Too early for a band?

ageadm

Hey guys,

Many of you recommend me to get into a band in many posts, but the problem is that I consider myself slightly better than a beginner since I've been drumming intensively for 3 months only. So does this "Get a band" recommendation apply even to me? I can create a band anytime, I've a bassist friend, another guitarist, drums (myself)... I even got a friend who can play the keyboard/piano. All I need is a vocalist. So forming my own band shouldn't be a problem, I just see myself as the problem. What do you think? Should I get more experience and then start or it's never too early for a band?

Dugi

Just get your friends together and start jamming. Play simple beats, no one cares. The most important part is that you are playing with other musicians.

At 3 months, it is too early for you to pursue a serious, gigging band in my eyes. There is still a lot you need to learn musically and grow into that position, but it is never too early to get your friends together and just jam. Random jam sessions with your friends will help improve your musicianship and capabilities. Never get ahead of yourself, just play.

Get together and play with your friends, you'll be putting into jams what you've been learning so far, but keep practicing your instrument, and most importantly, have fun doing it. you could all work on a simple song to cover.

Yes! Playing music with peers is the bomb! Just get together and jam; it is the best practice you can get. Do not be concered with the "band" thing. Have fun.

Hopefully you'll learn a lot from playing with other people. I know I do.
It's never too early to form a band. Just make sure you're all friends and you can jam from time to time. There is no need to play the Wembley Stadium in the first couple of weeks, playing in a band is all about having fun and not about feeling pressure.

I started playing with other people after my first 2 weeks behind the kit - for every beginner drummer there are a billion beginner guitarists and most of them can be persuaded to play bass if you can't find a dedicated bass player. Yeah, you may not be ready to play with Bootsy Collins or whoever but that don't mean you can't have a lot of fun with people at whatever level you're at. I say go go go . . .

Good luck and have fun.

Yes! Form a band! Absolutely. The thing is, you'll learn so much more in a band situation and how it pertains to playing drums, even if you're just jamming with your buddies. The experience is the big thing here. Having experience prepares you for playing with others in the future, and gives you the tools you need to be successful just about every time you get behind the drums.

And don't worry about your playing level. You've got friends that have gear. Jam with them. They're your friends. Just play what you can and they'll likely be doing the same. No worries.

Yes! Start playing with others as soon as possible! You'll be amazed at how quickly your skills will increase.

I think you are getting too caught up in the word "band". Do this- get together with your friends and call it "jamming with friends". Then, if you find yourselves having a good time and meeting up regularly to jam, then call yourselves a "band"!

There......does that take some pressure off? :)

Have fun and good luck!

Another "go for it, vote". The more you play, the better you'll become. And if the guys you play with are "more advanced" than you, then you'll more than likely work harder on improving your own game.​

I started playing at the age of 13 and never took real lessons. I started a band the same year (just 1 guitar player). It is the best experience you will ever have. You learn to play with other musicians. You learn to be responsible (learn your part and show up). i am still best friends with him today even though he moved to the west court and I'm in Ohio. When we quit gigging together in the mid 80's we were know at "the encyclopedia of rock". We knew any and every song (not note for note but close enough) and we could improvise like no one else!
Do it. You will have fun, make friendships and grow musically and personally!

Back