INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

Hey all, have read the forum for ages, now finally joining:

Age: old enough to remember the '80's before it was retro
How long playing?: Since I was 9
Top 5 drummers: Max Roach, Philly Joe Jones, Steve White, DJ Bonebrake, Topper Headon
Make of Kit: '67 Rogers Holiday Starlighter in champagne sparkle w/Powertone snare
Make of cymbals: Bosphorus Hammer and Traditional series; Paiste Formula 602
Where do you practice: my apartment/band practice space
In a band? Two bands actually - 1) a post-punk trio, Replacements, Husker Du type stuff and 2) Indie-folk band, scaled down kit, mostly brushes
Covers or originals? Originals
What style of music? punk/indie for the band, jazz drumming when at home playing
Favourite take out food: Mexican food or ramen
Country you live in? live in the States, but not from here
How did you start drumming? Started playing in school - family liked the fact that the school supplied the drums. They eventually caved and got me a drum kit of me own for my 11th birthday (old Ludwig Club Date from the pawnshop).

Last edited:
Greetings All,

My name is Mike. I have enjoyed following this forum for many years and now I have decided to join the Drummerworld community.

I have been playing drums for about 40 years, 35 of them exclusively on Ludwig drums. My current kit is a 2004 Classic Maple kit and my go to snare drums are a 5 x 14 Black Beauty and a 5 x 14 Classic Maple depending upon what sound I need. My cymbals are usually a mixture of Zildjian and Sabian and have been since the 80's.

I have played many styles of music over the years and I currently play blues, top 40 variety, classic rock, and also a little country when I get the chance.

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm Otto.

Been reading this forum for at least 8 years (probably longer, but I don't know).

Decided to join today. I live in New Orleans. I've been drumming for about 16 years.

I play a Ludwig Club Date SE -- downbeat configuration. I also play a Pork Pie little squealer with two floor toms and a 7x13 rosewood/zebrawood maple snare.

My cymbals are very simple, but very nice: 14" K Hi Hats, 20" HHX Legacy Ride, 21" HHX Groove Ride, 18" A Thin Crash (New A), and 18" Armand Medium Thin Crash. I often use the 18" cymbals as Hi Hats. They sound absolutely fantastic and I get excited just thinking about it.

I play in a little outfit with my wife, who is classically trained in violin -- but she is rebellious and so we play acoustic rock.

I enjoy hearing all drummers as they all have something to teach us -- whether as a warning or as an example. However, I am often disproportionately inspired by Steve Jordan, Jason McGerr, Lars Ulrich (His timing is very unique and the simplicity of his playing is compelling), Eric Slick,, ?uestlove, and Bonham. Although these are listed in no particular order, Steve Jordan and Jason McGerr are at the top of the list.

Happy To Be Here,

Otto

Hi I'm Mike from Seattle. I 've been a reader here for quite some time and decided to join. I play in a band called The Demolition Kings and in my spare time enjoy rehabing old drum kits Trixon and Premier are my favorites.

For gigs I use either my Ludwig or Tama kit depending on the size of the club. 26" kick drum take up a lot of real estate. ;)

Hey everybody, i'm Alen !

I'm from Croatia (small country in Europe), i have been playing since i was 16years old. I finished primary musical school but for piano :) , started playing drums by my own . I've recorded few metal albums in my country with few bands , for example :
Cydocore - Envenom /2007.
Moltencore - Pro Et Contra /2011
Gregzeye (my current band for last 6years) - The End Days /2013

i'm new to the whole forum format but figured i'd give it a try. thanks.

Age? 24

How long have you been playing? since i was 16

Origin of user name? Amon Amarth

Your top 5 drummers? Vinnie Paul , John Otto , Chris Adler , Mike Portnoy , Thomas Lang

Make of drumkit? Mapex Orion

Make of cymbal? Zildjian Acustom

Where do you practice? i am fortunate to have my own practice space

Are you in a band? Yes , GREGZEYE - groove metal (http://www.reverbnation.com/gregzeyeKT)

Do you play covers or originals? Originals

What style of music? Rock / Metal

Favourite take out food? Chicken fillets.

What country do you live in? Croatia

One really odd fact about yourself? Don't know.

How did you start drumming? I've always wanted to be in front of the crowd with my band :)

Hello there! Decided to join the forum to gain information and advice as I get back into drumming.

How long playing?:4 Years from ages 16-20
Make of Kit: Pearl Vision
Make of cymbals: Sabian
Where do you practice: In the flat once I have my new kit set up.
In a band? Not currently unfortunately, possibly in the near future!
Covers or originals? Previous bands just did covers.
What style of music? I enjoy Playing rock/Funk with the odd attempt at progressive.
Favourite take out food: A nice Steak or Indian.
Country you live in? England
How did you start drumming? My Dad was a professional drummer in the past, (gave it up because of me) he had being trying to get me into it for years but I didn't take too much notice. One day he brought home a kit, I had a go and I loved it from there.

My Introduction

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and see myself being a daily user and poster, so I wanted to say hi and to introduce myself. I'm 28 years old and have been playing the drums on and off for 15 years. I began playing drums in junior high followed by marching band in high school. I've played in a few bands, rock and metal, and currently I'm just playing on my own trying to improve my technique, speed, etc. My favorites genres to play now are funk, rock, and jazz. I play a DW Collector's series maple kit and various Zildjian K cymbals. My influences are Tony Royster Jr., Dennis Chambers, Mike Cosgrove, Terry Bozzio, Ringo Starr, Gregg Bissonette, Dave Grohl, Carter Beauford, Tomas Lang, and Steve Gadd.

I look forward to conversing with you guys.

Hello all,
My name is Ryan and I've been playing drums off and on for nearly 20 years now. I decided to get serious about playing drums back in 2009 and studied for a couple of years at a local community college that offered a music program. I did fairly ok there but lost alot when I stopped attending but I am looking to return and finish my degree. Thanks for having me and I hope to speak to with you guys soon.

Just found this forum and have already learned a lot just reading through old posts.

After not having played in about 20 years, I've recently decided to get back into playing. Back in the day I was lucky enough to study with Phil Stanger, though I was a terrible student. I messed around on a '67 Ludwig kit that I really wish I still had.

I've spent the last two decades working in advertising and filmmaking, and I've always been around musicians pro and amateur. For some reason a bunch of my friends are drummers, and I just decided to get back into it.

As for my goals, well…they're modest. If I can play with some friends and keep good time, I'll be happy. If we can play something like "Deacon Blues" without making a mess of things, I'll be over the moon.

So for now, I'll be putting a kit together and looking for some lessons here in Austin, Texas. Cheers to all of you for sharing what you know!

Just joined after reading various posts here for a few months.
My name is Cooper, age 17. I've been playing since age 7 and am self-taught. I play a Tama Imperialstar 5-piece in Midnight Blue, and use a variety of cheap cymbals, but within the next few months will have a new snare (Pork Pie) and some new Sabian AAX V Crash cymbals. Right now, my kit's pretty dumpy. Well, it always has been, I guess.
I use promark 5A sticks and Evans heads. Love both of 'em.

I listen to bands like Animals as Leaders, Tesseract, Enter Shikari, and yeah, Justin Timberlake. The list goes on. Really though, I'm not really a genre snob. More of a quality snob. (Which is probably worse)

I'm in a 2-piece "band" with my friend, who plays bass and guitar. We're currently working on our first album, and will be recording it ourselves! We haven't gotten the chance yet to play live (live in a small town with the local scene being mostly bad metalcore) but hopefully we will soon. We play prog metal and doom metal and whatever we feel like playing.

Geeze, that was a long intro. Anyway, I've got to go to work in a bit so I'm heading out.

Cheers!

Hey, I'm Tim.

Been playing drums off and on for half my life. I'm about 50 now.

I like playing many different styles, but hard/heavy rock is where my soul is.

Usually sit behind a three up-two down setup with double pedal and a fair amount of pies in the sky.

Four kits- Roland V Drums, vintage Tama Imperialstars, a Pearl EX, and my sweetheart Masterworks. Got a few Ludwig, Pearl, Tama, and Premier snares laying around. Alloy from Paiste, Sabian, Zildjian, UFIP, and Dream, depending on my mood.

I'm usually in 2-3 bands at a time, but right now just focusing on one.

I really want to learn more about doing videos, especially multi-camera edits.

Hope to be a regular on here.

G'day,

My name's John, and I'm drumming just outside of Ottawa Canada in Aylmer Quebec. I've got about 20 years experience behind kit, mostly playing in volume sensitive situations (small churches and coffee bars). I've probably clocked more time with brushes or lightning rods in my hands than actual sticks. I usually find myself in the folk/jazz/blues genre, but occasionally get a call to fill in rock/blues gigs.

Here's a rough sample of the types of things I'm doing these days. And by rough, I mean it was recording on an iPhone by a passer-by while we were having an outdoor jam. You drum geeks will probably get a kick out of the fact that I'm playing a K Constantinople attached to a Samsonite suitcase using a vice-grip wrench ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxR0GVrrImc&list=UUWShWLlOF22B6Y0dgefxX3g

Oh, and here's my answers to the standard questions:

Age? 33
How long have you been playing? 20 years
Origin of user name? This one is fun, it dates back to being on an old email mailing list that had a handful of "John"s, so they always had to include the last initial (I was John P). In a typo, someone typed Jopn for my name one, and it was decided that it was a more efficient way to write our names - replacing the silent letter with one that held significance :)
Your top 5 drummers? Peter Erskine, David King, Adam Cormier, Jeff Hamilton, Jojo Mayer
Make of drumkit? Handmade oak stave kit, built by a neighbour
Make of cymbal? All Ziljian Ks, either Raw Dry or Constantinople
Where do you practice? At home, at low volumes
Are you in a band? Yes, currently playing with Dan Bloom Trio
Do you play covers or originals? Originals
What style of music? Folk blues
Favourite take out food? Thai green curry
What country do you live in? Canada
One really odd fact about yourself? I roast my own coffee
How did you start drumming? I was socially awkward as a kid, so when I found that I had a knack for the drums, I used that as a social lubricant to meet people.

Cheers,

John

Re: Back After Long Hiatus

Hi DW members,

Since it has been so long since I have posted to the forum, I thought I would post here.

I missed you guys. I will be reading to catch up on the goings on of those that I remember that have been the "regulars".

I got so busy with work, family and travel that I haven't made time for DW. I have been playing often, at least 3-4 times a week when I'm home.

For newer members, I joined in 2005 and enjoyed all the exchanges and info for a long time. I have a few kits, a bunch of cymbals and like playing Rock, Blues, R&B, Funk and some POP Rock and Country.

It's good to be back. I'll see you in the threads.

Age? 51
How long have you been playing? 34 years
Origin of user name? Name of business that I own with my wife
Your top 5 drummers? Steve Jordan,
Make of drumkit? DW, PDP, Gretsch and Ludwig
Make of cymbal? Zildjians and Sabians
Where do you practice? At home. We have a space for rehearsals too.
Are you in a band? Yes, currently playing with the Hickory Flat Band
Do you play covers or originals? Both
What style of music? Rock, Blues, R&B, Funk and some POP Rock and Country
Favourite take out food? Mexican
What country do you live in? USA
One really odd fact about yourself? I am very friendly and happy person but I am an AK47 fanatic. I love building, collecting and shooting them.
How did you start drumming? I played guitar in high school. A friend played drums and gave me a few lessons. I got hooked and have played drums ever since.

Hi guys,

Long time lurker of these forums and finally decided to take the plunge and start getting involved with my fellow drummers.

Real name? Jay Gilchrist
Age? 36
How long have you been playing? 26 years (since I was 10), but I had been banging on pots and pans, and any other surface since I can remember)
Origin of user name? It's a username I use on a bunch of different forums. Nothing to do with drumming
Your top 5 drummers? Buddy Rich, Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Smith, Dennis Chambers
Make of drumkit? Tama Starclassic Maple
Make of cymbal? Sabian
Where do you practice? At home
Are you in a band? Not currently
Do you play covers or originals? I will play both
What style of music? Primarily Progressive Rock, but I like to play all genres
Favourite take out food? Pizza!!!
What country do you live in? Canada
One really odd fact about yourself? I don't really have any.
How did you start drumming? It all started when I saw Buddy Rich on the Muppet Show. I had always had a natural ability to follow the beats to songs since I was an infant, but seeing him on there made me actually want to start to play seriously.

Hello drummers! =)

Real name? Cynthia Tsai
Age? 28
How long have you been playing? 16 years
Origin of user name? my name =P
Your top 5 drummers? Jukka Nevalainen(Nightwish) Van Williams (Nevermore), Ariën van Weesenbeek (Epica), Vinnie Paul (Pantera), Carter Beauford (Dave Mathews Band)
Make of drumkit? Now I have a Roland TD4K2, but also a gretsch snare for the shows
Make of cymbal? Sabian and Paiste
Where do you practice? At home and at the studio
Are you in a band? Yes! It´s a Thrash metal band, Scatha /,,/
What style of music? Thrash Metal
Favourite take out food? oh..popcorn XD
What country do you live in? Brazil
One really odd fact about yourself? I want a Sphynx Cat! hahaha
How did you start drumming? I used to play the piano, but one day i tought "man.. this is boring! I´m gonna play the drums!!"

Re: INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself

Real name? Drew
Age? 34
How long have you been playing? 23 years
Origin of user name? I was told I am a meat and potatoes kind is drummer and I screwed that up While typing but hey that's rock and roll
Your top 5 drummers? Brad Roberts (gwar)Gordy Forman(frenzal rhomb) John Bonham, Vinny Paul, Phil Rudd in no particular order
Make of Drum kit? Pork pie
Make of cymbal? Played Zildjian for twenty years but made the move to paiste and haven't looked back
Where do you practice? In a studio
Are you in a band? Two
Do you play covers or originals? One band does covers and the other is all original
What style of music do you play? Punk, alternative, and oldies
Favourite take out food? Can't afford take out at the moment
One really odd fact about yourself? I hate Facebook and other stuff like that
How did you start drumming? Animal on the muppets got me wanting to play, I saw "let there be rock" at a very young age and that made me want to perform

Real name? Shamani Hyldahl
Age? 27
How long have you been playing? On and off for about 13 years, but seriously for the last 4
Origin of user name? I bet you can guess that one
Your top 5 drummers? Jojo Mayer, Jimmy Kyle, Mario Duplantier, tomas haake, Brant Bjork. I'm not sure I have favorite drummers, but these are all drummers I enjoy listening to and have learned a lot from
Make of drumkit? Tama Starclassic performers 100% birch
Make of cymbal? A mix of Sabian and Zildjian + a wuhan China
Where do you practice? In a varry small room
Are you in a band? Yes, Attakk
Do you play covers or originals? Originals with the occasional cover thrown in for fun
What style of music? Thrash Metal is the simplest way to classify it. We try not to be too tied down by genres though
Favourite take out food? Chinese
What country do you live in? US
One really odd fact about yourself? I read books upside down hanging from my inversion table quit a lot
How did you start drumming? To be honest I don't remember a specific reason, other than I've always loved music and it looked like fun

Hi there! I've been around for a long time, just never here :^). I've played everything from Christian rock, touring Europe and Africa with Far Beyond Silence based out of Germany playing hand percussion, Drum and Bugle core and marching band stuff, to hard rock and blues. I've been rehearsing with some friends for a year now and we're getting ready to break out with Kinda Brutal within the next month or so in Denver Colorado.

Real name? David Sechler
Age? 49
How long have you been playing? Since I was 4 (You do the math)
Origin of user name? I'm a Microsoft Sr. Systems Engineer.
Your top 5 drummers? John Bonham, Carmine Appice, Mitch Mitchell, Vinnie Colaiuta, Jonathan Joseph
Make of drumkit? SONOR Force 2007
Make of cymbal? Paste 2002 Series, Zildjian High Hat
Where do you practice? Studio in Denver Colorado.
Are you in a band? Yes... Kinda Brutal
What style of music? 60's Surf, Punk, Hard Rock, Blues
Favourite take out food? Pho
One really odd fact about yourself? Rare Blood Disorder that only 2% of caucasians get (only caucasians can even get it)
How did you start drumming? Parents bought me a Dennis the Mennis drum kit back in the days when Tarzan was on TV in black and white. I would work on mimicking the drums from the jungle tribes until one day, one of those jungle dudes started playing a drum by dancing on it.... my little kit didn't fare so well from my trying to do that LOL

I'll get some picks and video's up on here shortly.

David

Back