My drums!

iwearnohats

Silver Member
Well, I finally got myself a rack, and felt the kit was now worthy of displaying on here finally. Also, I was too lazy to take photos before.

Anyway, I picked up second hand Icon rack, with 9 rack clamps and about half a dozen cymbal arms for AU$500, which I was blown away about!

So, here is the "Before" photo:

Cymbals and percussion all lined up:

Crashes:
All Paiste:
16" Dark Energy Crash (Top Right)
18" Alpha Thin Swiss Crash (Second from Top Right)
18" Signature Full Crash (Middle, Top)
19" Signature Heavy Full Crash (Middle-ish)
20" Giant Beat Multi (Bottom, second from left).

Hats
14" Signature Dark Crisp (Bottom Left) - auxiliary hats
13" Signature Dark Crisp (Middle-ish, right-ish) - primary hats

Ride
24" Meinl Byzance Medium Ride (Right)

Splashes
UFIP Class Series Splashes (various weights)
6", 8", 10", 11" (L shape, Top Left)

Trashy Stack
10" Stagg Splash + 10" Stagg China (Bottom Left, above 14" hats)
I forget the model names, ST, or something.

Chinese
Meinl Byzance
16" China (Top Right)
20" China (Bottom Middle)

Percussion bits from left to right:

6" Concert Tom (Pro max brand or something)
8" Concert Tom (Pro max brand or something)
Full size Tambourine
Cowbell (8" or something, cheapie, sounds great)
Fire Alarm Bell
Pedal mounted 6" Legacy brand Cowbell

Rack Parts:

Arms and clamps:

Drums ready to go:

Toms:
Gretsch USA Maple: 10", 12", 14"
Gretsch Renown Maple: 16"

Bassdrum:
Gretsch USA Maple 22"x18"

Snares:
13"x7" Ludwig Black Magic Brass
12" Pearl Firecracker Poplar

Building the foundation:

Finished!

It took over 3 hours to tear down and set everything up completely from scratch. The hardest part was initially figuring out what to use to mount things, since I had such a huge pile of stuff to choose from, but as things came together it got easier :).

I have two other snare drums as well as the Ludwig:
14"x6.5" Sleishman Jarrah stave shell: Very loud, great 'bitey' Jarrah sound. Good for loud, heavy music and small, loud venues with no mics

14"x5" Gretsch USA Maple snare. I have it set up as a 'generic' sounding snare drum. Very nice musical sound, but rarely comes out of the bag these days due to me playing fewer generic gigs :)

Also not pictured: My Pearl Demon Drive double pedal. I forgot to bring it with me, along with my throne. I don't usually sit on that awful office chair :). They always come home with me for practise on the V-drums.

Last edited:
It took over 3 hours to tear down and set everything up completely from scratch. The hardest part was initially figuring out what to use to mount things, since I had such a huge pile of stuff to choose from, but as things came together it got easier :).

That's quite a nice set up. I hope you don't have to gig with it. :)

I have gigged with most of it a couple of times while I was using stands :). I didn't have the concert toms, the cowbell or the fire alarm bell set up. Fortunately the gigs I have used my current setup (which has grown substantially the last few years) I'm actually involved with the people who organised the gigs, so they knew what to expect :).

I will most likely downsize it for 'regular gigs though. I should be able to remove the LH side of the rack, for a start, and swap a couple of cymbals over, leave bits and pieces at home, etc., depending on the gig. I will probably make adjustments over time with regards to having a 'modular' set up. My old set up was actually based around a standard 5 piece set up, and the hardware was configured as such so that I could remove excess pieces and be left with 2 crashes and a ride cymbal, without having to reconfigure anything. I hope to do the same with this one once I have had time to think about it :)

Back