Lost with all the Zoom recorders

happy new year everyone!

I'm thinking about buying a Zoom recorder, since I know recording one's self is a good way to improve. I just have no idea which one to go for.

the h4n seems nice but doesn't have mic guards, that kinda discourages me from buying it.
the q3hd seems nice as well but can't find it in stock anywhere (I live in europe, had no luck in places like Amazon)
dunno if the q2hd is as good as the other two, should I look into that as well?

ideas, experiences, suggestions?

Unless you have decided it has to be Zoom, check out Tascam, Sony etc too. Lots of portable hand-held recorders out there at all price points.

if I check out other brands I'll be even more lost, haha. just looking for suggestions, even a strong "go for the ____ because of this and that" will be good for me. I don't mind the brand.

thanks DIHH, i'll try ebay; if the conclusion is that q3hd is better than the rest, of course.

The Zoom H4N is good value, easy to use and gives good results if you take the time to use it properly.
Also comes with a software package.

Have you gone to the ZOOM site and checked out features on all the models? That's basically the gig between models and $$. Are you just looking for sound, or sound and picture?

Been reading since I made the topic, narrowed it down to the Q3HD. decided I want video too, so the h4n is out, and the q2hd is out as well since it has a few less features than the q3. I can afford both so it's no problem for me.

the problem is that the q3hd is discontinued now, so there are a few sites that offer it, so the prices kinda went up.

is there any similar recorder from another brand I should check?

I know it seems counter productive but I think the Zoom H2HD is the newer version of the Zoom H3HD. What throws me is I cannot understand how a version 2 can come after a 3.

Then when I tried to buy the H2 the site asked me to verify my credit card. Next minute during the verification process I have a screen hanging - gave up after 10 minutes :(

I did check the bona fides of URL of the verification website before clicking so it wasn't a scam. Just a waste of time.

I have used several of these recorders, and used to own an H4n but recently upgraded to the ZOOM H6. Check it out. Comes with an X-Y mic and an MS mic...and in addidtion has 4 XLR mic inputs, each with a -20db pad and phantom power. I have used it extensively with acoustic instruments and so far I'm very impressed.

You could put up a bass drum mic, snare mic, two overheads AND have the stereo mic on the Zoom all recording at once on six tracks. You can even buy an extra XLR input module and have a total of 6 XLR inputs, use you own mics or inputs from other mixers, etc etc etc

No video though, just audio...

Neal

I have the Q3HD (audio and video), H2 (audio only), R16 (16-track recorder/8-simultaneous), and Tascam DR-05.

You can't really go wrong with any Zoom, just pick one and start using it.

found the q3hd (barely) used at a good price and bought it.
it has the stock SD card in there which is very small, I'm gonna go get a 32gb one soon. any suggestions on brands etc from q3hd users? should I go with a classic Sandisk Extreme?

Quote....What throws me is I cannot understand how a version 2 can come after a 3.

Made by the same folks as Star Wars.

Back