The Slingerland video - FINALLY!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hey all,

Just got done doing a simple ad hoc video of me playing my just acquired Slingerlands in honor of mom and dad. It is located here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmmF0olqPyk&feature=youtu.be

I discovered that the toms had to have regular ol' ambassadors to get "that" sound I like, and I even opted for an old Pearl batter head on the bass drum which is like a bad copy of the remo powerstroke 3, but it being thinner, it sounds better on the drum. The front reso is a ported black dot head I put the Slingerland logo on for ID purposes (since there's no badges on the drums (sorry badge-expectant players ;). There is a small pillow in the bass drum that I cut open and removed about half of the stuffing.

But this video was just made with the Zoom Q3HD thrown up in a mic stand about three feet in front of the kit and to my left. I wanted to just capture what the drums sound like in my room without any processing. I think the audio came out rather well!

The thing with going back to playing the drums you had when you were twelve is making sure you don't sound like you're twelve today ;)

Let me know what you think. It's short!

An awesome tribute, and a great sounding kit, Bo!

Very nice Bo. You're playing that with some affection. I hope it brings you contentment & brings a smile every time you play it.

Thanks everybody. It does bring a smile. I guess the nice thing about being able to have THREE kits (the DrumCrafts will probably be picked up next week some time) is that I'm debating just keeping the Slingerland at home. But you know how I am about giving the drums their due and actually taking them out to play because that's where they belong. However, I'm unsure at this time, they do deserve to retire too ;)

You really captured the sound well! They sound great!
The snare sounds super too. It's what drums are supposed to sound like (to me anyway!).

Nice job!

Your drums always sound great. I might buy an old Slingerland off one of my friends. I have always liked them but never owned a full kit.

I vote Matts kits the best sounding on the forum....every one of them always sounds so killer

and I could listen to you smack tubs all day

I feel like I always say the same thing when you post a vid......but I mean it.....your flow is just so listenable

love the kit

Thanks for listening, and I appreciate the positive comments about my playing (it's always good for my ego ;)

Anyway, as an update, I am without the beloved Slingerlands for a few days as I've delivered them to Stan and Jerry at Pro Drum yesterday so they can install the badges that the seller included with the kit. In fact, I forgot that the seller included those, and he also gave me 13 extra tom lugs and the bass drum tom mount plate as well! I could so build another small tom for it if I wanted to.

When I found I had the badges, I had debated about adding them, then when I decided to do it just to complete the vibe, I debated about doing it myself. Then I figured I'd just screw up the job and decided to drop them at Pro Drum and have them do it. So maybe I'll have them back this coming Friday.

Funny thing about these vintage drums though, I know they're slightly out-of-round as the heads don't sit flat on them when I put them on, I have to kinda' futz with them - but this is what I remembered doing when I was a kid with my first Slingerlands 35 years ago. Definitely not modern by any means. If you guys think they sound good, then I must be doing something right! I think some of our younger players would freak since all new drums these days are practically perfect in every way ;)

When I get them back, I'm thinking of installing my black dots on the batters - and trying a clear PS3/black dot combo on the bass drum. Again, thanks all for giving it a listen. I'm having a great time with these tubs - I'll try to get my playing a bit better so Anthony has something else to like ;)

Last edited:
Drums sound great and the playing is very nice too. Nice tribute to your parents. And all this time I you were a cute female :) Nice job.

Love the kit, love the tuning (I always do), love the reason to get the kit and I love the playing...

Good idea to retro fit the original badges on the kit Mo, I think not only it will be like the genuine article once more, but it should increase its value too, people buying vintage drums are keen to have "complete" kits at hands and in its original from.

You're developing a love for the oldies Mo, first the Ludwig and now the slingerland, good for you :)

And all this time I {thought} you were a cute female :) Nice job.

Well, at least the cute female actually exists and can be accessed in my case ;)

Yeah Henri, I guess it's a reflection of my age. I'm not really collecting vintage drums, they're just drums that I had access to when I was a kid. Note that I'm not into anything earlier than 1966 (when I was born). I'd like a Rogers Big R kit from 1975 or so, that would be my next 'vintage' piece. But I've never been a big fan of Gretsch unless it's a big Tony Williams yellow monster.

But I think I have all the bases covered. I have two sorta vintage kits, and when the DrumCrafts arrive, I'll have my five-piece fusion set to play that college jazz nobody wants to hear ;)

Thanks for listening, and I appreciate the positive comments about my playing (it's always good for my ego ;)

Anyway, as an update, I am without the beloved Slingerlands for a few days as I've delivered them to Stan and Jerry at Pro Drum yesterday so they can install the badges that the seller included with the kit. In fact, I forgot that the seller included those, and he also gave me 13 extra tom lugs and the bass drum tom mount plate as well! I could so build another small tom for it if I wanted to.

When I found I had the badges, I had debated about adding them, then when I decided to do it just to complete the vibe, I debated about doing it myself. Then I figured I'd just screw up the job and decided to drop them at Pro Drum and have them do it. So maybe I'll have them back this coming Friday.

Funny thing about these vintage drums though, I know they're slightly out-of-round as the heads don't sit flat on them when I put them on, I have to kinda' futz with them - but this is what I remembered doing when I was a kid with my first Slingerlands 35 years ago. Definitely not modern by any means. If you guys think they sound good, then I must be doing something right! I think some of our younger players would freak since all new drums these days are practically perfect in every way ;)

When I get them back, I'm thinking of installing my black dots on the batters - and trying a clear PS3/black dot combo on the bass drum. Again, thanks all for giving it a listen. I'm having a great time with these tubs - I'll try to get my playing a bit better so Anthony has something else to like ;)

Stan and Jerry will do a bang up job.....you know that

as for the out of round drums.....for the first 5 years or so of my drumming journey I thought thats how drums were .
I would mess with that 1965 Slingerland endlessly ...... obsessively
I would spend hours and hours and days and days trying to get those things to sound the way I wanted.....and I would always succeed .
hours of tuning.....putting strips of towels under the heads.....pulling off the reso heads.....making tone control rings out of old heads that I cut with a razor (which I thought I invented by the way).....rolls of duct tape.....taping cymbal felts to the heads....cans of WD40 trying to get that old Speed King to stop squeaking .etc etc....

when I got my first new kit and put the heads on and the kit just tuned up I was almost disappointed because I enjoyed all the tinkering

those are the days that define us

I truly hope there are kids today who have to mess with dysfunctional drums incessantly the way we did to get them to sound the way they like .......it builds character that cannot be duplicated

Stan and Jerry will do a bang up job.....you know that

as for the out of round drums.....for the first 5 years or so of my drumming journey I thought thats how drums were .
I would mess with that 1965 Slingerland endlessly ...... obsessively
I would spend hours and hours and days and days trying to get those things to sound the way I wanted.....and I would always succeed .
hours of tuning.....putting strips of towels under the heads.....pulling off the reso heads.....making tone control rings out of old heads that I cut with a razor (which I thought I invented by the way).....rolls of duct tape.....taping cymbal felts to the heads....cans of WD40 trying to get that old Speed King to stop squeaking .etc etc....

when I got my first new kit and put the heads on and the kit just tuned up I was almost disappointed because I enjoyed all the tinkering

those are the days that define us

I truly hope there are kids today who have to mess with dysfunctional drums incessantly the way we did to get them to sound the way they like .......it builds character that cannot be duplicated

Imagine if we were dealing with calf heads too? Actually, we'd probably have an easier time installing heads since the calf would stretch to the drum! But then who'd want to deal with the weather changes?

I used to walk to school in the snow for two miles with NO shoes...... ;)

Very Cool Bo!
I have been following your project and it has been fun to watch a guy take a trip back in time. Now you can go to that special place any time you want!
Now maybe you can find the same bicycle that you used to ride when you were twelve years old. After you get tired of drumming you can hopp on your bike and go down to the ice cream shop for a treat. Way Cool! :)

Very Cool Bo!
I have been following your project and it has been fun to watch a guy take a trip back in time. Now you can go to that special place any time you want!
Now maybe you can find the same bicycle that you used to ride when you were twelve years old. After you get tired of drumming you can hopp on your bike and go down to the ice cream shop for a treat. Way Cool! :)

Have you seen some of the eBay prices for Schwinn Stongrays? Apparently that obsession is worse than drums!

Back