Question for you DW Experts

johnbarnesiii

Hey guys,

A few questions for all you DW historians:

1) What year did they switch from RIMS mounts to STM mounts?
2) What year did they start adding born-on dates?
3) What year did they start timbre matching and stamping the 'note' inside the shells?
4) What years were the back/gold badges from?
5) What year did they stop using the hex vents (pictured)?

Thanks!!!!!

Attachments

• 313928_10150331880491310_520786309_8037747_179477133_n.jpg
    313928_10150331880491310_520786309_8037747_179477133_n.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 4,418
I could be a little off on the years, but I think the timeframes are fairly correct.

The badges have gone from:

Black (~1990-2000)
Gold (~2001-2007)
Silver (~2008-present)

The timbre match, note and date stamp all seemed to coincide with the late 90s/early 00s switch from Keller shells to their own. In the last couple of years, they have actually put labels on the inside of their shells with this info.

The RIMS mounts and hex vents are probably pre-95; maybe even 90-92. You don't see too many DWs with either or those features pop-up often.

An older (pre-2000) kit in good shape could be a nice collector's piece, but DW really started earning their stripes when they went to their own shells.

Gold and Silver badge kits and snares seem to hold their value well; the black badge gear, not as much.

I have a set of DW's with a date of 6/20/2008. They have gold badges.

I could be a little off on the years, but I think the timeframes are fairly correct.

The badges have gone from:

Black (~1990-2000)
Gold (~2001-2007)
Silver (~2008-present)

The timbre match, note and date stamp all seemed to coincide with the late 90s/early 00s switch from Keller shells to their own. In the last couple of years, they have actually put labels on the inside of their shells with this info.

The RIMS mounts and hex vents are probably pre-95; maybe even 90-92. You don't see too many DWs with either or those features pop-up often.

An older (pre-2000) kit in good shape could be a nice collector's piece, but DW really started earning their stripes when they went to their own shells.

Gold and Silver badge kits and snares seem to hold their value well; the black badge gear, not as much.

My DWs are from 2002 and have the black and silver badges, round vents. Here is a question for you - Why do you say that "DW really started earning their stripes when they went to their own shells."? There is a big argument about the "much preferred Keller shell". Mine are post-Keller, in-house produced.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw

My DWs are from 2002 and have the black and silver badges, round vents. Here is a question for you - Why do you say that "DW really started earning their stripes when they went to their own shells."? There is a big argument about the "much preferred Keller shell". Mine are post-Keller, in-house produced.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw

I wasn't really trying to make any point about sound preference; that is all subjective. The one note I will make is that the Keller shell kits don't seem to hold near as much re-sale value on the open market. I'm sure some of that has to do with age.

I just meant that DW really broke through the market with some of their own shell technologies. Whether or not people think it is hype, their "timeless timber" and anniversary kits, vertical and cross grain plys (VLT, X-shell), edge snares... all helped them move from being seen as another custom Keller shop to a big time drum manufacturer.

This just in... official answers from DW:

1) What year did they switch from RIMS mounts to STM mounts?
--> 1994
2) What year did they start adding born-on dates?
--> We fully implented this with our older drum order system by 96. John Good wanted the date and order number inside the shell for tracking drum kits progress.
3) What year did they start timbre matching and stamping the 'note' inside the shells?
--> Timbre Matching has been going on since when we first starting making drum kits in the late 80's. By 92 we started adding the note in the shells.
4) What years were the back/gold badges from?
--> The Gold and Black badges started around 93 and went to as late as 99.
5) What year did they stop using the hex vents?
--> 1997.

So I guess that makes my kit pre-92 since it doesn't have the note stamps inside the shells.

The question now is, when did DW stop using the "born on" dates? My DW Classic drums were made in 2010 and don't exhibit any dates inside the shells, only an order number and timbre note.

DSC_0278-2.jpg

Dennis

Hi i have a question, i maybe buy a dw kit that is supossed it was made in 2008, the shells has the date, but there is no label inside the drums, they don't say the note
is it possible or is not a DW kit
thanks

Mine are 2009 with label. Label includes note and born date. My drums were all born between april 18-21 ... funny how I was born the 23 and I bought them used without knowing

Also wanna mention that I bought an add on tom last year and born date was written in pen on the label opposed to printed like my other drums

Hey all, I am new and actually, this is my first post to the Drummerworld forums. I am here because of this thread. I have a maple 1997 DW kit in regal royal blue. I bought this kit new in the summer of 97. I extensively toured with this rig over the course of a decade and found my projects/bands calling it quits. I still play but as of now lightly travel with a birch 2015 DW Collectors Series in black mirra so, I've kinda sorta retired the 97 DW. It lives in my rehearsal studio and set free of any more road rash. Aside from having padded cases (hold moisture/condensation), I have kept quite good care of the kit. After a storm rolled through Louisville KY forcing a tree onto the studio space I have decided to bring the kit to the house and meticulously go through and clean it up.

After removing all hardware and components a few things popped out to me.

1-Within the first year I toured I first noticed a split in the interior shell at the floor tom leg mount tensioner. (PIC 1 circled blue) I soon realized that the techs were tightening the tensioner bolt after removing the floor legs. After removing the leg mount I noticed the tensioner key protrudes deeper than it needs.(PIC 2 circled blue)

2-Two of the floor tom leg mount tensioner keys were the same and one was slightly different and the mounts themselves had countersunk holes. (PIC 3 circled blue)

3-The third floor tom leg mount and tensioner key was not countersunk and the tensioner key itself was larger in diameter. (PIC 3 circled green)

4-You can see (PIC 3 in white) the mount gaskets seem to have been bored out where the tensioner key protrudes past the mount and into the shell. The bottom right mount came from the Suspension Tom Mount hardware for the 12" rack. (PIC 3 in red) As you can see it is clearly a different design. The bolt inserts through the back of the mount and the tensioner key nut receives the excess upon torque.

5-The rack tom STM has gotten tired in time. The grommets are torn and the thing has shown signs of sag and has worn into the rack shell. (PIC 4) You can see in (PIC 5) the improved STM on the 2015 DW 12' rack is shaped to restrict sag and wear into the shells.

6-The 16x5.5 maple snare in great shape however the throw and butt is tired, of course. (PIC 6 & 7) Will the new style MAG throws and butts fit and install? My 16x7 black nickel over brass has them and I love the throw and the 3 position butt.

SO....

Does anyone know why the floor tom leg mounts would be different, constructed the way they were and if this was a common issue for DW as well as with the rack tom STM ?

The floor tom has always upset me. I hadn't had the thing for a year before I noticed the issue and I should have reached out to the local dealer at the time but I never did.

I have lug gaskets for the kick drum on order as for some reason, they never had them as well as a few tom/snare lug gaskets for the badges. The vents do not have gaskets and I am having trouble sourcing them. I could I suppose purchase the vents themselves but I really don't want to spend the money.

The floor tom leg mounts are pretty pricey too of course but I feel they should be correct to the kit but my OCD is not fond of the mismatched tensioner keys and especially the length of the key. I am considering cutting them back 3/8".

I would like to find a improved version of the STM as well for the 12" rack.

The snare throw/butt replacement inquiry?... New MAG throw and butt?

The tom/snare rims are tired as well but in working order. Just a bit pitted and dechromed from the padded cases retaining moisture/condensation. Primarily from temp and humidity changes during flights and travel.

This is a sentimental kit. My mother died in 95 and when I turned 18 I bought this kit with the social security money that was given to me instead of spending it towards college. I'd like to keep this kit intact and preserved in remembrance of her.

My name is Ian Bottomley from Louisville KY and am looking forward to any replies with info or not.

Cheers

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 607
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    508.6 KB · Views: 606
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    711.2 KB · Views: 601
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 611
  • E.jpg
    E.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 599
  • F.jpg
    F.jpg
    577.3 KB · Views: 603
  • G.jpg
    G.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 592
Hey all, I am new and actually, this is my first post to the Drummerworld forums. I am here because of this thread. I have a maple 1997 DW kit in regal royal blue. I bought this kit new in the summer of 97. I extensively toured with this rig over the course of a decade and found my projects/bands calling it quits. I still play but as of now lightly travel with a birch 2015 DW Collectors Series in black mirra so, I've kinda sorta retired the 97 DW. It lives in my rehearsal studio and set free of any more road rash. Aside from having padded cases (hold moisture/condensation), I have kept quite good care of the kit. After a storm rolled through Louisville KY forcing a tree onto the studio space I have decided to bring the kit to the house and meticulously go through and clean it up.

After removing all hardware and components a few things popped out to me.

1-Within the first year I toured I first noticed a split in the interior shell at the floor tom leg mount tensioner. (PIC 1 circled blue) I soon realized that the techs were tightening the tensioner bolt after removing the floor legs. After removing the leg mount I noticed the tensioner key protrudes deeper than it needs.(PIC 2 circled blue)

2-Two of the floor tom leg mount tensioner keys were the same and one was slightly different and the mounts themselves had countersunk holes. (PIC 3 circled blue)

3-The third floor tom leg mount and tensioner key was not countersunk and the tensioner key itself was larger in diameter. (PIC 3 circled green)

4-You can see (PIC 3 in white) the mount gaskets seem to have been bored out where the tensioner key protrudes past the mount and into the shell. The bottom right mount came from the Suspension Tom Mount hardware for the 12" rack. (PIC 3 in red) As you can see it is clearly a different design. The bolt inserts through the back of the mount and the tensioner key nut receives the excess upon torque.

5-The rack tom STM has gotten tired in time. The grommets are torn and the thing has shown signs of sag and has worn into the rack shell. (PIC 4) You can see in (PIC 5) the improved STM on the 2015 DW 12' rack is shaped to restrict sag and wear into the shells.

6-The 16x5.5 maple snare in great shape however the throw and butt is tired, of course. (PIC 6 & 7) Will the new style MAG throws and butts fit and install? My 16x7 black nickel over brass has them and I love the throw and the 3 position butt.

SO....

Does anyone know why the floor tom leg mounts would be different, constructed the way they were and if this was a common issue for DW as well as with the rack tom STM ?

The floor tom has always upset me. I hadn't had the thing for a year before I noticed the issue and I should have reached out to the local dealer at the time but I never did.

I have lug gaskets for the kick drum on order as for some reason, they never had them as well as a few tom/snare lug gaskets for the badges. The vents do not have gaskets and I am having trouble sourcing them. I could I suppose purchase the vents themselves but I really don't want to spend the money.

The floor tom leg mounts are pretty pricey too of course but I feel they should be correct to the kit but my OCD is not fond of the mismatched tensioner keys and especially the length of the key. I am considering cutting them back 3/8".

I would like to find a improved version of the STM as well for the 12" rack.

The snare throw/butt replacement inquiry?... New MAG throw and butt?

The tom/snare rims are tired as well but in working order. Just a bit pitted and dechromed from the padded cases retaining moisture/condensation. Primarily from temp and humidity changes during flights and travel.

This is a sentimental kit. My mother died in 95 and when I turned 18 I bought this kit with the social security money that was given to me instead of spending it towards college. I'd like to keep this kit intact and preserved in remembrance of her.

My name is Ian Bottomley from Louisville KY and am looking forward to any replies with info or not.

Cheers

I've played so many backline/rental DW kits with warped and sagging STMs with the gaskets (that go around the lugs) ripped up, or missing entirely.

Also pretty typical on the DW kits that I've played, are tom brackets (the clamshell design like yours, right before the newest style) that, even when tightened down as much as possible, still won't stay put on the L-rod. DW makes some great looking drums, and a lot of them sound nice. But they seem like they're meant for home or studio use. They just don't seem to take kindly to road wear.

I've played so many backline/rental DW kits with warped and sagging STMs with the gaskets (that go around the lugs) ripped up, or missing entirely.

Also pretty typical on the DW kits that I've played, are tom brackets (the clamshell design like yours, right before the newest style) that, even when tightened down as much as possible, still won't stay put on the L-rod. DW makes some great looking drums, and a lot of them sound nice. But they seem like they're meant for home or studio use. They just don't seem to take kindly to road wear.

Yea, in hindsight I should have reached out to the local dealer at the first sign of fatigue but of course I didn't. The kit is 21 years old and has held up remarkably for the travel its seen. Humidity in Central America to sub zero temps in Greenland.

The 2015 Collectors kit that I play out now is solid. The new STM rig is better and the new style leg mounts are stout.

I think the reason for the backline kits STM gaskets and sag are attributed to the angle at which the tom is mounted. More tilt allows for off camber instability.

Luckily I play prefer my rack at about a 10* tilt.

Cheers
-Ian

The pictures show some out dated hardware. The floor tom brackets are much better now and are rock solid.

The snare's butt plate can be upgraded with the newer 3 position model. The old style drop throw off is junk. The new mag throw off is great. Should be a direct replacement part.

I'D guess something impacted the floor tom bracket and caused the shell to split. That can even happen if hard cases unless they are Anvil or some other type of flight case.

As for as the STM get some new gaskets and upgrade the bracket if needed. Rubber will deteriorate over time. Take a look at 20 year old tires. lol.

The new DW brackets and hardware are as bullet proof as you can get.

I think the reason for the backline kits STM gaskets and sag are attributed to the angle at which the tom is mounted. More tilt allows for off camber instability.

Luckily I play prefer my rack at about a 10* tilt.

Cheers
-Ian

Well that's not a very good mount then (the older version), if it's only usable at certain angles. I've had way too much trouble with DW drums/pedals/hardware in the past to really have faith in their durability at this point. They certainly do look nice, though.

The pictures show some out dated hardware. The floor tom brackets are much better now and are rock solid.

The snare's butt plate can be upgraded with the newer 3 position model. The old style drop throw off is junk. The new mag throw off is great. Should be a direct replacement part.

I'D guess something impacted the floor tom bracket and caused the shell to split. That can even happen if hard cases unless they are Anvil or some other type of flight case.

As for as the STM get some new gaskets and upgrade the bracket if needed. Rubber will deteriorate over time. Take a look at 20 year old tires. lol.

The new DW brackets and hardware are as bullet proof as you can get.

Thanks for the reply.

I am certain the floor tom splits were from the tension key on the mount being tightened without the leg in the mount during a load out. There is a split and indent from the bolt end of the key on each mount location.

I have Humes & Burg hardshell cases for this kit and as mention previously they are padded. About 4 years ago I had removed the padding after learning how toxic they can be to the shells hardware.

As upset as I can be about the floor tom I have decided to carry one with the current mounts and just shave off about 1/8" from the length of that tension keys however, whats done is done.

As for the snare throw and butt.... AWESOME!!!! I will put an order in.

The STM mounts have come a long way!!

Cheers
-Ian

Well that's not a very good mount then (the older version), if it's only usable at certain angles. I've had way too much trouble with DW drums/pedals/hardware in the past to really have faith in their durability at this point. They certainly do look nice, though.

The STM brackets have come a long way. I remember seeing guys turn the toms in more than a 45* angle and watching the mount bracket flex. I've never really understood that approach but I prefer to play over the kit.

As for DW hardware in general, I have found them to be incredibly durable in regards to pedals and stands. Of course with the durability comes weight. In several instances while touring, I'd need to keep my trap case under a certain weight. In would go various lighter duty stands I had.

I've never had a piece of DW hardware strip or break on me. Im still using a snare and hi hat stand I have had for 20+ years.

Check out these pedals in the pic attached.

Cheers
-Ian

Attachments

• IMG_20180809_164216_314.jpg
    IMG_20180809_164216_314.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 517
Back