something I am building

techristian

It still needs a throw off strainer and butt plate , but after many hours of machining...

Here is my attempt on a NO TOUCH SHELL design.

mydrum.jpg

Dan

Locking nuts on the T rods should work. Loosen each nut one at a time to tighten the T rods. The tightened nut on the opposite side of the floating lug should hold it in place while adjusting.

If tuning one side tunes the other as well then why not just use a single rod? Just curious what purpose the lug is serving?

I wonder if you could put a third hoop in the middle of those black floating "lug" things. It would stop them from turning, make a stable anchor for both rods on each side and still not touch the wood if you lined it up proper. Just a wild thought, likely isn't going to work for one reason or another.

I wonder if you could put a third hoop in the middle of those black floating "lug" things. It would stop them from turning, make a stable anchor for both rods on each side and still not touch the wood if you lined it up proper. Just a wild thought, likely isn't going to work for one reason or another.
Slieshman :)

I think that's a pretty schnazzy single-tension design. I would tighten a nut up against the black things on all the reso bolts once you get them even length, maybe with a split washer too. Then all tuning would be done with the batter rods and it would stay all even-looking. Those black lug things look beefy enough to hold on to to keep them square with the shell while tuning.

Also needs washers between the rods and the hoops.

Nuts on the rods wouldn't do a darn thing because the lug is not anchored to the shell. The lug will pull on the reso head rods when the batter side rods are tightened, it wouldn't matter if the thread is locked or not. The force is pulling through the rod length-wise and would definitely pull on the reso head no matter what. The heads would be at the same tension and sing the same note....if the heads are the same thickness. Beings that the snare side is only 3 mils...it would sing a higher note as it would stretch easier, a good thing. Would the reso go as high as I like it? I can't say, I never tested this setup but I am curious to see how it would sound. I like my reso pretty tight, almost to the point of stretch. I don't know if I could get there with this lug.

I meant snugging a nut up against the black thing to prevent the reso side rods from rotating at all. That would prevent the "lugs" from ending up at different heighths over time relative to each other and the hoops. A nut will turn freely on a bolt, but two nuts with a split washer in between tightened against each other won't budge. Any and all tuning would be done solely with the batter side rods while holding the black things so they don't turn. I understand that the design is still single-tension. Sorry if I wasn't clear before.

Also, you could "tune" the reso higher or lower by trying a 2 or 5 mil instead of a 3. Never tried it but it seems sound in theory. Alternately a thicker or thinner batter head would determine different relative tensions of the batter and reso.

I've messed around with old single-tension field drums and I was always able to tune them way better than I expected. I'm real finicky with my own snare, but I think with lots of head combo experimentation I could get "my" sound with a single-tension drum.

I meant snugging a nut up against the black thing to prevent the reso side rods from rotating at all. That would prevent the "lugs" from ending up at different heighths over time relative to each other and the hoops. A nut will turn freely on a bolt, but two nuts with a split washer in between tightened against each other won't budge. Any and all tuning would be done solely with the batter side rods while holding the black things so they don't turn. I understand that the design is still single-tension. Sorry if I wasn't clear before.

Also, you could "tune" the reso higher or lower by trying a 2 or 5 mil instead of a 3. Never tried it but it seems sound in theory. Alternately a thicker or thinner batter head would determine different relative tensions of the batter and reso.

I've messed around with old single-tension field drums and I was always able to tune them way better than I expected. I'm real finicky with my own snare, but I think with lots of head combo experimentation I could get "my" sound with a single-tension drum.

I think he was more referring to Barry's earlier post, #3.

There is a small advantage in my design over Wac'd drums. The "lugs" are made from a wrot iron planter that I found on the side of the road. Because it is 1/2 square stock, it can be easily held with a 1/2 wrench , for now anyway. If the thread loosens up a bit, I can hold it between 2 fingers.

Yes no matter where you tighten, whether the top or botton you will be still tightening both heads. I already heard a few similar drums on the internet, before starting this project, and decided to use a light head for the top to get higher tuning. So we have an Ambassador on the bottom and coated Emperor on top. Tuned almost to the max now and this drum is approximately 1 tone higher pitch than my classic Supraphonic.

It is very ringy because there is no sound deadener. The unusual thing about this drum that by just placing my tiny metronome or cell phone on it, while playing DEADENS IT DRAMATICALLY. These would deaden my Supraphonic but not so extremely.

There are NO HOLES in the shell. Not even a breather.

Dan

Last edited:
Hey, what's an o,u,g,h,t between friends?

Back