Buying First Drum Kit

Okashira

Hello everyone, I've recently joined these forums because I've taken up an interest in drumming and am looking for advice on purchasing my first drum kit.

I am a complete beginner at the moment but I hope to find a kit that will last me as I develop my skills and I would eventually be able to play metal with it.

My budget is around $1400 at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: As of now I am currently torn between the PDP Concept and Mapex Meridian (both maple). Any info to help me decide between them or a better alternative is appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi Okashira and welcome,
This is a question that is asked a lot (like, every other day). You will want to spend a good part of your budget on cymbals. One kit or the other in the same price range is not a difference of day vs night. If you page down in this section of the forum, you can find suggestions faster than we can repeat them here for you in reply. If you have further, more specific questions on beginner kits, don't hesitate to ask.

Used, used and used. Have you checked Craig's list or other places to buy used? For your price range, it is the best bet. For that budget, is that just the drums? What about cymbals and hardware (hi hat stand, bass drum pedal, throne, stands for drums/cymbals etc)?

and as is mentioned above this post, you'll want to NOT skimp on the cymbals. Cheap cymbals are a complete waist of money. You have to buy good cymbals either used or new. You can buy cheaper drums and put good drum heads on them to make them more than serviceable.

Good luck!

One possible setup to save for:
Yamaha stage custom
Zildjian k custom hybrid cymbal pack
Double kick pedal

You can get a used kit with everything on your budget but I like new stuff.

Yes I have been looking around cragslist and ebay for a bit, but I decided to get advice before I jump at anything.

How much would cymbals be on their own? I was hoping to cover the basic necessities for me to learn with the $900 and upgrade as I improve but if I need to hold off for better gear then I will.

About beginner kits, considering my little experience would a 6 or 7 piece kit be of any benefit to me over a 5 piece or is it irrelevant at this point? Also, is there a noticeable difference in the hardware in beginner kits that would persuade me to choose one brand over the other?

One possible setup to save for:
Yamaha stage custom
Zildjian k custom hybrid cymbal pack
Double kick pedal

You can get a used kit with everything on your budget but I like new stuff.

I tend to prefer new stuff as well, but if used gives me a bigger bang for my buck then I think I'd go for it haha

Would buying cymbals used be a good idea or should they always be new?

A good choice would be the PDP Centerstage kit. You can get it on guitarcenter.com for about $400 brand new. It comes with the drums, hardware, and cymbals. I would spend the rest of your budget on cymbals and new heads though. The cymbals that come with the kit are just cheap pieces of brass cut out in the shape of cymbals. You can find good deals on used drumsets also.

Cymbals:Zildjian ZHT 390 cymbal pack: Comes with 20" medium ride, 17" fast crash, 14" mastersound hi-hats, 16" china, and a free cymbal bag. They are very good cymbals for the money and they sound great. Brand new: $370

Before deciding on cymbal packs though, look at used cymbals like Zildjian A's and K's. There are some awesome deals on craigslist and ebay for used cymbals.

Heads: I would go for Remo Pinstripes or Evans G2 clear on the tom and snare. Remo Powerstroke 3 on the bass. The stock heads should sound ok, but I would replace them with these heads after a while. They would be good all- around heads.

Hardware: The hardware that comes with the kit should be good enough, but if you get a couple extra cymbals, PDP 800 stands should serve you well. They are sturdy enough and they are pretty cheap.

Hope this helps. :)

I tend to prefer new stuff as well, but if used gives me a bigger bang for my buck then I think I'd go for it haha

Used cymbals are fine as long as they don't have any cracks. You can usually find quality used cymbals used for half of what they would cost new. Check Craigslist and eBay. don't be in a real hurry and you will be able to find a good deal. I would plan on spending at least half your budget on cymbals.

A good choice would be the PDP Centerstage kit. You can get it on guitarcenter.com for about $400 brand new. It comes with the drums, hardware, and cymbals. I would spend the rest of your budget on cymbals and new heads though. The cymbals that come with the kit are just cheap pieces of brass cut out in the shape of cymbals. You can find good deals on used drumsets also.

Cymbals:Zildjian ZHT 390 cymbal pack: Comes with 20" medium ride, 17" fast crash, 14" mastersound hi-hats, 16" china, and a free cymbal bag. They are very good cymbals for the money and they sound great. Brand new: $370

Before deciding on cymbal packs though, look at used cymbals like Zildjian A's and K's. There are some awesome deals on craigslist and ebay for used cymbals.

Heads: I would go for Remo Pinstripes or Evans G2 clear on the tom and snare. Remo Powerstroke 3 on the bass. The stock heads should sound ok, but I would replace them with these heads after a while. They would be good all- around heads.

Hardware: The hardware that comes with the kit should be good enough, but if you get a couple extra cymbals, PDP 800 stands should serve you well. They are sturdy enough and they are pretty cheap.

Hope this helps. :)

I really appreciate the advice! I'll look into everything you listed. Thanks again!

Hello everyone again!

I have a quick question: If I could increase my budget to ~1500, how much of a difference would that make?

There are lots of drums out there for $400-$800 that sound and look amazing - like these for instance:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gretsch-Cat...Turquoise-Sparkle-/301115997464#ht_1750wt_946

You should be able to find a sale somewhere and get a nice shellpack for around $500. That would leave some left over for hardware and cymbals....this might take you over-budget a bit however.

But, as mentioned above, there are tons of second-hand kits out there that may even include some nice cymbals and hardware for your budget of $800. There are clearance sales at GuitarCenter and MusiciansFriend etc. that sell complete kits for under $800. No usually in Canada where I live, but in the good ole USA there are some pretty specatcular deals.

Gary

Hello everyone again!

I have a quick question: If I could increase my budget to ~1500, how much of a difference would that make?

Well, that would be all the more money to buy good cymbals. Suggestions: Zildjian A 390 or 391 Box Set. Sabian XS20 Promo cymbal pack.

Oh, and with the higher budget, I would suggest the Pearl Vision VX or Pearl Export drum set (I would choose the Pearl Export). In your case if you want to play metal, I would make sure the rack toms are 12" and 13" and the floor tom 16".

Last edited:
Well, that would be all the more money to buy good cymbals. Suggestions: Zildjian A 390 or 391 Box Set. Sabian XS20 Promo cymbal pack.

Oh, and with the higher budget, I would suggest the Pearl Vision VX or Pearl Export drum set (I would choose the Pearl Export). In your case if you want to play metal, I would make sure the rack toms are 12" and 13" and the floor tom 16".

If I wanted to get toms of those size would they have to be bought/ordered seperately? Most kits I look at similar to (and including) the Export seem to all have 10". 12", and 16" respectively (unless im reading it wrong haha)

I would avoid 2nd hand cymbals when it comes to cymbals that are hit - crashes, splashes and chinas. Used rides and hats I'm okay with.

1500 for a used kit now.. You could get a set of saturns like my kit and plenty of others complete with everything.

Some of my best crash and splash cymbals, and for sure my 50's K ride, are among my very best cymbals. I have to say I'm not in a band right now and I'm not recording on them. This is just my opinion on what I hear and have right now.

There are some very nice 'vintage' cymbals out there at really good prices these days.

You can buy a Sonor Safari four piece drum kit (it takes up little space and sounds remarkably good) for $380-400 then take the other half of your 800 and buy some good hi-hats and a nice ride. Maybe a "metronome" is a thought that comes to mind. Look at Matt Halpern if you are worried that you won't be able to play metal on a small kit. I defer to others opinions whether you should start with a single pedal or go ahead with a double???? My thoughts would be a single first.

You can buy a Sonor Safari four piece drum kit (it takes up little space and sounds remarkably good) for $380-400 then take the other half of your 800 and buy some good hi-hats and a nice ride. Maybe a "metronome" is a thought that comes to mind. Look at Matt Halpern if you are worried that you won't be able to play metal on a small kit. I defer to others opinions whether you should start with a single pedal or go ahead with a double???? My thoughts would be a single first.

Wow he does play a small kit. I already have a metronome so theres no worries on that part.

I'm more concerned about the cymbals. Considering I'm a beginner would it be wise to shoot straight for a good quality set of cymbals? I've heard mentions of beginners not knowing how to properly "hit" a cymbal. I don't know how true this is, but I'm wondering if I may end up damaging them prematurely due to my lack of experience at some point?

Also when it comes to the single vs. double pedal. Would I be able to buy a double and use it as a single, ignoring the other foot or would it be a different feeling?

Pearl Export was voted drum set of the year for 2014 in Drum Magazine. It's very affordable.

As far as cymbals go. I would get the 14" Sabian XS-20 X-cellerator hi-hats and a XS-20 20" ride. I think they would be perfect for metal music.

As far as crashes, you got plenty of good advice already.

Think of "hitting' the cymbals as a layman's term. Most the time we merely glance across it where it's not exactly a head on collision with the side of a stick. Try glancing across the middle of the cymbal near the edge, but not exactly on the edge all the time. There are a few ways to hit a cymbal, and setting them up with proper angles and heights that match your playing style and posture will keep you more balanced and prevent loss of control in your movements.

The pedals work independently of each other. I don't think it's a problem playing single or double style.

Last edited:
Wow he does play a small kit. I already have a metronome so theres no worries on that part.

I'm more concerned about the cymbals. Considering I'm a beginner would it be wise to shoot straight for a good quality set of cymbals? I've heard mentions of beginners not knowing how to properly "hit" a cymbal. I don't know how true this is, but I'm wondering if I may end up damaging them prematurely due to my lack of experience at some point?

Also when it comes to the single vs. double pedal. Would I be able to buy a double and use it as a single, ignoring the other foot or would it be a different feeling?

For the double bass: the answer is yes, you can use on foot. I use Iron Cobra Jr. doubles, and they're not too expensive, but built solid with a heavy feel. Def. recommended. At first, though, you'll probably end up spending a lot of time just learning how to control your right foot (unless your left handed) but if you plan on playing double bass the investment is worth it.

On cymbals : I can't speak for everyone, but I totally broke a few cymbals for improper technique. It gets better over time with conscious practice and knowledge on how to properly hit a cymbal (glancing blow). The best way I've heard it put was to try and "pull the sound out of the cymbal" instead of "bash it into the cymbal." Buying used will double your buying power, and buying higher quality cymbals will be more fun because they sound much better. If you buy new, get the warranty! It might seem expensive, but you'll save tons if something breaks. I really don't recommend lower tier cymbals, because you will want to replace them eventually, so you end up saving money in the long run.

Also, are you planning on working with a teacher? Figuring out how to play by yourself might seem more fun at first, but don't underestimate the importance of learning proper technique. My teacher was extremely helpful and pushed me to improve my skills, and I'd recommend one to everyone.

If I wanted to get toms of those size would they have to be bought/ordered seperately? Most kits I look at similar to (and including) the Export seem to all have 10". 12", and 16" respectively (unless im reading it wrong haha)

If you see those sizes, you're looking at the Pearl Export Fusion drum set. Search for Pearl Export standard drum set. Type in Pearl Export on guitarcenter.com and you'll be able to see the two different models.

:)

Back