DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-15-2015, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi szokematyi

My signature snare drum has three air holes. One in a normal position and one directly above each snare bed. This is an already established Sonor method and I trust their engineers. I tried it and thought it sounded good to me.
Thank you for the fast reply. I've tried to find pictures about your snare's air vents before, but I only managed to find two. One in the "regular place", and one above one of the snare beds. Thought it was weird, not being the same on both sides. Are those "snare-bed-vents" smaller than the "usual"? I'd think they should be. But I could not find smaller threaded air vents anywhere. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
I'm curious about them and will probably try them out soon. The only place I need them is on the 3 nearest bolts to me where I'm playing rim shots. The bottom head bolts don't move on my Sonor snare. I can also see that if they were tightened a bit too much they could potentially wreck the thread inside the lug. Proceed with caution !
Caution is always the right way to go! Thinking through every possible scenario is a very good, if sometimes annoying way to go about things, but still...
But I don't agree with you here. I would not use different methods within a single unit (meaning you wanting to use these special tuning rods ONLY on the 3 lugs closest to your rimshots). I'd be afraid that the different mechanical stress on the hoop would cause it to twist, or bend slightly over time. I'm a HUGE advocate of using the same tech within a single unit in almost every case. In this instance If I'd be in your shoes I'd use these bolts at every lug on the top head if I don't need to use them on the botton lugs. That is the safer approach I believe. But whatever you choose, please give us a shout how it went. I'm quite curious about these too.

Cheers,
Matyas
Old 07-21-2015, 12:30 AM

Hey Gavin! I've found this mini-game on one website and I immediately thought of you. It's very simple and will take like 1 minute of your time. It plays a beat and you tap along to it. You can use your mouse or any keyboard key (keyboard is better imho). Soon the beat fades and you have to tap with the beat muted. You tap 20 times and each hit is scored from 0 to 50 giving a maximum score of 1000. My best so far is 931.

I find this game pretty addictive to be honest. I encourage all you drummers to post your results and I would be delighted (I think everyone here would be) if Master Gavin posted his.

Here's the link:
http://www.concerthotels.com/got-rhythm

Have fun guys :).
Old 07-21-2015, 04:40 AM

Hi Gavin,

I've been a big fan of yours since I first heard of Porcupine Tree about 9 years ago. Just really tasteful drumming. Love your stuff with 05ric as well. Managed to come to your drum clinic in Waterloo Ontario a few years ago, and a Porcupine Tree show in Toronto a year or so before that. People were screaming your name that night. Great stuff.

Anyway, I was hoping you could comment on a problem that I've noticed recently with my practicing. Earlier in this thread you mentioned a number of drum books that you found helpful or really liked working through (The New Breed and Syncopation particularly). I'm wondering how you find yourself working your way through the entirety of these books? For example, I have had The New Breed for several years now and have never made it past the first few pages. I just keep going back and trying to perfect the same exercises. How you approached these books back when you were still developing your chops?

Greatly appreciate the time you've taken to dish out all the advice and information you've shared in this thread. Makes for a good read!

- Steve
Old 07-23-2015, 07:12 PM

Hi Gavin,

I love the way you play the drums and you've been my favourite drummer as to sound as well as to technique and playing style since I first listened to In Absentia. Since then I bought almost everything you ever released as to drum gear and books.

NOW TO THE QUESTIONS :-)

I've recently started to update the heads on all my toms and my snare. I've watched ALL your tuning videos and gathered all your hints concerning the tuning method but I won't get a sound that fully satisfies me.

To pull the head down evenly etc. is reasonable for me and I did it just like you show it, also using Protean Keys. But I don't really know when to stop tuning tighter because I can't anticipate the outcome of the final sound as the bottom head is not on there yet, no dampening ring on etc.
Bob Gatzen e.g. is always tuning to a certain tone that he's singing while tuning. Maybe that would help. I've not changed many heads in my years of playing, maybe it's just the missing experience.
  • But after all, have you possibly got any tips for me?

• I was also wondering which Head to put on (and tune) first, batter or reso head?
  • Also, some people say, for a dry and tight sound tune the reso head tighter than the batter one, others say the other way round, it's confusing. I don't even know how it affects the sound if the batter or reso head is tuned tighter. Maybe you could help me out here, too.
  • When you're practising and trying stuff at home, are you hearing the recorded version of your drums via headphones or are you just playing and hearing the pure sound of your kit (no microphone sound or similar)?

Thanks in advance for answering these confusing questions.
Have a good time!

Regards from Germany,
Max

Last edited by french_cat; 07-23-2015 at 08:13 PM.