Picked up a 14x6 1/2 Mapex Brass Master snare last night

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
So... this thing weighs almost as much as my 3yo. Sounds killer though. I have been using a stable of Supras for several years with no regret, but I have been looking for something different for my all snare kit (4-5 snares with my 20 SCM kick). I also picked up a mid 60's Ludwig Pioneer about a week ago which is also killer for a fat old school marching snare sound without taking up all of the space. Doubles as a pseudo floor tom on this kit. Phone pictures; sorry. Just thought I would share. I don't post pictures of my gear usually, but I will make an exception. This time.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,600
I just moved so I don't really know where any decent cameras at the moment. It looks more scuffed up in the picture than it does in person. More importantly though it sounds fantastic and is exactly what I was looking for in my all-snare (less kick) kit.

I just moved so I don't really know where any decent cameras at the moment. It looks more scuffed up in the picture than it does in person. More importantly though it sounds fantastic and is exactly what I was looking for in my all-snare (less kick) kit.
Sounds interesting. Carry on! :)

Nice looking snare. I'm gonna go ahead and withhold any adjectives like "beautiful" and "Sexy" till I see some better pics. I'm sure Stix is with me on this one.

The cell phone camera should do fine, it just needs some natural light to show off in.

How does she sound? Not too choked with those die-cast hoops on there?

Sounds interesting. Carry on! :)

I have several kits to choose from. A Gretsch Cat Maple turned mini kit (16 kick, 10 rt, 12 and 14 ft, 22 kick for parts and possibly furniture), Tama Starclassic Maple (20x18, 12x9 and 14x12), Tama Starclassic B/B (24x18 10x61/2, 12x7 and 16x14), DW Collectors (22x18, 10x8, 12x8 and 16x14), a Simmons SD9K E-Kit and many snares (mostly Ludwig Supras all shapes and sizes and Acros, old Gretsch maple and a Yamaha Symphonic. For now. I constantly swap, sell and buy to find something different to what I have. I am lucky in that half of my local gigs are booked because someone likes my sound. They like the tones I can bring to their show. The majority of these gigs are acoustic/electric trios playing jazz, blues, crooner, R&B, country and singer/songwriter pop/rock. They pay well, as I am usually a fill in due to my prior commitments, and are extremely fun. The other half of my gigs are rock, rock en espanol, country or pop/variety with huge P.A.s where my individual tones don't matter. My sound does, just not the tones which comprise the sound.
For my gigs where tones count; most of them are extremely groove (for these gigs-kick, hat, snare, ride, shakers, hoops, cowbell, etc.) based. I just combined all of my favorite snares into one kit with a kick and my cymbals. I will occasionally run a floor tom to the left of my hats if I need some extra low end.

Last edited:
Nice looking snare. I'm gonna go ahead and withhold any adjectives like "beautiful" and "Sexy" till I see some better pics. I'm sure Stix is with me on this one.

The cell phone camera should do fine, it just needs some natural light to show off in.

How does she sound? Not too choked with those die-cast hoops on there?

Sorry for the bum pictures. I am no photographer. Tomorrow I will try and take a nice outdoor pic with natural lighting.
It sounds great although I don't like the Evans Power Center Reverse Dot or Remo Ambassador Snare side head attached when I picked it up. Once I slap an Amb or G1 and Hazy 3 on the bottom all should be well. But, considering both of the heads on it I don't prefer, it still sounds great. I can make it work with what is equipped with is what I'm saying. If it can do that it should sound great with my preferred heads.

Back