NOT ALL ABOUT THE MONEY?

Well from reading around I know that it cost 300,000 to put on a kiss show. Tickets are priced between 50-100 plus dollars. You figure to break even that they would have to sell a bit over 300 tickets to break even and then they use the rest to pay the crew and expenses and make money off of the merch sales as well. So I'm pretty sure they make off pretty well. Gene Simmons net worth is 300 million while Paul Stanley's is only worth 120. Those may seem like huge numbers to us but considering they are founding members of the same band the who owns the trademarks gets the better end of the deal. I know that Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer are contract members of the band, Just like Ace and Peter would be if they were ever welcomed back into the band or wanted to come back for that matter. I don't understand how that works.

I also always wondered how much a musician makes when their song is covered by another band. Some bands have their songs covered many times over by other bands and for TV commercials. I don't know how the royalty system works, or whether it is standardized in any way.

Covers as in another artist recording a new version of a song pay zero money to the original performers - only the songwriters receive earnings from this.

Same if a song is re-recorded for use in a TV commercial.

As for using the original recording in a TV commercial/show or movie - it all depends on the musician's original business arrangement for doing that recording in the first place. There is nothing statutory for this beyond the individual contract/agreement. A player working under a union contract would a receive an additional (new use) payment. A member of a band would receive whatever is agreed between him and his bandmates and them and their record company. A player who just did the recording for a flat payment with no other agreement in place would receive nothing.

But in a nutshell, this is one of the big reasons why the big money that comes from recordings is for the songwriters. The big money (to the degree there is big money) for performers now more than ever is in live performance. Though before getting all excited when reading concert grosses - always keep in mind that a lot of pieces are cut from that pie. With owner/band members getting a pretty decent slice, compared to working sideman who by comparison get a crumb or two that falls off the table onto the floor... by comparison.

David

David

I am glad the Indie lables did as well as they did this year. Top artists producing passionate works and being recognized and paid. Owning the publishing rights to your own works will net you a lot more. It is tough, no doubt about it. Keep writing and write just 1 hit. I'm doing what I do for the love of music and how it makes people feel. Even though our works are equally distributed amongst all band members on ASCAP, there still is no guarantee of payment from anyone especially in UK/EU where we are getting radio play in France. The fact is, your music is never safe. The last I heard about signing record deals, you are lucky to get 2% of CD sales. I guess that's why concert tickets are so expensive now; artists got to make a living somehow right?

Well I know Jojo Mayer drives an Aston Martin, if that tells you anything.

Doesn't tell me much. I have a mate who drives an Aston Martin. The knucklehead hasn't got a cent to his name, can't pay his rent and is one missed payment away from it being reposessed. But hey, at least he gets to drive along the poverty line in style. :)

Doesn't tell me much. I have a mate who drives an Aston Martin. The knucklehead hasn't got a cent to his name, can't pay his rent and is one missed payment away from it being reposessed. But hey, at least he gets to drive along the poverty line in style. :)

Yeah - I could drive two Dodge Vipers if I really wanted to - doesn't mean too much.

Well that seems like a somewhat strange scenario :) I think you would agree that owning an Aston is generally a sign of wealth.

I think you would agree that owning an Aston is generally a sign of wealth.

That's what he thinks too.

Usually Fish, usually. But the scenario is not as unusual as you might think. There's a ton of people out there who are asset rich and cash poor. Keeping up with the Jones' has it's price.

Well I know Jojo Mayer drives an Aston Martin, if that tells you anything.

^ This.

And/or I've know more than one musician who seemed to do very well, only to have it turn out the person married someone who is very successful in a different field, or just came from a well to do family, OR, they had a side business/day job that does well for them.

But doesn't Jojo live in NYC? What would be need an Aston Martin for?

I see guys like Chester Thompson (a great drummer) taking a (good) job like the drum seat for Genesis for financial stability - so it looks like only a relative few make a good living by playing "their own thing".

The studio kings like Mr Gadd would do better financially, but definitely don't get what their skills deserve.

Royalties are the answer - get your name on the songs as co-writer any way you can ;-)

As a disillusioned friend once said of the music industry "this if f****d!!"

^ This.

And/or I've know more than one musician who seemed to do very well, only to have it turn out the person married someone who is very successful in a different field, or just came from a well to do family, OR, they had a side business/day job that does well for them.

But doesn't Jojo live in NYC? What would be need an Aston Martin for?

He says he knows he drives one? Unless you ask someone, you won't know. You may have seen him drive one away from a gig or clinic, may have just had a really great deal with the venue and was allowed to drive/be driven in one. Or else it was a friends. Maybe he was in a good ood, rented one for a few days in whatever country he was in. Never know

But my guess is that Jojo is probably in the top 3 paid clinic drummers around. If not, very very close. I'd say Sabian and vic firth pay him a fortune! Not to mention sonor. I can't see him getting that much from gigs with nerve, not yet anyway :) He's close to being the Tiger Woods of the drum world at the moment, I'd say he gets more from his endorsements ( much more) than his gigs....like tiger woods :)

That's what he thinks too.

Usually Fish, usually. But the scenario is not as unusual as you might think. There's a ton of people out there who are asset rich and cash poor. Keeping up with the Jones' has it's price.

Exactly, any knucklehead can be in debt up to thier eyeballs.

He says he knows he drives one? Unless you ask someone, you won't know. You may have seen him drive one away from a gig or clinic, may have just had a really great deal with the venue and was allowed to drive/be driven in one. Or else it was a friends. Maybe he was in a good ood, rented one for a few days in whatever country he was in. Never know

But my guess is that Jojo is probably in the top 3 paid clinic drummers around. If not, very very close. I'd say Sabian and vic firth pay him a fortune! Not to mention sonor. I can't see him getting that much from gigs with nerve, not yet anyway :) He's close to being the Tiger Woods of the drum world at the moment, I'd say he gets more from his endorsements ( much more) than his gigs....like tiger woods :)

I just hope Jojo doesn't follow Tiger down the road to losing his endorsements LOL.

But my guess is that Jojo is probably in the top 3 paid clinic drummers around. If not, very very close. I'd say Sabian and vic firth pay him a fortune! Not to mention sonor.

Unless the clinician is doing clinics every week, year-round, there's not a lot of money to be made. Companies like Sabian and Vic Firth aren't shelling out "a fortune" and Sonor doesn't have a lot of money to throw around either. Nobody makes a great living just doing clinics.

Bermuda

For the most part, companies do not pay their endorsers.
Certainly not Sonar, Sabian or Vic Firth.

Free gear? Sure. Guarantees of x-number of clinics a year? That happens with some artists. Cash payments or a salary? Forget it.

And in the clinic world, Jojo probably does well, but he is still a relatively new name, compared to someone like Terry Bozzio or Vinnie. In my experience of working and hosting clinics, Bozzio got paid more than anyone. But he's been an in demand clinician for some 30 years, so he has worked his way up.

And so, let's say an artist like Jojo gets about $1500 a clinic. But it's day to travel from home to where ever. A day to set up, sound check, do the clinic. A day to travel back home. Not to mention all the prep that goes into a clinic. That's $1500 for three days out of your life. Still, not bad, but it's not it's not as good as $1500 per day sounded.

And still, even the most active clinicians are only going to do 10-20 clinics a year. Every clinic is a day to three days that is not available for a recording session or a tour.

And as Bermuda said, it's not like he or anyone does clinics every week.

Well that seems like a somewhat strange scenario :) I think you would agree that owning an Aston is generally a sign of wealth.

yep just like the saying "Live in a shack & own a Cadillac" lmao........seems pretty pointless.

Bonzolead

Back