Tama Superstar Hyperdrive - I'm in Love

NIMBYYYY

Ive had my SS hypers for almost four months, bought all new Coated Ambassadors like you recommended...theyre going on tonight...will post pics!!

Awwwesome, good choice on heads there.

my new kit came yesterday, a Tama Superstar Hyperdrive in a Brushed Vintage Blue wrap

it is seriously one of the most beautiful kits to play and it sounds so good, even with the crappy stock heads!
although i will be putting coated ambassadors on all the tom batters very soon...
also the roadpro hardware i got with it is great, very sturdy.
all i need is a double tom stand now.

Specs:
10x6.5
12x7
14x12
16x14
22x18

Snares
Pearl Joey Jordison Sig. - 13x6.5
Tama Superstar - 14x5.5

Cymbals
- all Zildjian
14" ZBT HiHats (changing soon)
16" A Custom Crash
8" ZXT Splash (changing soon)
21" A Sweet Ride (brilliant finish)
16" ZBT Crash (changing soon)
14" ZXT Total Trash China (cracked, very unhappy)

P.S. the pictures are pretty bad, my drum room doesnt have a good light in it and
its not the best for getting good photos in but these will do 'til i get some decent
ones

the finish is alot more blue than what it looks in the photos, once again, very dark room!

Sweet kit...your throne makes me dizzy...is that a Pork Pie??

I have been building my Superstar kit gradually since 2007 and I have to agree they are the best drums for the price.
Photo0171.jpg

Photo0180.jpg

Photo0200.jpg

I just put one of these on lay away at a local music store I made the mistake of going into today and fell in love with it. I can hardly wait to get it out.

1008111414.jpg

1008111414a.jpg

1008111424.jpg

I just put one of these on lay away at a local music store I made the mistake of going into today and fell in love with it. I can hardly wait to get it out.

specs on that beast?

specs on that beast?

Its got two 20 x 22" kicks 12 13 and 14 rack toms and a 16" floor tom, no snare but I have 5 of those already. The only thing I wish it had was a 18" floor tom and its a discontinued finish and I cant find one anywhere. I did find a 8 10 tom tom and 14" floor tom. I don't know why I would need a 14" rack tom and 14" floor tom but plan on getting the 8 and 10 rack toms though and maybe the 14" floor tom.

Its got two 20 x 22" kicks 12 13 and 14 rack toms and a 16" floor tom, no snare but I have 5 of those already. The only thing I wish it had was a 18" floor tom and its a discontinued finish and I cant find one anywhere. I did find a 8 10 tom tom and 14" floor tom. I don't know why I would need a 14" rack tom and 14" floor tom but plan on getting the 8 and 10 rack toms though and maybe the 14" floor tom.

Loving the deep kicks in the large kit - the deep kicks only come in 5 piece in the catalogue sets.

I'd definitely pick up the 14 FT and flip the 14 RT - make some room for the 8 and 10!

If you do source an 18" FT (could refinish one to match) then that kit would be SCARY!

Love it.

I aspire to a hyperdrive kit some day - love the look and sound!

The stock heads that came on my were god awful, wouldn't tune for the life of them haha.
Hopefully I will have a set of Clear G1's batter and resonant on them in a few weeks.

Personally, I would go the Red finish.

Will you be getting the 6 piece setup?

I think the big difference is you swapped clear for coated. The stock heads sound good to me with one moongel applied to each although I will be replacing them in the near future but don't know where to go, thinking G2 clear on top and glass reso or g1 clear on bottom, maybe onyx on top, just not sure yet.

One thing that weird on these is the fact that they went from birch basswood mix to all birch around 2009? I figured out that mine is all birch, they started stating "all birch shell" on the sticker inside so people would stop contacting them trying to identify what they have, but if I am not mistaken isn't basswood darker than birch?
Anyway the stock heads "Tama powercraft 250" are made by Evans and are the equivalent to Evans G2 clear and are mylar. I really like the way they sound and am going to go with G2 clear on the top and G1 clear on the bottom.

Back