Converting a bass drum into a gong drum?

hateplow

Silver Member
Could you make a gong drum by removing the resonant side of of a bass drum?

Yes but it technically wouldn't be a "Gong Drum". Gong Drums generally have a shell 1" to 2" smaller than the head. Like 22" with a 24" head. There is someone on here, I forget who, who just got a DW with a gong drum and it's a 21" shell with a 22" head.

Yes but it technically wouldn't be a "Gong Drum". Gong Drums generally have a shell 1" to 2" smaller than the head. Like 22" with a 24" head. There is someone on here, I forget who, who just got a DW with a gong drum and it's a 21" shell with a 22" head.

That would be me :) Yes my DW gong drum is a 21x16 shell with a 22in head. Also the Pork Pie gong drum I have is 18x16 with a 20in head. The pork pie has a resonant head where the DW does not. They both have different ways to attach the batter head. The DW uses the standard wood bass drum hoops and the lugs look like they have rubber extensions between the lug and shell. The Pork pie is a little different ... the lugs are stock but they have a insert that screws into them that angles out and clamps onto the head itself... so no wood hoop just the head. The Pork Pie seems to resonate more but it could just be the head that is on it. The DW has a stock head and the Pork Pie has a G2 Coated.

That would be me :) Yes my DW gong drum is a 21x16 shell with a 22in head. Also the Pork Pie gong drum I have is 18x16 with a 20in head. The pork pie has a resonant head where the DW does not. They both have different ways to attach the batter head. The DW uses the standard wood bass drum hoops and the lugs look like they have rubber extensions between the lug and shell. The Pork pie is a little different ... the lugs are stock but they is a insert that screws into them that angles out and clamps onto the head itself... so no wood hoop. The Pork Pie seems to resonate more but it could just be the head that is on the DW. The DW has a stock head and the Pork Pie has a G2 Coated.

So would it be possible to convert a regular bass into a gong drum and install the larger head or would the lugs not go in at the angle needed?

The tension rods probably wouldn't be able to make the angle into the lugs, especially with standard wood hoops (and remember you'd have to buy a new hoop as well). After all, bass drum lugs are already usually a little taller than tom/snare lugs to accommodate the wood hoops, or else the tension rods will bind up from the angle. Either that or the bass lugs have slightly thicker gaskets - both different solutions to the same problem.

So would it be possible to convert a regular bass into a gong drum and install the larger head or would the lugs not go in at the angle needed?

Here is pics of the 2 gong drums I have. Hopefully this will help. I would say that setting up your currnet bass like the DW would be easiest. Im thinking spacers would be easier to come by than the custom lugs like on the tama or extra insert that screws in like on the Porkpie.

DW Gong 21x16 with 22in head

DWgong.jpg

DW7.jpg

Pork Pie Gong 18x16 with 20in head

Pork2.jpg

Pork.jpg

This is not mine , but here is a Tama Starclassic Gong Drum so you can see how they mount the head. Its similar to the Pork Pie

gongbass4.jpg

Last edited:
The tension rods probably wouldn't be able to make the angle into the lugs, especially with standard wood hoops (and remember you'd have to buy a new hoop as well). After all, bass drum lugs are already usually a little taller than tom/snare lugs to accommodate the wood hoops, or else the tension rods will bind up from the angle. Either that or the bass lugs have slightly thicker gaskets - both different solutions to the same problem.

Check out the pics I posted, it should give everyone a idea of what would be needed.

As I have built a few of these FOR Drummers, using Their type of Drum Shell {So it is consistant with the rest of their kit!}
I can deffinantly tell you from Experience, if you want the TRUE "Gong Bass" sound that was first Developed by Tama with Billy Cobham back in the Early 80's, you NEED the "Tympany" style Drum Lugs that tilt outward so you can utilize a Larger head.

It is the Larger Head that GIVES the "Gong Bass" its so called "Gong" Effect! It is the Larger, Over-Sized head that MAKES the Drum really resonate.
You will also need to have a Metal Drum Hoop the SAME size AS the Drum Head. No matter what the shell size is. 22" Head, 22" Hoop. 24" Head, 24" Hoop, and so on.

I also suggest for those that HAVE "Gong Basses" to get tunning Bolts that have locking capabilites, so you can really "Down Tune" the drum to get the Drum's MAX Bottom end Resanance without the dreaded, "Lug Bolt Rattle".
And PLEASE don't Ever use "Lock Tight" on Drum Lug tunning bolts! It will screw up your Lugs' treads, the Tunning bolts everything! THEN you will have to replace them all!

Deffinantly Not good!

Any other Questions, feel free to contact me at: tama [email protected].

Back