I Am Burned Out. Your Opinions?

chris_drb

Hi,

I have been playing drums for about 6 years and piano for about a year. For the past couple of months I have been busy practicing hard on both instruments along with other things such as school. I started to feel unmotivated about a week ago so I made a decision to quit music for a little bit to recharge my batteries and look for experiences else where. For example, not music related, I got a one month scholarship to stylelife.com. If anyone is apart of Stylelife, hit me up and tell me how your experience is going.

My plan is to continue to be apart of the stylelife academy and search for myself as a person while taking a break from music. Once I feel like it's time, I will be back motivated with the same fire I had.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

Last edited:
I have to take 2 or 3 weeks off from time to time just to get away and recharge. The past 2 years for me have been several surgeries and a few cd recordings so burning out hasnt happened. but when i am playing a lot, i need breaks occasionally.

It is a good idea to take a vacation from time to time. There is no sense in pushing yourself if you don't feel like playing. When you decide to play again you will feel like working harder on your music and you will be better for it. You're not Burned out! You just want to do other things for a while. I stopped playing in the mid 1980s and I returned to playing about four years ago. I was busy raising my kids and such. I enjoy playing more know than I ever have. I learn more and work harder because I have the time and the drive. Music is a lifetime hobby and not a full time job for most people. Music is like a loyal pet. It will wait patiently for you to return home to it. When you arrive back home, it will be your best friend. It will never leave you.

One question: Do you ever just play?

You mention you practice a lot, but no mention of playing in a band, or gigs.

I think it's easy to get burned out on JUST practice. Musicians need interaction to survive.

Maybe trying getting a jam session together, where you can play music with others. That might help bring the relief you're looking for.

Back