Set up Incorrectly?

timrs2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64sjwU8uqaU

Hello folks. I am father to an 11 year old drummer lad. I have posted a recent video link of him.
My question is if his kit is set up incorrectly? In one of his earlier videos someone commented that it is backwards or something.
I have no idea myself so I'm asking you who know these things.
If he is comfortable isn't that good enough?
Please comment here or on the video. I would like to sort this out.

Tim

Well, it doesn't matter what you post on youtube, someone always has to be a critic.

It's a bit unusual to have a large tom right above the hi-hat, but there is nothing WRONG with it.

As you said, as long as HE is comfortable, that is what matters.

In years past, it was traditional to have one's toms in an order of high to low, but that's really gone out the window in recent years.

Fusion legend Billy Cobham, Smashing Pumkins drummer Jimmy Chamberlin, world class studio drummer Kenny Arnoff, and many others set up their toms in non-traditional orders, and it is become more common in ads to see drum sets with unique or different lay outs.

So I wouldn't say it is incorrect, just different.

People on Youtube are less than intelligent. If that setup is comfortable and works for him, that's great. It's not how I would have my kit set up, but hey that's just me. You could always try moving stuff around to see if you find something that you like even better. I've certainly done that before. Otherwise, just keep on rockin'.

Jimmy Chamberlain favors a large tom above his hi-hat:

jimmy-chamberlin.jpg

Derek Roddy, who posts on this forum, also favors toms in a non-traditional order:
derekroddyjason978.jpg

Marco Minnemann is another well respected drummer who often uses unique set ups:
marcominnemann.jpg

Really, we could be here all day posting pictures of drummers with unique layouts.
So I'd say you have nothing to worry about as far as his layout is concerned.

If all drum kits were set up the same it would make us fall out of love with the instrument we play very quickly. Drum kits may look similar when stacked on a shop floor but its the player that turns it into THEIR instrument. As long as the Toms arent angled at a bazillion degrees then to be honest I don't really think there is a massively wrong way to set up a kit. Each to their own!

Cheers,

Ant

Re: Set up Incorrectly? - Thanks very much

Thanks for your input folks. That's pretty well what I figured but really wanted to hear it from people who know.
I'll just let him do what he's going to do. :)

\m/
Tim

I see nothing "wrong" with the setup other than the roto toms seem to be a little out of reach. I think the Sabian stickers on the toms are killing the sound. Maybe a little tuning tutorial from Bob Gatzen is in store. As long as he is having fun.

I bet most of the people with their sets set up "the right way" are not doing as well as he's doing with his setup the way it is! I liked what I saw... a lot of fun and excitement.

The best part about the drumset is that it can be put into nearly infinite setup variations to best capture the voice of the player - more so than any other instrument. So variety is to be embraced!

I see nothing "wrong" with the setup other than the roto toms seem to be a little out of reach. I think the Sabian stickers on the toms are killing the sound. Maybe a little tuning tutorial from Bob Gatzen is in store. As long as he is having fun.

You know? I have no ideo why he put those stickers there. :D
I shall look into the tuning. I've known that it's something we need to figure out that he doesn't get at lessons.
Thanks for the reply. :)

I bet most of the people with their sets set up "the right way" are not doing as well as he's doing with his setup the way it is! I liked what I saw... a lot of fun and excitement.

The best part about the drumset is that it can be put into nearly infinite setup variations to best capture the voice of the player - more so than any other instrument. So variety is to be embraced!
I like your outlook. Very positive and upbeat. I enjoy that about the people that I've seen here so far.
You are certainly correct though. It is fun and exciting. For all of us.
It's unbelievable how many people say things like "the sound must drive you nuts" or "I'll bet he's in the far corner of the basement".
The truth is he is in the basement but only due to the available space. I actually prefer to turn the TV down and listen to him, no matter what I'm watching.:)

Cheers,
Tim

Back