Where can I find a line with 22 x 16" Bass drum?

MattM

It looks like the standard nowadays is 18" deep. I don't like these, they're too boomy. It seems the only lines that carry the 16" deep bass drums are the high end ones. Does anyone know a fairly inexpensive kit that offeres a 16" deep bass drum?

Thanks!

Hello,
The closest answer I know would be Yamaha, with 17" deep kick drums in the Tour Custom and Stage custom series. I'm not a huge fan of the newfound love affair that drum companies have with 18x22 kicks, but for a different reason. The 16" deep kick should be boomier than the 18" one. Less depth equals more resonance. That's why I'm into the 16" deep kicks. I like the longer decay. Good luck.
BTW, I used to have a Tama Rockstar kit in the early 2000's that came 22x16 standard. You can probably find one pretty easily.
Guys, if I'm wrong on the resonance thing, correct me.

Less depth equals more resonance.
Guys, if I'm wrong on the resonance thing, correct me.

Yea with all due respect drumac, that's backwards. By that reasoning, a rototom would sing the longest. You will get better attack on a shallower drum, but less sustain. It's all good though, one is not superior to the other, just different.

To MattM, you could always build your own set with Keller or Vaughncraft shells, any size you want. That's my next set later on this year, for sure.

the shallower the drum the more responsive it will be at quieter dynamic levels. you will have slightly less resonance than a deeper kick, less volume, less projection. I have never noticed more attack with a shallower drum. attack usually has to do with how hard you hit it and head/beater choices.

if you have a shallower kick the full sound of the drum will develop faster than a 20 or 18" deep kick.

I'm partial to the sound of a shallower drum and highly recommend it. My favorite bass drum ever was a late 1970's Sonor Phonic (22x14 "old school" depth) made of beech wood. It was super responsive and projected really well, even in un-mic'd situations. The only problem is that not many major companies offer this shell size anymore, so you'd probably have to get it custom-made (Keller, Vaughncraft, and Eames all make great shells).

Yea with all due respect drumac, that's backwards. By that reasoning, a rototom would sing the longest. You will get better attack on a shallower drum, but less sustain. It's all good though, one is not superior to the other, just different.

To MattM, you could always build your own set with Keller or Vaughncraft shells, any size you want. That's my next set later on this year, for sure.

Cool. Thanks dude. That's why I asked for some backup on that.

the ludwig epic line has the shallow depths. the probeat set up has a 24x14.. nice

the downbeat has a 20x14. i would like to check these out.. they have this one set up that comes with two 22x8 kicks that you can combine together! that sounds really cool. at least ludwig is picking up on it.

4554.jpg

i have to say these blackburst with the brass looking hardware looks REALLY good.

Back