dutch

P.S. Sorry Op for hijacking your thread... BTW great kit, I wouldn't sell for much less than BCAs or MCAs go for in the US..

Last edited:
Which reminds me: a while ago we talked about the Manu Katche snare, and you mentioned you have a brochure of it (the SD-415MK). I have the same model, could you please send me a good quality PDF of that? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks again,

Dutch

P.S. Sorry Op for hijacking your thread... BTW great kit, I wouldn't sell for much less than BCAs or MCAs go for in the US..

My bad. will do asap!!

Back