John Bonham Snare on the bay

They look like the same number to me. The "4" looks like a 7 to me. The 4 in the date is completely different looking.

That price is CRA-ZEE!

Last edited:
Didn't Grohl just buy a JB snare for $85,000?
Seeing as this belonged to the 'swirl' kit, and never gigged, not surprised it looks so mint and unused.

Mine is from 1978 and looks a bit better. I only paid $450. I'll stick with mine. Bonham probably didn't even play that one (if it's actually the one) since that kit he never gigged. Didn't he give it away to somebody anyway?

Mine is from 1978 and looks a bit better. I only paid $450. I'll stick with mine. Bonham probably didn't even play that one (if it's actually the one) since that kit he never gigged. Didn't he give it away to somebody anyway?

There's pics of him playing the B&W swirl kit at home. I take it the snare is the very one used in those pics. So whilst never gigged at a Zeppelin show, he played 'em all right.

Yep, gave it to music journo and author Chris Welch.

There's pics of him playing the B&W swirl kit at home. I take it the snare is the very one used in those pics. So whilst never gigged at a Zeppelin show, he played 'em all right.

Yep, gave it to music journo and author Chris Welch.

OK. I stand corrected. After all those iconic photos of him behind green sparkle, maple, amber vistalite , stainless steel.....I don't know if I can picture him playing black and white swirl.

OK. I stand corrected. After all those iconic photos of him behind green sparkle, maple, amber vistalite , stainless steel.....I don't know if I can picture him playing black and white swirl.

There was a guy here who used one of the swirl pics as his avatar. Unfortunately, I reckon he might have been the guy who lost the plot recently and was banned for being a flog. I'll try and find a pic and post it up.

EDIT: here's some pics of Bonzo on said kit and the background story behind Welch getting his hands on it. Although, now it is I who stands corrected......at least on the Supra. In these he's playing the snare that came with the kit: http://www.feelnumb.com/2010/12/10/rare-john-bonham-drum-kit-auctioned-off-in-2008/

Last edited:
402's get the Bonham name attached tothem all the time,automaticly making them more valueable. the sellers eyes.Nonsense.700 bucks the most.,there's no provenance conected with that drum,but the fact that Bonzo played them.

Steve B

402's get the Bonham name attached tothem all the time,automaticly making them more valueable. the sellers eyes.Nonsense.700 bucks the most.,there's no provenance conected with that drum,but the fact that Bonzo played them.

Steve B

it says it comes with auction house documentation and if the numbers match, its sounds like the real dael.

There was a guy here who used one of the swirl pics as his avatar. Unfortunately, I reckon he might have been the guy who lost the plot recently and was banned for being a flog. I'll try and find a pic and post it up.

EDIT: here's some pics of Bonzo on said kit and the background story behind Welch getting his hands on it. Although, now it is I who stands corrected......at least on the Supra. In these he's playing the snare that came with the kit: http://www.feelnumb.com/2010/12/10/rare-john-bonham-drum-kit-auctioned-off-in-2008/

added in the comments section of those photos its pointed out that JB is sitting behind a concert tom swirl kit with a post mount in typical sizes

yet, the kit sold to the Hire company (and then to Mick Fleetwood) are JB-sized with bottom heads and a rail mount

scam

added in the comments section of those photos its pointed out that JB is sitting behind a concert tom swirl kit with a post mount in typical sizes

yet, the kit sold to the Hire company (and then to Mick Fleetwood) are JB-sized with bottom heads and a rail mount

scam

I always thought it was a scam as well, the kits never matched. however I did read somewhere that he was given a lot of 15 drums from Ludwig at the time in the swirl pattern so that would explain all of the sizes he had.

If I had $17K I would so not buy this drum. I can't imagine anyone plunking down that kind of money on something that might be, in a round-a-bout way an actual Bonham drum.

Not enough documentation IMO, especially for that kind of money. I would throw money at something documented and without a doubt, real. Take the Bennett's drum studio collection for example.

I'd get it, but no free shipping, so Im out. A jack at that price IMO.

Hey BillBachman, what's happening with REMOTE SPEEDY?

I have to agree there is not enough provi to prove this was Bonham's snare drum.

Part of their proof is "Comes with pages of internet print offs and newsletters about Johns Ludwig Swirl Kit." Whoppie doo!

The pictures show Bonham behind a matching swirl drum, not the drum pictured on ebay.

A letter showing music store bought it from someone who knew Bonham doesn't directly tie it to Bonham himself. Proof it was rented to other people does nothing either.

At most, it might have been in Bonham's house at one point time, but there is zero evidence he played it.

Further, for the price asking, there would have to be proof it was the exact snare used on stage or studio. Just being the extra snare John had at home doesn't make it more valuable than any other identical snare of that time period.

If Ludwig kept records of the drums it supplied to endorsee's with matching serial numbers as that drum has, maybe it would help to prove JB ownership at one time.
Bermuda, what do think of that idea?

I have to agree there is not enough provi to prove this was Bonham's snare drum.

For 17K asking price one could dust for Bonzos finger prints, could possibly show up on the drum. 50 year old prints can be lifted if they're there.

In 77' Bonham was arrested on assault charges in Oakland CA. A record of his prints might still exist.

Hmm. When I click on the link, I get the ebay listing, but there is absolutely nothing in the comments. It's just blank white space. I do see that shipping would be $12.62. That seems fair.

Back