New Snare drum :D

Khaine88

ok so i just got my new snare in. Its from an English custom company called highwood drums (www.highwooddrums.co.uk) i havent tried it yet though since it was delivered to my dads house where i have no stick :(.

anyway the snare specs
# size: 14" x 5.5"
#Shells: Solid maple Single plank, steam bent, lathed & fitted with re-enforcing rings
# Throw off: Traditional design
# Snares: Premium Highwood 42 strand bronze wires
# Finish: Deep Copper Pearl
# Heads: Evans Batter & Resonant

here are some pics enjoy... :)

04022009674.jpg

04022009676.jpg

04022009678.jpg

04022009679.jpg

Awesome addition!
I`ve heard many positive things about Highwood, they are said to be great, very experienced and exclusive.
Hehe, may I ask you how much this beauty costed you? I`m sure that it`ll be worth every cent since I experienced the pleasing-potential of cutsom made drums. :)

The drum itself must sound fat and very very woody. The reinforcement rings should add even more crack to it.

Congrats!

Karl

verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry nice, congrats,

the snare cost £400 i believe, but it was a birthday present to me from my mother. but i managed to persuadeher to let me have it a month early :D. just cant wait to get home and tune it up now and play on it. and thaks for the kind words Karl

That was very nice of your mum! Yeah highwood are an amazing drum company. I'm pretty proud of the fact that they're based right here in yorkshire, too :)

Last edited:
Great stuff. That is a thick snare which should really give a great warm tone. Shame on you for not having sticks in your car at the ready should a drum emergency present itself. And, lo! An emergency did, indeed appear;-)
Also, the AC plug in the first pic made it look like the drum plugged in. Made me chuckle.

Looks great! Enjoy and Happy Birthday!

Nice snare, I was just wondering if you have got a bigger snare bit (I meen on the bottom strings bit) what does it make it sound differently because i've got a really small one compared to you ???

Great looking snare. Interesting to see if it sounds better with more snares (as pictured) or less. I guess it's the sound you want out of it too.

Nice snare, I was just wondering if you have got a bigger snare bit (I meen on the bottom strings bit) what does it make it sound differently because i've got a really small one compared to you ???

i currently have a Pearl 42 strand snare on my Ludwig Supra 402. and despite it being the 14 X5.5", it sounds massive to me. not directly a result of the higher number of snares, but as i like an open and quite low tone on my snare it really helps the sensitivitly to bubble under with it backed off quite a bit. i have found it chokes the snare somewhat when wound on tight but when the heads are tuned right up the snare has some crack and an even greater amount of sensitivity. The Ludwig snare is a very different drum though! i cant see myself going down from 42 anytime soon but naturally there are amazing sounding drums with 20 etc! definately worth experimenting i think.

that Highwood looks fantastic.

Great stuff. That is a thick snare which should really give a great warm tone. Shame on you for not having sticks in your car at the ready should a drum emergency present itself. And, lo! An emergency did, indeed appear;-)
Also, the AC plug in the first pic made it look like the drum plugged in. Made me chuckle.

Looks great! Enjoy and Happy Birthday!

yea i am ashamed :(,

Ive Now finally got to tune it up and play it and it sounds amazing. thanks to the 42 stand snare its so responsive, allthough being in a tiled room it buzz's like hell when ever a loud noise is played. its very warm sounding and not to mention easy to tune, im gonna need to record it because its too hard to explain how awesome it is!.

thanks again for all the great comments guys

Last edited:
Back