Things you do that annoy your bandmates

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
We usually hear about things our bandmates do that annoys us, but likely we annoy others as well. Here's what I do that annoys those I play with:

1. 16th notes on the bass drum
2. Hitting the China more than once per song.
3. Hogging all the room (I can't help it!)

What are your top 3 most annoying behaviors?

Hitting my snare before they put in there earplugs in.

8 x 14 pearl free- float w/ falam II marching head on it. = LOUD!!!!!!!!

2m5z1p5.jpg

I play in a jazz band w/ some real jazz heads (myself included) and if the song is going to crap, I fire off some rim shots on the snare to put an end to the mess we're playing (not on stage of course).

I zone out sometimes big time, especially when things are going slow, like when we're writing or discussing things etc.

'Gaz'
'...'
'Gaz!'
'...'
'GAZ!!!'
'what? sorry, I wasn't paying attention'

playing whilst there trying to talk at practice(they do the same thing ¬¬)
using my china at all, it got edited out completely at recording before i could stop em. so i make sure to use it a crap load live
double bass
using fills in a song my guitarist is adamant there should be none ¬¬

im sure theres more but i cba to go through them

See.....when guitarists "warm up" or "tune up" they are like a freakin golfer................SHUT the F UP because I am tuning beeeeeeeotch!

I jam and play and piss them off because they "Get pissed off on their own" without my help anyway.

Ha!

playing whilst there trying to talk at practice

As a drummer living in a flat I only get to play for the 3-hour practice we have weekly. Then the guys yap on and on about non-music stuff (they can play at home with amps turned down). My pleas to get going keep falling on deaf ears so I start playing louder and louder and louder until they give in. That's annoyance #1

I'm also critical about our performances. Even though it's been over 20 years since I've played in a strong band and my playing has gone way downhill since then through rust, emotionally I still (unrealistically) have the same expectations. Annoyance #2

eamesuser said:
Sometimes al I have to do is show up to rehearsal,and be,well,Me

Ditto. Annoyance #3

Telling them how a cool funk backbeat would fit into a song. HAHA

Funk is like Kriptonite to a true Metalhead. However, I snuck one in anyway and it worked.

I show up on time, and actually know the songs.

This often makes them look bad for being late and unprepared. hahaha

I too find myself messing around while the guitarists are tuning or fiddling with their amps. Maybe they shouldn't take so long with it. Another thing they just love is when I get bored practicing slow simple songs that we totally have down and throw random double bass fills into songs in which double bass is very inappropriate. Such as Beatles songs.

Tuning up after they've tuned up, & asking them to be quiet while I do it.
Experimenting with sounds after they've been experimenting with sounds. (amp twiddling)
Expressing an opinion about something other than drums.

The above are not real annoyances though, just a bit of muso tweaking.

Back