Sold all my drums..now what?

I don't understand the desire for a wrap either....I mean, I don't have to understand it either, that's your call...but why?? I can see it for a vintage vibe or to recreate the vibe of someone from Liverpool that had an oyster thing happening on his kit....but aside from that, why?

Usually a wrap screams lower level of the drum line....and it also adds a resonance defeating layer of adhesive and material onto the wood.....

Can you rethink the wrap thing? ;-)

Usually a wrap screams lower level of the drum line....and it also adds a resonance defeating layer of adhesive and material onto the wood.....

Actually, it doesn't really. If you've seen what manufacturers do to get some of those pretty glossy stain finishes, sometimes you might just be better off going with a wrap. I had some DW FinishPly drums, and for high-end drums, the wrap is actually that final layer to the finish. If the wrap is done correctly, meaning the entire things is glued down, then it becomes part of the shell and doesn't necessarily affect the resonance. If you were talking a cheaper Pearl Export or something where they apply the wrap, and tack it down over the seam, using the hardware to hold down the wrap, then that's bad. I've seen those wraps warp when left in the sun. But a properly glued down wrapped drum functions fine.

Actually, it doesn't really. If you've seen what manufacturers do to get some of those pretty glossy stain finishes, sometimes you might just be better off going with a wrap. I had some DW FinishPly drums, and for high-end drums, the wrap is actually that final layer to the finish. If the wrap is done correctly, meaning the entire things is glued down, then it becomes part of the shell and doesn't necessarily affect the resonance. If you were talking a cheaper Pearl Export or something where they apply the wrap, and tack it down over the seam, using the hardware to hold down the wrap, then that's bad. I've seen those wraps warp when left in the sun. But a properly glued down wrapped drum functions fine.

Fair enough....I was too strict in my definition of a wrap. Sounds like I need to understand the dw finish ply a little better cause it sounds interesting.

wrap, finish ply, etc...just gluing on the outer finish layer. Im wide open fellas, whatever looks cool to me. I like the Saturn IV MH and the MH custom finishes very much. Just trying to get as much info as I can here from you guys before I go banging away at the drum shop !

Fair enough....I was too strict in my definition of a wrap. Sounds like I need to understand the dw finish ply a little better cause it sounds interesting.

Cool. When you see a pro-level glue job for a finish, as done by the big companies like Ludwig, they apply glue to the entire shell and the wrap gets roller on. Once dried it literally becomes part of the shell and resonates right along with it. DW calls it FinishPly, but it's basically the same thing. I think DW means to make their wrap that final ply, where sometimes other manufacturers 6-ply shells with a wrap makes the shell a little bigger.

I agree that a wrap is way more "gig friendly". Tougher , harder and by design , one can't see the blemishes/scratches as well. I would with any kit that you love the sound from and then get it wrapped the color you want . Used would be better (even beat up/dented as you are going to cover it up anyway ) Sound and function :)

You should check out these two kits

Ludwig Legacy: Super vintage vibe (and expensive)
Ludwig Classic Maple: Combination of vintage/modern. Awesome drums (I think this could be your ticket)

I usually find modern drums to lack warmth and character. Of course there are exceptions, but nothing gets me going like playing my vintage ludwigs. On the other hand, I've never felt inspired on my Tama Starclassic Maple kit, ever. Maybe if I was a metal guy I'd like it more..but my style calls for something else.

Yamaha could be cool too.. they seem to always sound right to me. I particularly like the oak customs and maple customs.

Anyway, good luck

It's pretty obvious to me that you want a mapex saturn kit. So get it. But on the other hand you want a kit that will create some less violent booty shaking (but booty shaking none the less) I'm not sure if the Saturns are what you are looking for. I here when you play Saturns the booty shaking gets real violent. So if Violent booty shaking is not your think you may want to look around a little longer.

Yes - Gretsch Renown are killer drums - the Purewood Series are pro grade. I have the Purewood African 6pc as you know Harry. They compare easily to my Custom USA Gretsch. I highly recommend them. The only downside I can see, and it probably is a big downside regarding this thread....is the DB is 18x22 = large and heavy to pack around to gigs. That being said........there is always a small Gretsch Catalina kit.....under $1000...they sound incredible for the money. Just a thought.

Might wanna look at the Gretsch Renown. Heck of a good kit, for the money.​

Yes - Gretsch Renown are killer drums - the Purewood Series are pro grade. I have the Purewood African 6pc as you know Harry. They compare easily to my Custom USA Gretsch. I highly recommend them. The only downside I can see, and it probably is a big downside regarding this thread....is the DB is 18x22 = large and heavy to pack around to gigs. That being said........there is always a small Gretsch Catalina kit.....under $1000...they sound incredible for the money. Just a thought.

I own a Renown kit and have a used (like new) Brooklyn kit coming on Thursday. I got an amazing deal through a guy on eBay...hundreds cheaper than new, similar-sized Renowns. I consider them both "pro grade"...the sound and build quality is outstanding on both.

It really is a buyer's market, so if you've got that much to work with, you might check online for some seriously high-end *used* shells. You'll get much more for your buck than you would brand new.

LOL! Just think that at this point the Saturns are a good match.

It's pretty obvious to me that you want a mapex saturn kit. So get it. But on the other hand you want a kit that will create some less violent booty shaking (but booty shaking none the less) I'm not sure if the Saturns are what you are looking for. I here when you play Saturns the booty shaking gets real violent. So if Violent booty shaking is not your think you may want to look around a little longer.

What do you actually play?

The saturns are very bright and lively.. The toms sound really round and there is a bit of a bend to the notes they play. It's not for everyone. You can tap on the heads but they need some moderate effort to open up. Or you can warm them up a bit with coated heads, coated ambassadors sound excellent. A downside is that they're heavy to carry. That's my fair opinion after maybe a year of ownership.

A straight maple kit has a more even temperament and is probably a bit more subtle in the mix. Another kit that I really liked - a maple custom absolute would be better if I was playing quiet venues or if I wanted my toms to blend in a bit more. I imagine them speaking a bit more at softer volumes but I haven't actually played both kits next to each other.

The price of the saturns is a good incentive. Hopefully this helps.

The saturns are very bright and lively.. The toms sound really round and there is a bit of a bend to the notes they play. It's not for everyone. You can tap on the heads but they need some moderate effort to open up. Or you can warm them up a bit with coated heads, coated ambassadors sound excellent. A downside is that they're heavy to carry. That's my fair opinion after maybe a year of ownership.

A straight maple kit has a more even temperament and is probably a bit more subtle in the mix. Another kit that I really liked - a maple custom absolute would be better if I was playing quiet venues or if I wanted my toms to blend in a bit more. I imagine them speaking a bit more at softer volumes but I haven't actually played both kits next to each other.

+1 on what Dre says I am not a Saturn owner but have played them a quite a few times. I like many other people here would recommend the Renowns. They have a nice warm tone and even though they are a bit too big for me I have played the rock set up a few times which I believe is 24,13,16 (it might be a 12" rack tom) it that is one of the most rockin sets I have played. So much warmth and roundness. If I was playing more straight ahead rock I would definitely buy one.

This set would be used for a top 40, dance, classic rock, modern rock cover band (not really sure what half of that means these days!). The Genista set I sold was pretty easy to transport; the Pearl set I also had was considerably heavier than the Genistas. The kick alone was much heavier. I am also looking at a Pearl Masters MCX set.

I would own the pearl too, they're really nice, more of a standard sound. They fly under the radar a bit more.

Pearl lugs, rims and badges looks a bit classier than Saturn IV

but

Saturn IV finishes are much nicer

Prices look similar on ebay.

Back