6pc Unkindness Kit...

Raven Drums

First full kit that my Son and I built together. The kit is a 6 piece set with 8ply maple shells with reinforcement rings and an outer ply of waterfall bubinga, finished in the Unkindness scenic burst. The set consist of a 22" x 16" bass, 10" x 7", 12" x 8", 13" x 9" toms, 16" x 14" floor tom and a 14" x 5.5" snare. We both did the veneer work. I applied the burst and started showing him the technique for applying the scenery, which by the way, he did the entire bass drum. He did the sealer coats, I layed them up and he did the drilling, while I finished up the edges. He then assembled the entire kit. So you might ask, after all that, do I have help in the shop?...Ah no. He much rather play them then ever build them again.

Click on image to enlarge

Beauty! I like the tom mounts through the shell too. Do you have any pictures of the shells with the bubinga ply without the fade and artwork? No disrespect to the finish; I have a DW kit I am refinishing and I was thinking about a bubinga veneer. Awesome job and congrats on the child labor. I would ask my daughter to help me, but she would just draw Wubbzy on them with crayons or poop in her pants; she's two.

Very nice ..... very "gothic" ..... cool.

Beauty! I like the tom mounts through the shell too. Do you have any pictures of the shells with the bubinga ply without the fade and artwork? No disrespect to the finish; I have a DW kit I am refinishing and I was thinking about a bubinga veneer. Awesome job and congrats on the child labor. I would ask my daughter to help me, but she would just draw Wubbzy on them with crayons or poop in her pants; she's two.

Let me look atr some old photos, maybe I have one of them when they were in first stages of getting the veneer. And thanks for the compliments guys.

Absolutely stunning artwork! Certainly the best artwork I've seen in years. A fantastic celebration of the beauty of the wood. I don't think I've ever seen artwork applied to a wood finish that doesn't detract from the natural wonder of grain structure. Breathtaking, truly breathtaking!

Gorgeous kit! I like that there are no iso mounts to hide the finish.

'Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'-E.A. Poe.

Here are a few photos on the kit as it was being layed up with the veneer before going into the vac-press.

Click on image to enlarge

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning artwork! Certainly the best artwork I've seen in years. A fantastic celebration of the beauty of the wood. I don't think I've ever seen artwork applied to a wood finish that doesn't detract from the natural wonder of grain structure. Breathtaking, truly breathtaking!

Thank you very much. I wasn't sure myself if I could capture it as you have elegantly stated, but it was what we strived for all things considered, wood grain, colors, hardware, etc.

Gorgeous kit! I like that there are no iso mounts to hide the finish.

'Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'-E.A. Poe.

Thanks, my son does have much use for ISO mounts of any type, nor the need for a virgin bass...lol, but hey, everyone deserves to have the drums the way they want them. Thanks again.

hey stitch, thats a great idea to put an NHL team logo and colour scheme on a drum set, but its the wrong team!!! it should blue and white with a maple leafs logo!!!!

Really stunning finish. You don't see many drums with designs painted on them and this is a really nice one. This set has a lot of attitude and really stands out.

Thank you very much. That was the intent of the series, to provide truely one of a kind snares and sets.

hey stitch, thats a great idea to put an NHL team logo and colour scheme on a drum set, but its the wrong team!!! it should blue and white with a maple leafs logo!!!!
Well he wanted a team that at least makes the play-offs. :)

Beautiful work guys. I know that I would not drill all those holes in those shells after all that beautiful artwork.

Both of you are wrong... Blackhawks all the way!

Back