sponsorship mythbusting

ddocimo

is sponsorship really all about the band or does talent itself give you a good shot at a deal?

Yes.

It's about visibility. Obviously bands that get heavy rotation will get that for its drummer and that might be enough, or the drummer can just be so unbelievably good that it doesn't matter as much who he/she is playing with (as long as the visibility factor is still there - say if you had a gig at an MD Festival).

More often than not, it's a combination.

I would imagine it's all about visibility and getting a product out in front of the masses.

Like as said below, if a drummer is a great drummer no matter which band he plays with, he has a large following and manufacturers want their product to be seen being played by drummer X, master drummer.

Also if the band has a large following and people recognize the band wherever they may go, manufacturers will try as hard as they can to get their products used by the band so people will see band X playing and using their gear.

On the flip side, a manufacturer will not sponsor the local band playing at the local bar for door cover plus tips because they are exaclty that - local - no matter how much talent they may have. They could be musical geniuses but nobody outside of that geographic area recognizes the band or drummer - not much of a following except family and friends. The only way they may be able to get sponsorship is through the local music shop, I would imagine. And only then at the descretion of the general manager or owner, but probably the deal comes with strings attached as well.

just my opinion......

It isn't solely visibility, I know a few local teachers who are endorsed because of their influence on students. Most of the major educators at college level are endorsed too.

I actually wish that companies would go back to the old model of endorsers getting a new kit every year, but the manufacturer retains ownership of the kit, and the kits have to be turned in at the end of the year. I read about that in the Gretsch book and it sounded like a really good idea to me. Obviously it would be impossible for sticks and heads, and less possible for cymbals, but not really most cymbals have a 1 year warranty anyways and if they broke they would be replaced.

I stopped worrying about sponsorship along time ago. Just focus on your music and when you're playing on letterman and good morning America they will be tracking you down.

That being said if you are playing out or on youtube and buying custom drums most of the custom makers seem very willing to give you discounts on custom drums.

I really do think it's crazy that drummers who only play on youtube get endorsed, but some of those guys get millions of views which is more attention probably than some radio artists get.

so the visibility is what it all comes down to?

It's primarily a balance between visibility to, and influence on, the company's potential customers. Talent is down the list from those factors.

It certainly doesn't hurt to play well, but endorsements are rarely finalized based on ability alone.

Bermuda

I really do think it's crazy that drummers who only play on youtube get endorsed, but some of those guys get millions of views which is more attention probably than some radio artists get.

are you serious? are there really guys who are only seen on youtube but still get endorsements?

Not to flame Travis Barker here, but he is a good example on how endorsements work. He gets endorsed in a huge way, while there are a lot of other drummers who are just as good or better than him. But they just cant make as much news as Travis does.

Take a look at that four year old kid who has a slew of vids on youtube that are of him playing a kit that I can't even rememeber, and now he's got his own dot.com with Peace and Sabian (I think) plastered on it.

He plays great (for a four year old)...definitely impressed, but endorsed?!?!?

Really?

Youtube's visibility overwhelming gets the nod.

***********EDIT************

He's five...Jonah Rocks, plays SJC AND DW Drums, Vic firth, Zidjian, Stoked Thrones, and Evans Heads

http://www.jonahrocks.com/home.htm

Not to say, that talent and musicianship can't get you endorsed, but I'd have to agree that visibility has the highest marketing strategy cornered.

Last edited:
Not to flame Travis Barker here, but he is a good example on how endorsements work. He gets endorsed in a huge way, while there are a lot of other drummers who are just as good or better than him. But they just cant make as much news as Travis does.

among contemporary drummers, he's the closest thing there is to a "household name". maybe joey jordinson is close to a household name too. other than living legend and dead drummers like neil peart and buddy rich, travis barker is one of the very few modern drummers whose name you can mention to a non-musician and there's a good chance they've heard of him. naturally you'd expect someone like him to have a lot of sponsorship.

It's business. It's about how much product you can help move. Many college professors can move more product for a company then the local music store and that's why many of them get endorsements.

Take a look at that four year old kid who has a slew of vids on youtube that are of him playing a kit that I can't even rememeber, and now he's got his own dot.com with Peace and Sabian (I think) plastered on it.

He plays great (for a four year old)...definitely impressed, but endorsed?!?!?

Really?

Youtube's visibility overwhelming gets the nod.

***********EDIT************

He's five...Jonah Rocks, plays SJC AND DW Drums, Vic firth, Zidjian, Stoked Thrones, and Evans Heads

http://www.jonahrocks.com/home.htm

Not to say, that talent and musicianship can't get you endorsed, but I'd have to agree that visibility has the highest marketing strategy cornered.

I wonder if he's really endorsed. It's possible whomever made his site doesn't realize that "plays[insert brand here]" actually implies an equipment endorsement, they just copied the idea from other sites. On the other hand, it's quite possible he does have those endoresments. I don't know if 25,000 views is enough to warrant that or not. But damn, that little kid is a GREAT little drummer. Confidence, pocket, I hope he sticks with it. I also appreciate that whoever posts his videos disables the comments. Children should not have to be exposed to the hurtful mean-spirited things people post. I know one gets fewer views without comments, but so what.

I work as a sales rep for a small drum manufacturer in Detroit, MI, and I will tell you this: If you want to get endorsed, you need to develop a relationship with a company. Visibility can come in so many ways--there's studio/session drummers, performance drummers, drummers who do a lot of clinics, and some that mix it up and are just working all the time. You will get an endorsement if you are working all the time, and are easy to work with as a business partner. You are, after all, responsible for letting people know how awesome your stuff is once you are being endorsed. You are being paid in discounted gear for your time as an advertising rep.

I am so curious why this is such a question today. I had no idea what an endorsement even was in 90's growing up except something for hugely famous guys. It seems this is the dream of all drummers as a sign they "made it". I will happily trade all of my "sponsorships" I have for that jet set arena gig. Anyone?

In all seriousness, concentrate on being the best player you can be and getting the best gigs you can get. Once you have your band & playing in place, all the other things will start to fall in place. I just find it interesting that if you did a search, I bet you would find more threads asking about how to get an endorsement deal than to how to build your career.

Back