1996 Custom DW Kit - Value?

Danny6060

Hello Drummer World! First post...

I've had my custom built DW drum kit for about 4 years now but I've recently been accepted for endorsement from SJC Drums, so I am going to be selling the kit. I bought the kit from a former DW endorser (currently plays with GUN) at a discounted price however I'm lead to believe that a kit like this is worth a lot due to the way the shells were constructed back then (1996 it was built) and it's shells are also 3mm thicker than standard. I've contacted DW about the kit and all they could say was "You have a late 90’s DW kit that is sought out by a lot of DW drummers, the shells that were made in the late 90’s are different than they are now because we use the SSC config for a lot of sets when customers order them. Hope this helps!"

I've uploaded some photos of the kit to this album - http://photobucket.com/danny6060dwdrumkit . In short, I'm asking for a value on the kit so I can move it on. It's been gigged so has a few dings and bumps. Any information would be great!

Thanks,
Danny Kelly

Hi there. Welcome. I have no idea actually, but it wouldn't hurt taking a few photos and posting it on your local Craigslist and seeing if you get any action or offers.

If you are talking about just the four piece, I would guess somewhere between $1000-$1500.

It's really hard to say wothout seeing it though. What kinds or scratches, dents and dings are on the kit? Does all the hardware work and are the tuning rods/lugs smooth?

I've seen some nice kits w/out snare from that era go in the $1200 range. A mint kit might get $1500. If it is beat up, you're probably looking at 1K or less.

I've heard some people prefer the DW kits (like yours) with the Keller shells, but they aren't collector's items like true vintage drumsets. The main difference between that "era" of DW kits versus most recent ones is that for the last 14-15 years, DW has been making their own shells. Prior to that, they used Keller shells.

Back