New Drums

NYjazzman

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about getting a new set of drums and I really could use some help deciding. I like the DW kits. I am thinking about getting the DW Performance Series but I also like the PDP Maple Concept Series for the money. You can't beat that price 7 piece maple kit for like $900 vs a 5 pc kit for $2500. What do you guys think?

Hit as many music stores as you can and play as many kits as they'll let you. Anything else is just second hand. Try different sticks, tunings, heads, etc.. Most people don't buy cars off of the web and drums are the same. Are you playing professionally?

So I just got a 6 piece DW performance series kit in a limited run black oyster glass used for $1750. It sounds amazing and I love it. I highly recommend the DW performance series kits.

Hit as many music stores as you can and play as many kits as they'll let you. Anything else is just second hand. Try different sticks, tunings, heads, etc.. Most people don't buy cars off of the web and drums are the same. Are you playing professionally?

I have played a few. No but you never know when a professional gig could come up.

So I just got a 6 piece DW performance series kit in a limited run black oyster glass used for $1750. It sounds amazing and I love it. I highly recommend the DW performance series kits.
That sounds like a good deal. Good luck with it.

But if I go with the DW it will probably be the last set I will ever half to buy. I could always ad on to it.

hit up my buddy ED he runs drum flip on facebook. Without a doubt he has the best deals around and get you into to decent gear for the best prices around.

But if I go with the DW it will probably be the last set I will ever half to buy. I could always ad on to it.

I think it's possible that the PDP could be the last kit you'd ever have to buy.

But it might not be the last kit you'd want to buy.

You'd probably have that DW kit sitting in the back of your thinking until it gets to you.
Might as well just get the DW now if you can.
If you can't, get the PDP and enjoy it.

Please go play a Design kit before you shell out for a performance.. a buddy of mine has 2 peroformance (one wood, one plastic) and we both prefer my designs... PLUS.. MF sells them for $1250... that leaves more for cymbals:)

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about getting a new set of drums and I really could use some help deciding.

The question your post asks is the age old dilemma of:

"Do I buy a real USA made instrument, or an APAC made instrument of lesser quality for half the price?"

People usually mull it over and see through the false dichotomy of it all. It isn't a simple matter of one or the other, and there are numerous other options. You'll probably end up with a used high-quality instrument for ~$1000 that is superior to the first two kits you were looking at.

I think it's possible that the PDP could be the last kit you'd ever have to buy.

But it might not be the last kit you'd want to buy.

You'd probably have that DW kit sitting in the back of your thinking until it gets to you.
Might as well just get the DW now if you can.
If you can't, get the PDP and enjoy it.

This! Soundwise, the PDP Concept Maple kits are capable of delivering 100% of the sound quality you will get from the DW kit. The sound quality of the DW/PDP equation is really a minimal concern. (Yes, there is a difference in the sound characteristics between the two, but not sound quality. With modern drums the issue of better/worse sound has become a non issue.) Unfortunately, none of those facts can possibly outweigh the element of emotionalism. As musicians, we all have an overwhelming sense of emotional investment in our instruments. To us, all that steel and wood and plastic represent much more than simply a tool. I suppose that the best description of our devotion to our instruments is more like that of close personal friends. And that's why, based purely on the words you used to describe your upcoming choice, you will not be happy with any other than the DW kit. You see it as "better," and nothing is going to change that perception. Buy the DW kit, be happy, then you can get on with the really important choices facing you - the selection of cymbals and hardware. Good luck. Don't neglect posting pics, too.

GeeDeeEmm

Damn, GDM. That right there is some potent philosophy. We've all heard the "above a certain price point, there's not a lot of difference in sound" rationale, but you put into words that intangible - about loving the kit - which I've been trying to elucidate for months.

Thank you!

I don't know why you would assume that something not made in the USA would be of any lesser quality.. plenty of junk made here also...

The question your post asks is the age old dilemma of:

"Do I buy a real USA made instrument, or an APAC made instrument of lesser quality for half the price?"

People usually mull it over and see through the false dichotomy of it all. It isn't a simple matter of one or the other, and there are numerous other options. You'll probably end up with a used high-quality instrument for ~$1000 that is superior to the first two kits you were looking at.

There's a phenomenon I've noticed in myself...

The less money I spend on drums the more satisfaction I get from them.

Like I have a 10 grand set of Gurus that I will be chopped up and buried with.

Yet I get about 92.57% of that satisfaction playing my sub 500 dollar set of used PDPs. So the satisfaction per dollar is sky high on my PDP kit. It's very compelling to go inexpensive these days, because the quality is at an all time high and prices are quite affordable.

The only thing that the PDP's don't have compared to the DW designs is the badge that says DW design. You have the 32 TPI rods and the good ISO mounts with a really nice sounding well built maple shell. What a great bargain. All the mid range kits are a great bargain, not just PDP. The 32 TPI rods tip the scales for me, not to mention the shells themselves. No other major offers fine threaded rods, and I don't know why. I like the oval PDP lugs better than the round turret design, no matter what size. Not a big fan of the lugs on the concept maples, but it's the same hole pattern as the oval lugs they used prior.

I don't know why you would assume that something not made in the USA would be of any lesser quality..

I'm not sure how anyone could come to the conclusion that this is what I was saying. Sonor and Yamaha both produce fine instruments overseas, but the import duties make them less worthwhile than a locally sourced fine instrument.

The choice faced by the OP is between a USA fine instrument and a lower quality APAC licensed imitation of a fine instrument. I had the same dilemma just a few months ago, though the 'real' Gretsch Broadkaster bass was made at Fender's Japanese facility. I ultimately ended up with a USA bass for less than the cost of the import.

I imagine that the OP will likely end up doing the same.

Sorry Kamak, wasnt' really directed at you.. just lately i have been seeing so much hate against stuff made in other places when i rarely see a quality difference...

I'm not sure how anyone could come to the conclusion that this is what I was saying. Sonor and Yamaha both produce fine instruments overseas, but the import duties make them less worthwhile than a locally sourced fine instrument.

The choice faced by the OP is between a USA fine instrument and a lower quality APAC licensed imitation of a fine instrument. I had the same dilemma just a few months ago, though the 'real' Gretsch Broadkaster bass was made at Fender's Japanese facility. I ultimately ended up with a USA bass for less than the cost of the import.

I imagine that the OP will likely end up doing the same.

I'm not sure how anyone could come to the conclusion that this is what I was saying.

Really? How about because of statements like this:

The choice faced by the OP is between a USA fine instrument and a lower quality APAC licensed imitation of a fine instrument.

It's widely known that there's little sonic difference between Concept Maple and the lower-tier DW offerings. It's widely known that PDP Concept drums are by no means "lower quality" compared to DW-name lines.

Where a thing is made has nothing to do with its quality. How it's made is what's important. APAC-sourced instruments can be world-class instruments too.

What you're saying and the way you're saying it reveals that your assumption is that APAC- sourced instruments are "lesser," "lower," etc. What I'm saying that definitely ain't so, and I'd take it as a kindness if you'd adjust your thinking on that. ;-)

Back