What brand of kit do you play?

Ludwig,super classic,3 ply mid 60's orphans,13/16/22/14

Slingerland 3 plys late 60's orphans.13/16/22/14

Tama vintage Superstars, all birch 9600 series,6 ply with re rings 13/14/16/22/14,in natural wallnut satin finish.Standard sizes.There are not a lot of these out there.

Pearl DLX,7 ply,mid 80's,10/12/13/16/22(giging kit in various configurations)

I also have a variety of vintage wood and metal snares,Ludwig,Tama,and Slingerland

Steve B

Rogers 5 piece for my main kit because to me, nothing sounds and looks better. My practice and small-gig kit is a Sonor Force 3000 birch kit because I found them secondhand for a decent price and the sizes are different then my Rogers.

Current Kits are....

Risen - Custom 4 Piece with Ludwig Black Magic Snare....has Champagne Sparkle finish with white hardware

Sonor - Force 2005 Birch in Blue fade with acrolite

and last, but not least, DW Collectors in white.

Attachments

• DSC03082.jpg
    DSC03082.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,324
  • DSC02866.jpg
    DSC02866.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 1,394
  • DSC02892.jpg
    DSC02892.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,145
I just "retired" the old standard 1966 Ludwigs....13,16,22 and 14 (added a 12 around 1980 or so and used an 18" floor tom from another kit). I played them for sentimental reasons (my dad bought them new) and because they were "comfortable" and sounded great! The others are a mid '70's Ludwig I bought 8-10 years ago because I wanted more drums, so they are a 7 piece.....13,14,15,16,18 and 24 with 14" snare. They are big, deep drums that sound great. Retricted, older hardware and older back was the determining factor in only using those at home for a practice set! I now gig with a 2011- 6 piece Mapex maple kit I bought about two months ago. 10,12,14,16,22 and 14 snare. So far I really like the sound and newer hardware; much easier to move around and set up!

I've had 4 kits over the last 40 years - 2 Rogers and 2 Ludwigs. I currently play a 1990 4-ply Ludwig Super Classic that I bought new in 1991.

I loved the sound of all the kits I've had. The current Ludwig kit (12", 13", 16", 22", 14x6.5 Supra - Power sizes) has a beautiful classic rock sound regardless of the heads or tuning. Both the drums and the hardware have held up well through over 20 years of Garage/Bar Rock band torture! I consider them to be an EXCELLENT value!

I own and play a Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz kit. I bought it because the 18" bass drum is easier to transport. I like how the bass drum and toms sound. I usually use a Mapex Saturn snare with them. Lately I have really been loving this set. I also have a Pacific SX snare and a Pearl Export snare. Peace and goodwill.

Last edited:
I own a Mapex Saturn. Why? I'd always had birch kits and wanted something different. Great finishes and good hardware too. Love the way they sound and at the price point, I don't think there's anything to touch them IMHO. I have a variety of snares, the matching saturn, a steel BP, a 61/2 pearl brass snare and a mapex 13x5.5 steel. All my cymbals are Zildjian- my first pro cymbal was a Zildjian and I've never had a reason to change.

Previous kits, last to first:

Tama Rockstar Custom in natural blonde ( 22,8,10,12,14)

1987 Premier Projector in hot red wrap (20, 12, 13, 14, 16)

UP Percussion electronic kit (great pads, dire sounds- analogue)

1970's Premier Elite in metalic yellowy gold (22, 13, 14, 16 with 6 & 8 drum bongoes!)

Last edited:
My first kit was a Pearl World Series. Got it because I loved the red finish but I had no idea what I was buying at the time. I was 16.

Second kit was an all birch Tama Starclassic Performer in satin white. Fist time I got a kit that I put some thought into it. Sounded great and loved the hardware.

My third and current kit is a 6pc Mapex Meridian Maple in Cobalt Burst. I did the most research in getting this kit than any other. LOVE the finish and they sound amazing. I prefer them to my Starclassics and had better craftsmanship as well, IMO.

I have 3 and am refinishing number 4.

Kit 1: Gretsch cat maples. 22X18 bass drums X-2 10, 12, 14 and 16" toms.

Kit 2. 1930s Leedy and luds refinished in blue sparkle. 28X14 bass, 13" 14" and 16" toms

kit 3. Yamaha electronic

Kit 4. 1930's leedy and slings refinished in green sparkle 26X14 bass, 13" and 16" toms

snares: 6.5X14 Brady jarrah, 4.5X14 Brady marri, 6.5X14 Ludwig 402, 5X14 ludwig acrolite, 6X13 Noble and cooly maple, 5X10 noble and cooley maple, 4X14 pearl copper, 4X10 pearl firecracker snare.

I find the older kits sound great when tuned right with the right heads and you can pick up drums for peanuts at garage sales I found 3 of my vintage toms in peoples trash. the 2 leedy bass drums were the only thing I paid more the $20 for.

Current Kits are....

Risen - Custom 4 Piece with Ludwig Black Magic Snare....has Champagne Sparkle finish with white hardware

Sonor - Force 2005 Birch in Blue fade with acrolite

and last, but not least, DW Collectors in white.

I'm looking for a cymbal tree to store mine as well, where did you get yours?

1 chancellor
i know its not a great kit
please guys dont make fun of it

and no offense to anyone
but why people buy so many kits
instead of buying one kit and upgrading it with alot of cymbals,tom toms and all?

Nice to see all the replies.

My current kit is a Ludwig Centennial. Why? My first kit was a Ludwig kit, so Ludwig is home base for me.

I am fascinated by Trick kits though (even though I've never heard one in person). There's just something about a kit that's impervious to weather. If the Tricks sound amazing I'm sure this will be my next kit. Now I just have to hear one in the flesh to see if I like it. If I don't like it I plan to stay with Ludwig.

Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage cause I like them and they didn't cost 4 grand.

A Tama Artstar II, with maple shells in piano black laquer finish, bought it in 89, still going strong, I love it. :)

why people buy so many kits
instead of buying one kit and upgrading it with alot of cymbals,tom toms and all?

because everybody is different....whatever floats your boat

because everybody is different....whatever floats your boat

+1!! Then you have some folks who have multiple kits, multiple cymbal setups, and even (dare I say) multiple snare drums!

There's not enough time to post all the kits that I play, the kits that I own are:

Tama Starclassic Bubinga (Japan Manufactured), scorched copper burst

Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, black sparkle sunburst

DW Classic Series, blue glass

Gretsch Renown, cherry burst

Ludwig Classic Maple, white marine pearl

1965 vintage Pearl, red sparkle finish

Dennis

When you have a gig, what criteria do you apply in choosing whick kit to use?

Back