Custom snare?

Maybe you should buy a snare thats already made and that you can tryout first, then in a couple of years when you've played more snares and really know what you're after you can get a custom snare to your specific needs.

I don't remember how long you've been playing, I think it must be over a year (or 2 ?)now ?

Your taste in sound will probably change in the next few years, maybe drastically, It would be a shame to buy a 400$ custom snare and then not like it anymore and have difficulties reselling it (custom drums have a lower resale value than a "known brand" run of the mill drum.

BLACK BEAUTY!

And twenty characters too.

Yeah, I would definately go with a company that makes their own shells. MOST companies use Kellar shells for their "custom" drums. It's not quite a custom drum if Spaun, C and C, even Orange County use Kellar shells. Do some research in to the custom drum companies. You'll find that REAL custom drums are way better in most cases (someone actually has to create a shell from scratch, not just mock it up) than those sold by said companies. If you get a kellar shell from Spaun, it's gonna sound the same as a drum from another company that uses kellar. I think kellar shells might cost about $100 and all the companies do is cut bearing edges and drill for hardware. Grrrrr....If you check out kellars web site they have a list of companies they supply for drum shells...and it's pretty depressing...Anyway, enough about kellar, save more money and buy a custom snare where someone has actually taken the time and effort to create an actual work of art, not something that is just taken and added to.

Exactly...hence Unix (and similar companies)!

Get a black beauty, you will NOT regret it. I've owned dozens of snares and played many more and it far outshines any of them. They are all purpose snares, that shine in every musical genre and scenario. I can't name one flaw the drum has. Like someone said earlier, it outdoes all the custom drum companies without even being custom.

The idea of getting a proper custom snare sounds great to me. I'm not gonna bother suggesting Highwood as they're all the way over here in the UK and there are so many great US custom makers, but again if i ever get a top range kit i'm so having them build it simply because what i can get for the price simply outshines anything by SJC,OCDP, C+C whatever for like half the price, but oh no no powdercoated hardware. What a shame.

Well, it seems like the Black Beauty is the consensus so far. Seems like I can't go wrong with it.

Let's see, $525 for the 5x14 at Steve Weiss...

Well, it seems like the Black Beauty is the consensus so far. Seems like I can't go wrong with it.

Let's see, $525 for the 5x14 at Steve Weiss...

Do you happen to have any local stores around you besides Guitar Center?

Do you happen to have any local stores around you besides Guitar Center?

Well, there's this small music shop, but they barely have anything. And then there's Best Buy. That's all.

However, there is Chuck Levins, a famous music place, in Maryland, about an hour away. But Guitar Center's closer.

Well, there's this small music shop, but they barely have anything. And then there's Best Buy. That's all.

However, there is Chuck Levins, a famous music place, in Maryland, about an hour away. But Guitar Center's closer.

Ahh, bummer. I could walk to my local GC if I wanted to ;D

Ahh, bummer. I could walk to my local GC if I wanted to ;D

WHAT THE F DUDE STOP MAKING ME FEEL BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, but seriously: That hurts. If I found out they were building a local Guitar Center, I would run there.

GC sucks ...most of the guys don't even know what they are talking about there. I had a guy try are tell me an imperalstar was made out of the same maple that the starclassics are

GC sucks ...most of the guys don't even know what they are talking about there. I had a guy try are tell me an imperalstar was made out of the same maple that the starclassics are

Haha yeah, but it's the only place where you can go to buy / test out anything and everything.

WHAT THE F DUDE STOP MAKING ME FEEL BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, but seriously: That hurts. If I found out they were building a local Guitar Center, I would run there but it's pretty close. I might ride my bike there someday. It'd be fun.

hahaha well it's about 3 miles away and would probably take a half hour to and hour to walk/run there. I might ride my bike there some day. It'd be fun.

Haha yeah, but it's the only place where you can go to buy / test out anything and everything.

agreed

hahaha well it's about 3 miles away and would probably take a half hour to and hour to walk/run there. I might ride my bike there some day. It'd be fun.

I ride my bike EVERYWHERE...it's so fun. Although I'm lucky enough to live in an area where bike paths wind throughout the entire city/town

As an alternative to the nickle plated Black Beauty, here is a brass shelled 402 supra covered in chrome with brass hardware, Millenium strainer, and die cast hoops. The only real difference between this and the BB is the nickle vs. chrome coating.

Ludwig LB402BBTWM

What can I say, this is one I'm drooling over

Steve Weiss has them for $545 , which seems like a pretty good deal

Attachments

• Ludwig LB402BBTWM.jpg
    Ludwig LB402BBTWM.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 339
Wow i'm quite impressed you're with in walking distance of anything being in the US.

hahah yeah totally! I can walk to walmart, (right by GC) the mall, (only about a 1/2 mile from my house) A different music store, (doesn't really have much but is about a mile from my house) the bank, (1/2 mile) Home depot, (if I wanted to ;D) and a BUNCH of other places (fast food restarants, hotels, small littles stores i.e. a cake shop and small pizza parlor).

It seems the black beauty is already been decided on, but i just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on the cherry bomb...
as a 'Udrum Artist' myself, I absolutely love the company, and the cherry bomb is no exception... i personally dont own one because i play 13" snares (that being the only reason i dont own a cherry bomb yet) but they are fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fantastic sounding...
you can hear it better on silversteins album 'arrivals and departures' and it sounds epic!

I have had nothing but an amazing experience working with the guys at UDRUM, i would recommend them to anyone looking for a great kit!

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems the black beauty is already been decided on, but i just wanted to throw in my 2 !

I was emailing with someone at UDRUM, and he was very nice and helpful. They can make the drum cheaper (around 400) by taking off the nice throw-off and replace the diecast hoops with triple-flanged hoops.

I really would like to know how the two compare, though...all the UDRUM guy said was that they are "louder" and "just as full."

Last edited by a moderator:
I was emailing with someone at UDRUM, and he was very nice and helpful. They can make the drum cheaper (around 400) by taking off the nice throw-off and replace the diecast hoops with triple-flanged hoops.

I really would like to know how the two compare, though...all the UDRUM guy said was that they are "louder" and "just as full."

He's right in a sense, diecast hoops basically choke the shells more than triple flanged hoops simply because they're heavier in mass. Diecast are a lot more durable and they're used in a lot of snares basically because some maniacs manage to break triple flanged hoops by doing too many rimshots. I've got a triple flanged or maybe a 2.3mm i dunno hoop on my snare and it seems to be holding up rather well to be honest, i haven't broken it yet.

He's right in a sense, diecast hoops basically choke the shells more than triple flanged hoops simply because they're heavier in mass. Diecast are a lot more durable and they're used in a lot of snares basically because some maniacs manage to break triple flanged hoops by doing too many rimshots. I've got a triple flanged or maybe a 2.3mm i dunno hoop on my snare and it seems to be holding up rather well to be honest, i haven't broken it yet.

Die-casts also tend to tune easier and stay in tune for longer, but it really comes down to preference with hoops.

Back