The latest whacky Bobdadruma kit creation

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I combined the 8x20 bass drum and the 5x13 snare from my Pearl Rhythm Traveler with some ddrum maple Blue to Black Fade toms 7x10, 7x12, and 12x14 floor to make this super cool Hybrid Fusion kit with Istanbul Agop cymbals.
I love this set up!
Notice, No floor mounted cymbal stands.

Attachments

• 0902002124a.jpg
    0902002124a.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 649
  • 0902002125.jpg
    0902002125.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 664
that's really cool man....

How do you like da aquarian heads? Are those TC response 2's?

I keep hearing about Istanbul pies....still haven't heard one but your setup
look da bomb!

Nice cymbal mounting config too...

HEY BOB, nice looking little kit...and creative as well for the cymbal stands! Love the cymbals as well.

Thanks guys,

The toms have the Studio-X coated heads on them with the sound dampening rings peeled off.
About a year ago I used the Studio-X coated heads for recording. When I was finished recording I peeled the rings off of the tom heads. I liked the sound. I now use these heads with the muffle rings removed all the time.

The pies are,
Istanbul Agop Sultan 14 inch hats
18 inch Istanbul traditional crash ride. (Made before the split)
11 inch Zild K Custom Hybrid splash
21 inch Agop Sultan Jazz ride.
I started playing Agop's about a year ago. I have never heard cymbals that sound so great!

The 8x20 Rhythm Traveler bass drum has this low volume boom sound that I just can't explain. I took the stock batter head and I moved it to the reso side of the drum. I painted it red with spray paint that bonds to plastic. I use an Aquarian SK I for a batter.
I love this drum!

I put a Remo POWERSTROKE 3 on the batter side of the light weight 5x13 RT snare. It has a trashy sound that I savor.
I also use my Mapex Black Panther 5.5x13 maple snare with this kit sometimes.

Bobdadruma - the only man who can get an entire drum kit into a 3' x 4' space! He's gonna get all those gigs where there's no room for drums! He is a niche market!

Bobdadruma - the only man who can get an entire drum kit into a 3' x 4' space! He's gonna get all those gigs where there's no room for drums! He is a niche market!
The actual footprint of the kit including throne placement is
5 feet across from edge of hat cymbal to edge of ride cymbal.
4.5 feet if measured from front of bass drum to backrest of the throne.
I require a 5 foot square total stage area.

The Agop cymbals have an incredible ability to be both used as crashes and rides.
The 11 inch K Cust Hybrid splash also has the ability to sound small and splashy, or large and crashy.
I selected all of these cymbals for their versatility.
They work with any music type that I play.

I can set up and break down long before a guitar player can!
7 mins total time.
I even transport the bass drum with the pedal folded and attached to the hoop.
I use a shock cord to hold the footboard upright when I transport the bass drum.
All stands and cymbal holders are transported in my gear bag fully set and adjusted with just the legs folded.

I bought the three maple ddrum toms brand new on eBay for under $300 with shipping!
They have cast hoops and they sound great! The shallow 7 inch rack toms are really cool sounding!
I had to drill them and install the Pearl mounting hardware. I like the Pearl style hardware.
I also had to buy the Pearl double tom stand.
I can set up as a 4 piece by sliding a Pearl single tom holder into the bass drum receiver and using either the 10 or 12 inch tom mounted on the bass drum.

Last edited:

The Agop cymbals have an incredible ability to be both used as crashes and rides.
The 11 inch K Cust Hybrid splash also has the ability to sound small and splashy, or large and crashy.
I selected all of these cymbals for their versatility.
They work with any music type that I play.

7 mins total time.
I use a shock cord to hold the footboard upright when I transport the bass drum.
All stands and cymbal holders are transported in my gear bag fully set and adjusted with just the legs folded.

I bought the three maple ddrum toms brand new on eBay for under $300 with shipping!
They have cast hoops and they sound great! The shallow 7 inch rack toms are really cool sounding!
I had to drill them and install the Pearl mounting hardware. I like the Pearl style hardware.
I also had to buy the Pearl double tom stand.
I can set up as a 4 piece by sliding a Pearl single tom holder into the bass drum receiver and using either the 10 or 12 inch tom mounted on the bass drum.

OK. 5 feet square then! You seen how much real estate other guys take up? It's shocking! Nice kit!

OK. 5 feet square then! You seen how much real estate other guys take up? It's shocking! Nice kit!
My standard size kit with 16x22 BD and 16x16 FT requires a 6.5 foot square of stage space.
That 1.5 foot less space on either side doesn't seem like much but it really means a lot on a small club stage or at a private house party gig.
I do a lot of these type of gigs.

I have a 5 foot square rug.
I set it down on stage during set up and I tell everyone that anything placed on my rug is out of bounds!

Last edited:

7 mins total time.

That's amazing! I am always the first one in and the last one out (just like the Marins) at our gigs. It used to take me an hour but now I have it down to 30 min. Please post some more and better pics, especially how you have your gear and pedal packed. Do you use hard or soft cases? I'd like to see what you are using. How many loads does it take to transport in and out? Sorry, I know that's a lot to ask but I am very interested in what you are doing.

With my entire kit set up... you could fit four of Bob's sets in there... *sigh*

Very very classy looking, and doubtless fun to play! Well done!

That's amazing! I am always the first one in and the last one out (just like the Marins) at our gigs. It used to take me an hour but now I have it down to 30 min. Please post some more and better pics, especially how you have your gear and pedal packed. Do you use hard or soft cases? I'd like to see what you are using. How many loads does it take to transport in and out? Sorry, I know that's a lot to ask but I am very interested in what you are doing.
I am using the stock Pearl Rhythm Traveler bass pedal. The footboard folds up on this pedal.
I hook the shock cord to a tension rod on the bass drum and I wrap it around the beater shaft and the footboard. I hook the other end of the shock cord to the opposing tension rod across the drum horizontally. The cord holds the beater and footboard lightly against the batter head.

I took a cymbal holder that fits into the Pearl 7/8 inch down tube receiver and I added a clamp cymbal holder to it as well as a clamp cowbell holder.
The booms on both cymbal holders are only 1 foot long. The ride/splash/cowbell holder plugs into the bass drum with a memory lock. I never have to adjust the holder.

I clamped a cymbal holder to the standard Pearl double tom-tom stand. The stand stays set and ready to slide the toms on and off with memory locks to ensure proper placement.
I never break down the stand.

I use the stock Pearl Rhythm Traveler lightweight snare and hi-hat stands.

I have a 3 foot Gator soft hardware bag. The rug folds flat and goes in first. The double tom-tom stand fits if I lower the cymbal holder straight down in the clamp. That is all that I have to do to fit the tom-tom stand in the bag. The cymbal holder is marked so that when I raise it up again it always goes in the same place.
The hi-hat stand fits by unscrewing the rod and lowering it into the stand tube. I never have to adjust the hi-hat stand height.
The ride/splash/cowbell stand fits in the bag by turning the cowbell 180 degrees toward the tube.
Three floor tom legs and I'm done.
The bag can be easily carried with one hand. 40LBS approx

I use loose fitting soft bags for the toms and snare that were designed for suspension mounts. I don't have suspension mounts so the toms fall into the bags. I don't use a bag for the bass drum.

Three trip carry in.
The 8 inch bass drum can be carried with one hand with the foot pedal tied up and attached,
Bass drum and hardware bag are the first trip.
Throne and cymbal bag are second trip.
Toms and snare stack and they are all carried on the last trip.
The rack toms are each only seven inches tall and the floor tom is only twelve inches tall. 5 1/2 inch snare.

Last edited:
Very nice, Bob. When I first saw the kit, I thought "Hey, that'd be a good gigging kit." The smaller Rhythm Traveler Bass drum would certainly make it easier to carry!

It's too bad you drilled into the toms though, Pearl makes stuff like the ISS and the Optimounts, and I'm fairly sure they would've worked.

Very nice, Bob. When I first saw the kit, I thought "Hey, that'd be a good gigging kit." The smaller Rhythm Traveler Bass drum would certainly make it easier to carry!

It's too bad you drilled into the toms though, Pearl makes stuff like the ISS and the Optimounts, and I'm fairly sure they would've worked.
I don't like suspension mounts. (Old School!)
I also use this kit with the Rhythm Traveler toms sometimes in place of the ddrum toms. The RT toms already have the Pearl mounts on them.

I played this kit yesterday in a show with two drummers on stage. My drums were just as loud as the other drummers standard size drums. My bass just isn't as deep sounding.
With mics and EQ-ing, Our bass drums were equal.

Thanks Grunt, This is the first time that I have not mounted my toms on top of the bass drum. I really like this set up. Moving the two toms more toward the middle of the bass drum really works well. I have been thinking about trying this for years. I wish that I had done this sooner!
It gives me all of the benefits of using a rack without the mass of the rack structure to move and set up.
I never really knew about this set up until a few years ago when I started visiting this site.
I guess that I have lead a somewhat sheltered drum configuration life! LOL

Thank you too Stan. You are the one that got me hooked on the Agop pies!

Coldhardsteel mentioned that it is too bad that I drilled my toms for the Pearl tube mounts.

Both of the ddrum toms came with rim mounts and clamps.
Before I drilled the toms, I clamped them to a stand with the rim mounts on and I tuned the toms. I played them for a long while. After a few hours of playing.
I decided that the rim mounts looked to bulky and I didn't like the loosely mounted toms.

I drilled the toms and I installed the Pearl tube mount hardware.
I installed the toms on the Pearl tube mount stand, I retuned, and I played them. It had only been about an hour since I played them with the rim mount system.
I could not detect any difference in the sound of the drums.

I'm sorry but I just don't get rim mounts. I tried to understand them but it made no difference to me. They just look bulky and messy to me.

I'm just old I guess!
Look at how clean and neat the tube mounts look as compared to rim or suspension mounts.
Below is a close up of the Ride/Splash/Cowbell holder. Zickosdrummer wanted to see that.

Attachments

• 0906001704.jpg
    0906001704.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 380
  • 0906001703a.jpg
    0906001703a.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Back