David Hodek - 11-Year-Old Budapest Jazz Drumming Phenom

con struct

Platinum Member
This was posted on another site and in spite of myself I was pretty damn impressed. Yes, the other musicians aren't all that good and there are clams happening all over the place, plus I've always disliked that song, but check this kid on the drums out.

His solo shows some quite mature, almost hip ideas and his technique, well I sure as hell couldn't play like that when I was eleven. For that matter I wasn't even playing the drums when I was that age.

What planet do these kids come from anyway?

Re: 11-Year-Old Budapest Jazz Drumming Phenom?

Normally i never like all these "Wonderkids" - if three, six or eleven....

but this David Hodek impresses me much - his maturity in his playing - not a chopfest - and also executing simple steady beats in a Michael Jackson Tune...

Bernhard

but this David Hodek impresses me much - his maturity in his playing - not a chopfest - and also executing simple steady beats in a Michael Jackson Tune...

Bernhard

bernhard you've said it spot on!

i am still only 12 but..........

Elliot

No way. Thats not a kid, thats a midget.

this is great, because you can tell he knows the song and is not just playing a beat. He's listening, and playing music. I can't wait to hear him at 35!

this is great, because you can tell he knows the song and is not just playing a beat. He's listening, and playing music. I can't wait to hear him at 35!

Yeah, if he's even still playing at that age. Someone with that kind of preternatural intelligence could well go on to become a famous brain surgeon or scientist.

My doctor, for example, is a hell of a piano player. And the guy who plays piano in my band is in charge of information technology for the Centers for Disease Control, as well as being an outstanding classical cellist. As Ian Dury said, there ain't half been some clever bastards.

Bernhard

i agree completely. but this kid shows what he's got with subtlety rather than thomas lang-esque "chopfest." hes gonna be a great.

A lot of maturity in his playing for an 11- year old. That is phenomenal. I guess a lot of adult drummers could learn from this. I know I do.

Wow. I wish I was that good at that age. Lots of maturity there. What I think is cool is that he doesn't have a pro-level kit - in some clips it looks like one of those Yamaha Stage Customs (?).

The last wonderkid I saw his parents bought him this semi-huge DW kit, and he wasn't as good as this kid. But then he discovered baseball and girls - he's gone now.

Not exactly from other planet but from other country, indeed - Hungary (Magyar). These phenomenon kids are called "Indigo" and they are super-talented, believe it or not, since birthday. Also, as we can see, it's the drummer who makes the great difference not the drum-set (contributing factor).....Thanks, for sharing this excellent video.

What planet do these kids come from anyway?

i agree completely. but this kid shows what he's got with subtlety rather than thomas lang-esque "chopfest." hes gonna be a great.

Are you familiar with Thomas Lang's work? Chopfest?
Here's just a link to one of the first video results on YouTube; but really, it's very ignorant of you to call him that.

Fox.

I think I understand what Fishbones is saying. Thomas Lang is a musical drummer, but you have to admit, "laying it down and groovin" is not the first adjective that comes to mind when you say Thomas Lang.

I like Thomas, he's a great entertainer on the drums as well. In some of the interviews I've either heard or read, his head is totally screwed-on straight when it comes to playing music. But I don't think people want to see Thomas Lang be the next Jim Keltner or Steve Gadd. They want to be wowed and impressed by the show!

Back