Looking for good punk drummers

laxation

I love punk music, but sometimes the drumming gets a bit on my nerves because its not as technical/interesting as bands like Karnivool/Dead letter circus etc.

Does anyone know of punk bands who have sick drummers? Preferably ones who play early 90's stuff like Bad Religion, Nofx, Strung Out etc,

I think Brendan Canty from Fugazi is a great drummer. One of my favorite bands of all time. My favorite album is Red Medicine, but other good ones to check our are Repeater and The Argument.

Grant Hart of Husker Du could really play that stuff. Check out "Something I Learned Today" from the album "Zen Arcade." Also check out Carlos Cadona with the Dead Kennedys.

D.H. Peligro from the same band (also played with the Chili Peppers). Or of course, check out Topper Headon from the Clash. Both guys before your nominated time frame, but worth a look.

I'll second Topper Headon, and will also recommend Rat Scabies from the Damned.

I may get flamed for this one...but Travis Barker is talented

Now the question is whether or not blink-182 is punk...

I think early blink was punk (Buddha/Cheshire Cat), but since Enema of the State they have kind of strayed away from genre. They're still my favorite band of all-time, but yea, just thought I'd give my opinion. And some of the songs Travis writes are incredible in my opinion, however most people think otherwise.

To the OP, check out some Blink songs like Adam's Song, Anthem Part 2, and Down. They're catchy and have some nice drum beats.

A wilhelm scream one of my favorite bands. check out all of their stuff but I think you would really like their latest full length “Career suicide”
and check out their self titled EP.

Well, I'm not aware of any punk drummers, but I DO know of some drummers that are punks.

ta hee...

Brooks Wackerman - Bad Religion from 2001 to Present.

Josh Freese
- The Vandals from 1989 to Present except for the 2000 release "Look What I Almost Stepped In..." which is drummed by Brooks Wackerman.

Nicholas Pasquale Angelini - A Wilhelm Scream from 1997 to Present. A Wilhelm Scream are possibly my favourite band. I've seen them twice and if you're after more technical punk drumming, you can't go wrong.

Check out anything from these 3 drummers and you're on the right path.

OFF TOPIC:

What does "20202020202020202" mean?

BD, you have to type 20 characters for a post to be accepted. As you know, I'm a a woman of very few words (no lightning flashes yet?) so I'm following the convention started by other taciturn types such as myself who need to make up the characters after saying their piece.

On topic: Paul Cook is a solid drummer ... or whoever it was who played on Never Mind the Bollocks.

My kinda post ;D
Ok ive mentioned him a lot on my posts so im not gonna say his name...(but hey i do see a lot of members name dropping the same drummers aswell haha cant help having a favourite :D)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boo79ZgXScQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boo79ZgXScQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynnCN7EJgN8

I beleive the second one requires quite a lot indipendence, not usualy needed in this genre.

Also rich kids on lsd's album "riches to rags" has some awesome drumming on.
I agree with brooks wackerman, the intro to sorrow is easily the best drumming ive heard on any bad religion song.
And the album where we stand by yellowcard has some realy good stuff aswell.
Theres not many realy special drummers in punk as far as "technical" goes....but theyre all crazy fast and hyperactive, what the genre calls for!

do you listen to hardcore punk? some of the more modern stuff gets a bit more original and complex. stuff like 'Comeback Kid' and 'Your Demise' awesome bands with a contemporary spin on hardcore punk.

Back