Place for set?

de Nick

My new(!!) kit is in our garden in a cottage made for my set. But theres one problem: when it gets wet outside the chrome hardware get little rust marks sometimes :(
Unfortunately we can´t build it up in our cellar and we don´t have a garage.

Where is your drum-set situated??

All my drums live in the house.

2073327880028342110S600x600Q85.jpg

Hallöchen!
I have my drums in cellar...near the heating where the temperature is always pretty much the same.

Normal air wetness isn`t actually the worst thing for drums, it`s rather temperature. Make sure that it is in a room where the temperature is always similar or the same. Maybe put it into your room?

Karl

I advise against setting kits up in sheds, garages and the like. Temperature needs to be stabile and humidity will ruin your kit in the long run. If it's expensive, move it inside!

Is there anything you can do to insulate and seal off the cottage you are currently keeping the set in? I've been wanting to get a large shed from the likes of Home Depot, but they aren't finished on the interior. However, that would allow me to buy real dense sound absorbing insulation and do the sheetrock myself.

Along with the comments made... maybe get a window air-conditioning unit, so you can regulate temp.

I decided to put it in my room in autmn/winter/spring and in summer I´ll build it up in the cottage. While it stands in my room, I´ll build up my old pearl export (about 20 years old, own it for 5:).

btw: I´ve got a question to people, who have build it up in a garage: Is there always the same temperature??

I have mine in my basement. The toms seem a tad bit out of shape, but they sound fine. When I get my new kit, there will be no basement for them!

I don´t know what to do now. I want to play on my new set every day but it is possible that it gets damaged because of the temperature and the humid air. And what is with a garage: is there always the same temperature??

btw: On the bearing edge of my 14" pdp cx tom is a little gap where is no wood (about 2mm). It is not there where the head is on but a little bit below so it has no influence on the tuning. Would you bring it back or say "It has no effect on the sound so it isn´t necessary to replace it"

We have a mostly finished basement (except for workshop and laundry area), so I have part of it that I made into a music area. The temperature is fairly consistent during the summer and during the winter it's heated. The only problem I have is when we run the drier it gets hotter and sometimes I get light condensation on the hardware and what not, but I try and run a dehumidifier for those times.

I keep my drums in the basement. Let me say, dehumidifiers can be a lifesaver and they're not expensive. Basements and garages can be very uncomfortable and bad for drums, but it's usually the humidity that's the problem, not the temperature.

My father has just proposed that I get a heater which goes on when it is about 5°C or less. Do you think it´s ok (and he tries to get it really dry in the room) or is it still to cold for my drums?

Unless the calculator I used was wrong, 5C is 42F. That's pretty cold, I personally wouldn't store drums in any place under 60F or about 16C (again according to the calculator I used).

I am in the process of building a 10x12 straw bale shed in the back 40. It serves as a great sound insulator [straw] and is cheap and interesting to make. Fully recommend this for drummers, lots of info on the net for basic construction. Will cost under a grand.
join the revolution!

Last edited:
I advise against setting kits up in sheds, garages and the like. Temperature needs to be stabile and humidity will ruin your kit in the long run. If it's expensive, move it inside!

there are these cheap heaters that are electric radiators, they heat up oil, run on pennies, and can be turned down low to maintain a constant heat. They are a bit pricy, but not in the long run. They also are quiet for recording.

I have a basement with a pool table, a TV, 2 couches, 5 amps, HUGE stereo system, arch top guitar, 3 or 4 high end violins, refrigerator and my drum set. Temp controlled, game room carpet (drums don't move). Perfect place. I'm lucky enough to have a father who is a musician. it's a great place to jam, chill, watch my dad repair violins... Man I'm lucky. I'm gonna hate college, though. I don't know what I'll do without my drumset...

Back