Crazy 8s Drums

C

Crazy8s

Howdy Drummerworld!

This is a wonderful site with so many awesome drummers and afficionadoes! My gratitude to Bernard for being such an amazing contribution to this wonderful world of drums!

I thought you guys and girls might enjoy some pics of my drums.

The kit....

6x10, 7x12, 10x14, 12x16 toms. 5 ply maple. 18x22 kicker 8 ply.

The finish is leopard print fabric embedded in polyurethane. Incredibly durable and the drums resonate as if it were a lacquer finish. Suspended on RIMS.

The snare pictured is The Hierophant. 6x13, 12 ply finnish birch with birch knockers. The shell was handmade by me, and I will be making lots more that hopefully might end up in your lap someday... The Hierophant features many different playing surfaces that create hundreds of different sounds. Very versatile and with the hoopknockers they allow Jonny Rabb style gravity rolls effortlessly because of the placement of the fulcrum away from the drum. The snare on the left is a 5x12, 21 ply finnish birch. Wicked loud and bright.

Cymbals... (from left to right)

18" Sabian Pro china type with a cracked 8" splash and another 8" splash inverted stacked onit, all touching.

16" Zild Armand Med crash with 8" Splash inverted on top, separated by felt.
14" Zild New Beats from late '70s.
12" Sabian splash combined with lathed/cut down 16" Sabian Metal crash to make right side hats.
20" Zild K Hybrid ride
18" Sabian AA med crash with 6" LP Icebell inverted
18" Wuhan china type..all smashed up and sounding wonderful!

Pedals...(left to right)
Tama pedal with Terry Bozzio beater with finger cymbals attached to it, striking a jamblock and RT tambourine simultaneously.
Axis A double with longboard on the left side, short on the right side. (I didn;t care for the longboard on the right, having played DW pedals for so long. I might put longboard back on it someday.)
Axis Hihat stand, placed in between the double pedals so I can play it with my heel while I play left bd pedal with toes.
DW 5500 hihat stand clamped to BD.

Hope you enjoy! :)

Attachments

• dw1.jpg
    dw1.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 1,088
  • dw3.jpg
    dw3.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 1,330
  • dw2.jpg
    dw2.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 1,136
That's a very interesting kit you have there. Did you do it all yourself? What kind of shells are you using?

Thanks! :)

The toms and BD are Keller shells, but I finished them into what you see. The snare shells are all made by me.

I've got some new ideas for drums coming soon. Lots of wood choices, and a very retro vibe but with modern usability.

nike kit , really unique!!

by the way ,your floor toms are pretty shallow , how do you like them ?

Thanks Enrico!

The floor toms are awesome to me! All the toms sound like they are the next size bigger. Lower fundamental note, but a little less volume and sustain. Easier to tune, and stay in tune. Fast and phat! :)

Very quirky and well-done set! It stands out from the Tamaha, Gretschpex and LuDWig factory sets here. Serious attitude with this set.

I have seen people urethane leopard-print fabric onto homemade PVC drums (made with 12-14 inch drain pipe) and it looks very nice. Does it take a lot of skill to do this with wood drums?

Excellent hardware selection and I appreciate the mods for the finger cymbals. Now I want to do that. I've attached just about everything else to a foot pedal. I like how you attached the hihat stand to the bass drum to conserve space. You appear to be using genuine Gauger RIMS mounts.

Personally, I am not fond of shallow shells (except on the snare) but that is just my preference; this is an exceptionally cool set regardless. I would also like you to update this thread with better photos when you get a better camera.

Great kit. There's some great custom drum companies here in AZ. I was looking to get sponsored by Medicine Man Drums but even with a sponsor discount their stuff is expensive.

Very quirky and well-done set! It stands out from the Tamaha, Gretschpex and LuDWig factory sets here. Serious attitude with this set.

@DMC, I was equally offended and entertained by this comment. That equals a great joke.

Nah, I really was not offended and thought it to be both funny and true. That's a great line.

@Crazy8s: Nice job with the drums. I echo your comments about the shallow floor/hanging toms. I tune mine (14 X 11 and 16 X 13) rather low and they indeed sound bigger than they are. Good stuff.

I have seen people urethane leopard-print fabric onto homemade PVC drums (made with 12-14 inch drain pipe) and it looks very nice. Does it take a lot of skill to do this with wood drums?

Excellent hardware selection and I appreciate the mods for the finger cymbals. Now I want to do that. I've attached just about everything else to a foot pedal. I like how you attached the hihat stand to the bass drum to conserve space. You appear to be using genuine Gauger RIMS mounts.

Personally, I am not fond of shallow shells (except on the snare) but that is just my preference; this is an exceptionally cool set regardless. I would also like you to update this thread with better photos when you get a better camera.

I made them so they would get noticed, and that they do! I always have someone coming up to me after shows to tell me how much they like them. (..and a few have expressed their distaste for them too... can't win 'em all!)

For laminating fabric to shells, I wouldn't consider it hard. I found it pretty easy to do, but I worked for Boeing as a composites fabricator. The RIMS are about 12 years old, so they were from the time when Purecussion was the only company making them.

Thanks for the kind words! I will try to get some new pics of 'em soon.

These drums are heinous looking, but I bet they sound absolutely incredible. I'll admit I don't fancy the finish, but I do fancy your setup. I like the snare clave you've got too.

Back