My Tama kit

Infernal Valkyrie

Hey guys,

I'm new here, just joined today. I'll start things off by posting a few pictures of my drums. Maybe later I can post a couple of my Ayottes.

the drums are Starclassic Performer b/b in red sparkle fade. I bought actually a 6 piece but still waiting for my 16" floor. I'm proud of my drums but when I get the other tom it'll kick ass.

Feel free to ask about any of the specs or stuff I'm using.

NewSCPerformerkit004.jpg

NewSCPerformerkit005.jpg

NewSCPerformerkit006.jpg

NewSCPerformerkit001-1.jpg

NewSCPerformerkit003.jpg

NewSCPerformerkit009.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

Thanks guys. The photos didnt turn out very detailed, and the flash didn't help. In that jam space the lighting isnt bright and I was taking them in the largest room.
Next time the pics will turn out better in a different room.

I paid 2000 canadian for them. Pretty rocking deal, the drums are brand new. The original floor tom was damaged somehow but I've never seen it, as I'm just waiting for a replacement from Tama. Not sure if its shipped from the USA or Japan.

I have said it before... the B/B is the best value of any kit out there. B/B can *own* a maple or birch kit because it combines the strengths of two woods. It also does it for a very low price for what it is. When I tried one, it became an instant classic to me. I used to place mapex saturns in that category but the B/B cost less than saturns do now, and project better.

Great kit!

Thanks for your comment. I do feel these drums sound amazing, better than my last kit maple Ayotte. I haven't played very many high end kits but for my style of music, this is great.

Welcome, Awesome kit, hope the 16 gets to you quick, but have fun with what you have so far!

Nice to see you dra..infernal valkyrie :)! You'll like it here.

Nice kit. I love the Bubinga inlayed hoops on your bass drum. Very classy.

IF you are in the USA and the drum is instock(which it probably wont be) It ships from the tama warehouse in Bensalem PA

Thanks, Karl. Nice to see some familiar names on here. If the tom is shipping from the States, it should probably be here in a couple weeks I'm guessing. It has been on order since before I bought the drums, about 5 weeks ago. If its coming out of Japan probably at least a couple more months. I'm also waiting for a small 2002 splash from Switzerland, that thing has been taking forever.. Kind of frustrating but lately I dont use some of my paiste crashes to hopefully extend their life.

Glad you like the bass hoops, I do too. Its great having that bubinga inlay but the thing I like about is it got lacquered, looks sexy. Yesterday when I practiced last, I noticed something different about the hoops. They follow the same idea as the actual shell. 3 plies of bubinga (not sure the exact number) and 5 plies of birch outer plies. I didnt notice the birch plies til recently, but they look very unique.

I forgot to post specs. Some of the cymbals weren't set up, basically adds 5 minutes extra of waiting. As soon as I attach the pedal to the bass drum, I'm getting impatient haha. My 2002 crash escapes practices, I use the Rude crash for that rough playing. I like various different cymbals, and have a hobby for kick pedals.

Starclassics:
20" x 22"............kick
8" x 10".............tom
9" x 12".............tom
12" x 14"...........floor tom
14" x 16"...........floor tom
6" x 13".............snare

Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute snare 5.5" x 14"

Sabian:
AAX Metal crash 16"
AAX Dark crash 18"
AAX Stage ride 21"
AAX Fusion hats 13"

Wuhan china 22"

Paiste:
RUDE Thin crash 16"
2002 Medium crash 18"
Alpha thin splash 10"
2002 splash 8"

Tama 1st chair wide rider
Yamaha hihat stand
Yamaha stands
Tama Iron Cobra flexi-glide single

Remo clear or coated ambassador
Vic Firth 5b sticks

Thanks man. I have used the tama snare a few times, it sounds cool. I usually leave it at home because its not good to store stuff I don't use in my locker there. The yammie is tuned higher pitched actually and I feel better beating the crap out of it. It's a goldish honey color, and looks pretty cool with the drums. Planning on buying the yamaha wood hoops to make it look even nicer. I think it would look great.

Beautiful kit. How does the Bubinga compare to the maple? Nice snare btw

Great stuff! I like the sound of coated heads for my drums, but I've seen the B/B in person and the interior ply is beautiful. I would HAVE to put clear heads like you just to stare at the inside of the drums.

The cymbals are great, too. I have found sounds to my liking by both Sabian and Paiste as well. Sometimes, it's tough to choose. Good work.

Thanks guys. I had some pleasant surprises when I picked up the drums because I didn't know the depths. I forgot that this is what the 6 piece config was before they introduced hyperdrive to sc performer.
I was more than happy to have not an 18x22 but a 20x22" kick drum, my previous kick was 16x20.
The snare was the icing on the cake, I've never had a 13" snare. I have a standard 14" yamaha maple that I use for practicing, its actually tuned higher.. cranked. It sounds very good with the B/B drums but I would say the ear can hear the difference.
All the drums have much more lows and warmth compared to my last maple kit. I had an Ayotte kit with maple hoops and it truly blew me away, maybe I should have reskinned it. But it only took a couple minutes of playing the Tamas before those blew me away, keep in mind the Tama's cost only about a 3rd of what the Ayottes did. In fact I sold my ayottes only 3 piece and paid $700 more to get this brand new starclassic.

The idea of getting a rack has crossed my mind. Maybe if you guys have some advice on that, just let me know.
I basically don't have enough stands to even set up all my cymbals but since all my playing is practice that I do at my jam space, I can borrow a dozen stands. My guess is I should buy a rack now when I only have a few stands, rather than buy a few more stands only to buy a rack later in the future.

Ten, I have felt that way the whole time I've had them. As time goes by I'm starting to think I will change them to coated, probably remo vintage A's. I would of course keep the clear reso heads. Then I would change to clear emperors or ambassadors on top with some ebony ambassadors on the bottom. imo that would look insane how it fades to black at the bottom and a black head on the reso.

Sorry for the long post guys.

The idea of getting a rack has crossed my mind. Maybe if you guys have some advice on that, just let me know.
I basically don't have enough stands to even set up all my cymbals but since all my playing is practice that I do at my jam space, I can borrow a dozen stands. My guess is I should buy a rack now when I only have a few stands, rather than buy a few more stands only to buy a rack later in the future.

Sorry for the long post guys.

definetly get one before you think of getting any more stands. I would think that you could buy a pretty decent rack for the price of 7 more high quality stands.

Thanks Eddie.
I have been saving up for a double pedal but maybe I should spend the money on getting a rack. I can continue setting up another bass drum for practice since I have two single pedals.

I don't know very much about racks at all. I've heard the gibraltar ones are good and compatible with any drum. Is there special tom holders I can buy for an Icon to use one with my drums, or would I have to buy Tama's one or something with L rods.

Back