Show us your Rackless tom Set Ups

from a month or two ago? or longer, i forget.
61005551.jpg

set up i used with my last band.
70174813.jpg

didn't really like this set up. i love the feel of a kit with no rack toms, but after doing that for over a year i kinda wanted some more toms again and tried this. now i'm back to a more "traditional" set up with a 1-up 1-down. happy. :)
drmsetup.jpg

I've been playing three-piece for eight years or so. Pictured is my setup, the bass and floor belong to the bass player, my set is an old red sparkle Pearl, I'll get a picture Sunday. I used to play in allot of different bands from jazz to hip hop to metal to oldies but I'm only playing church music now. I'm having a great time with it, we're really changing up the music parts and having allot of fun with it.

I've got an old MIJ 20" sizzle ride, an old Zildjian 18" crash and UFIP 14" hats. I'm using a 13x3 steel piccolo now but the one in the picture is an off brand 14" x 4.5" snare. I've also got the LP cowbell and mount that I got for free from GC, it was a used bargain bin special that was screwed up in the computer, they ended up giving it to me for nothing, further cementing my loyalty to their store.

Attachments

• drums.jpg
    drums.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 3,736
already posted on other thread but might as well again here

Attachments

• P1945_16-09-10.jpg
    P1945_16-09-10.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 3,875
Here is the extremely rare occasion I don't have a 26 or 28 kick live. I always play a 3 piece, just 99% of the time not with a 22. This pic is from halloween

22x14 Ludwig Chome-o-vistalite bass
16x16-Ludwig Chrome-o-vistalite floor tom
14x5 77 Ludwig acrolite

sounds awesome mic-ed up, but I look weird with a 22 I think.

Attachments

• methhm.JPG
    methhm.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 3,516
I ran this setup for a couple of months. Fun, but ultimately limiting for the straightahead style of rock we play. The symmetrical thing was great though, and I did it partly to inspire myself to get my left hand lead stronger. It worked well, and I play more and more left hand hihat now, even though I'm back to my normal 1-up 2-down setup again.

Pardon the crap pictures, they were snapped with a bad cell phone camera.

NoRack01.jpg

NoRack03.jpg

Finally got a picture of MY set. Old Pearl set, three ply mahogany with reinforcing rings, 22x14 bass, and 16x16 floor tom. My 13x3 piccolo snare. 14"UFIP Bravo hats, 18" Zildjian crash (Old A?), my 20" MIJ sizzle ride and my new 21" Sabian HH raw bell dry ride.

Attachments

• 1226101035.jpg
    1226101035.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 3,502
  • 1226101036.jpg
    1226101036.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 3,487
  • 1226101037.jpg
    1226101037.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 3,487
If rackless is what you want, rackless is what you get....

Attachments

• ludwig2.jpg
    ludwig2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 3,377
  • ludwig1.jpg
    ludwig1.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 3,367
I used this set up for one of my bands when it started. This was about 4 years ago.
I really like the feel with no rack tom.
I went back to using one tom and a "regular" type cymbal set up after a while though.

I've used a left side ft for many years and love it. I sometimes use 2 on each side and that's a (L)14-16, (R)16-18 set up.
It's really fun, but a lot of stuff to haul.

I still use 1 tom, but I've been using only 2 cymbals lately (a 24 and a 20), and I really like the feel of it.
Sometimes I use more, but I really like just 2 cymbals (and hats and my gong).

Don't feel like I'm "missing anything" when I use the 2 cymbal set up either.
AND it's fast and easy packing up and a really light cymbal bag!

I don't know why I had the gong up so high though...

ctokitfrontcloser.jpg

I've tried playing with a left FT for a little while. It didn't really work out for me though, i couldn't reach it. Anytime i did try to hit it it would throw of my playing. I coulnd't imagine having to toms off to the left.

Do you ever have trouble using them?

from a month or two ago? or longer, i forget.
61005551.jpg

set up i used with my last band.
70174813.jpg

didn't really like this set up. i love the feel of a kit with no rack toms, but after doing that for over a year i kinda wanted some more toms again and tried this. now i'm back to a more "traditional" set up with a 1-up 1-down. happy. :)
drmsetup.jpg

wow are those ozone hi hats??

I guess i shouldve named this thread 'show us your rack tomless set ups' not rackless
Hm.. oh well

This is my mutt setup. The bass drum is a "Sunlite", made in taiwan, it is 22x16. The floor tom used to be a CB700 rack tom, it's 14x12. The snare is a no name 13x3 steel piccolo. I've also got a 14x5 wood snare. All the drums used in this setup were free, I've got a nice set of old Pearls, but find myself liking these drums allot more. One day, I'll re-wrap them all in black sparkle.

I'm using a UFIP Bravo 14" top hat and a cut down (to 14") Zildjian Avedis heavy crash, with a couple holes drilled in it. I also use my Sabian 21" HH Raw Bell Ride, with a sizzle chain. On occasion I use an old 18" Zildjian Avedis medium crash. All the cymbals complement each other very well, took me ten years to get them just right.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 2,925
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 2,799
Mine doesn't really qualify, having no toms at all, but I need practice with my new mini-camera.

Here's the long view.I like how it looks set up across from the '69 Super Reverb.

DSCF0267.jpg

Back