Tight screws for yamaha

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Hey, sorry for the 'help me' thread but I'm ordering tight screws for my yamaha stage custom and I'm not sure about the sizes. I'm replacing batter side tension rods on the toms and bass drum.

According to the FAQ I need to measure the tension rods under the head and order the closest size. The tight screws can't be shorter but they can be slightly longer. I'm not sure what exactly slightly means and how I can possibly know.

FYI subtracting the length of the head of each rod (1cm) - the lengths I need to work with are:
10"& 12" toms: 35mm
14" floor tom: 50mm
20" bass drum: 100mm

The closest size I can get for the rack toms on DFD are 42mm but I can order a 35mm from the tightscrew site if I need (would rather order them from DFD because I'm getting a bunch of heads) and both the DFD and the official tightscrew website only offer 110mm tight screws, there are no 100mm ones.

Is it okay that the tightscrews for the racktoms are 7mm too long? And is it okay that the tightscrews for the bass drum are 10mm too long?

I was going to order and take a shot but they're a bit expensive so I don't want to run the risk of hitting rock bottom. Is this thread making you horny?

I've emailed a rep but that could take a while. Also trying to look for those pearl spin tight tension rods but they don't seem to be anywhere other than the pearl catalogue. Also considered the tunerfish things but this kit is my live playing kit and I don't know if the fishies fall off easily.

Attachments

• stagecustom.JPG
    stagecustom.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 254
It takes a little digging, but if you know what you're looking for, you can find information here:

http://parts-search.yamaha.co.jp/html/WIND_ENGLISH/orders/group_e.php

Scroll down to drums/stage custom/ - then the type. For tension rods, they should all be close to the same between models.

EDIT: sorry - misunderstood. There should be plenty of extra room within the lug for a slightly longer tension rod.
The way to check is given below by scorch.

Last edited:
Is it okay that the tightscrews for the racktoms are 7mm too long? And is it okay that the tightscrews for the bass drum are 10mm too long?

As long as the SC lugs will permit / allow an additional 7mm of length inside the lug then I don't see that this would be a problem ....you could take one lug off, tighten the lug screw into where it would normally be for a tuned Tom and verify if space exists for an additional 7mm...

Thanks guys. I should have realized that. I'll take off the rim and see if the rods screws 7mm and 10mm further than they would with the rim on.

Back