Sad Drumming

1 generally quiet dynamics, either with brushes or controlled playing
2 Use of space (which i find different than minimalism, you can do a lot then stop then do some more)
3 playing behind the beat (I hear this myself but would like some agreement before confirming)
4 building on the initial quiet simple feel without losing where you started (maybe not necessary but necessary to sound good)
please comment and critique

Generally, I'd agree. Basically the opposite to sounding exuberant (loud, fast, on top of the beat etc). Probably lower tones

PS I disagree that anger is the only negative emotion suited for lively playing, there is anxiety, envy, and hate. Yin and Yang there must be balance between positive and negative.

I don't geddit, Andy. I cannot imagine how drums by themselves can sound anxious, envious or hateful. Angry, no probs. I just can't see that level of nuance in unaccompanied drums. That could just be my own limitations.

Also be sure to check out this song from the same cd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4i6--cSAJM

Especially the beautiful minimalistic part that starts at about 2:40.
Kind of a drum solo I think, maybe one that qualifies as a sad one?

I don't know if it's sad... but it's certainely a beautiful minimalistic approach to drumming, and the drummer soloing parts are so much within the context of this song, a real little gem Matthias, thanks for posting :)

I don't geddit, Andy. I cannot imagine how drums by themselves can sound anxious, envious or hateful. Angry, no probs. I just can't see that level of nuance in unaccompanied drums. That could just be my own limitations.[/QUOTE]

Anxious drumming is very fast slightly ahead of the beat and not perfect, hard to do without just sounding bad, but possible.
Hateful is slower with buildups and bursts of loud playing.
Envy can't really be done entirely unaccompanied but can do solos, usually when I do it, it is me trying to play their melody on my set, but not note for not, kinda replace stuff with bass and snare patterns as well. It also often takes some facial expressions to get the idea to the audience so its not the most obvious.
But you really need to feel the emotions yourself if anyone else has a hope of a chance of hearing it.

Drumfreak1987- I love morphine, but the drum parts aren't overly sad too me even though the songs often are. The singer/bass player had the best rock-star death ever too.

lol words escape me......

Gave me an idea though, if you tuned your toms to notes you could play in a minor key.

Sigur Ros drummer
Anything they do

listen to nick mason, not necessarily sad, but definitely melancholy, slow, in the mood...us and them, echoes, comfortably numb

Good golly Polly! I had to go douse my ears with some Steve and Eydie to counter the affects of that video.

Lol Epic win for Polly. Yes this thread has lost its point or a least morphed. Originally the goal was to determine what type of drumming sounds sad more or less on its own, not how to drum to a sad song or post fav sad songs. Though those porcupine tree songs had great drumming, I've seen Gavin's solos before but never his band.

Back