Underrated Drummers

I agree - Polly. I´m adding Roger Taylor / Queen.

I find that the many drummers who are not lauded from the rooftops are talented but have a fairly generic sound and/or approach - not much there that's really obviously identifiable.

You can usually pick Steve Gadd, Ringo, Billy Cobham, Bonzo, Moonie or Bill Bruford immediately - less likely to pick, say, Ritchie Hayward, Will Calhoun, Fran Breen, Ralph Humphrey, Harvey Mason or Michael Shrieve even though they are great players. They also have their idiosyncrasies that no doubt some of you can pick, but they are less obvious.

Having a conventional sound and style is no crime, of course, since the aim of the game is to work with your group's sound and often a fairly standard approach is what works best.

I don't think people are understanding the topic. Ralph Humphrey is a huge name in drumming. He's not underrated. I think it's also the individual's perspective. Like in the Steve Hass post there are people who never heard of him and other's who think he's a household name. I suppose it all depends on how current you are with what's actually going on now. Hass had an 8page modern drummer feature back in 2006 and had written many columns as well as being in "ask a pro". He's all over the internet on site's like this where people talk about drummers. I don't think that's underrated, yet people say Steve is underrated. I don't agree. Roger Taylor is on of the most influential rock drummers in the world. How is that being underrated?

Drumbob, fair point about Ralph - he's running a music school, isn't he? The way I was thinking when I posted was that he doesn't seem to appear much on "Greatest Drummers in Rock" lists or in discussions here. His work with Chester on Zappa's Roxy and Elsewhere was something I kept coming back to in my youth when I was in the mood to listen to knockout drumming.

I think that Scott Phillips from Alter Bridge is a extremely groovy, john bonham - influenced drummer, and I think that Sean Reinert is a master of drumming, and should be considered as one of the best in Metal and Jazz fusion. For me, these are the most underrated drummers.

Carlos Aguilar of 40 Below Summer. Amazing nu-metal/alt. metal group from Jersey with a fresh, original, unique sound, very dynamic just as their drummer is. not the fastest, not the flashiest, not the most crazy and creative, but he sure does have a good mix! He can rock out as fast and hard as any other drummer, or soften things up and become musical with his drumming, even in the same song. I really like to hear this band and say "Damn this drummers GREAT. I believe he has a very similar drum style to me, and its fresh!"

Check the band out up on youtube if you havent heard/seen this band! Its a shame theyre broken up...

Oh! And Dan Johnson, ex drummer of The Sammus Theory, current drummer for Brian "Head" Welch. My band had a great time to participating with his former band at a couple of shows, and Ive seen him in concert playing for Head. Hes def. nowhere near ungodly great at drumming, but he is one fun, solid drummer. Check him out too, as well as The Sammus Theory and former Korn guitarist Brian "Head" Welch!

You might not understand the topic as well.
Yes indeed, Roger Taylor is an influential (inspiring and motivating) drummer but his playing style is not (usually referred, mention) as one of the greatest rock drummers, how do you call that: underrated.

I don't think people are understanding the topic. Roger Taylor is on of the most influential rock drummers in the world. How is that being underrated?

I think I have too go with Vinnie Appice he always gets overshadowed by his brother Carmine.

the work he did with Dio & Sabbath was very cool.

Bonzolead

Dave King - His playing with The Bad Plus is so skilled and creative. Not to mention he has amazing chops.

Ben Riley - He is the drummer on the Thelonious Monk's Underground. I really love how he puts together the songs. His solo on "In Walked Bud" is also pretty nice.

Bill Kreutzmann of The Grateful Dead.

Micky Hart got all the props but Kreutzmann was the backbone.

Dave King - His playing with The Bad Plus is so skilled and creative. Not to mention he has amazing chops.

Ben Riley - He is the drummer on the Thelonious Monk's Underground. I really love how he puts together the songs. His solo on "In Walked Bud" is also pretty nice.

Ha, we both love jazz, we both love ska, we named the same underrated drummer, what don't we have in common!?

Sean Reinert? Bill Kreutzman? Now that seems like the posts are kidding! And Swiss, if 5% of the world's drummers played with as much conviction and individuality as Travis Barker, we would have a lot of VERY good rock music out there.
On this debate of ratings; well I do agree that music isn't a race and its entire business aspect but the whole point of the argument is a drummer who's influential with his sound, someone who's a known individual with his music. The given premise then is that he or she must have played on records that have been available all over the world. Once that equation kicks in, its a lot easier to name John Bonham as an influence vis-à-vis Jon Fishman. Underrated, because Phishs music obviously didn't sell as much as Led Zep's. And most of the drummers we hear or see in today's music business are consummate professionals who are visible because they deserve to be.

Sean Reinert? Bill Kreutzman? Now that seems like the posts are kidding! And Swiss, if 5% of the world's drummers played with as much conviction and individuality as Travis Barker, we would have a lot of VERY good rock music out there.

Not sure I understand your post. I'm very certain that easily 5% of all drummers play with
very much conviction and have very distinctive styles. Or, judging from your last words, are
you only talking about rock music? Even then...!
Don't misunderstand me, I like Travis' playing, and I have nothing against him whatsoever,
but I used his name as an example for drummers who are very popular and sometimes
mistaken for "the best" because of that perspective. In Travis' case probably only by a lot
of teenagers who don't have a broad perspective and much experience of the field yet.

Last edited:
Honestly, Chris, is there anything like the "best drummer" in actually musicians' parlance?
And yes to an extent I was talking of rock drummers. At the same time, I'm sure there are little-known smoking jazz drummers out there -- I am tempted to mention the very young Clemens Litschko from the German experimental jazz band Jazzkomplott, whom I had the pleasure of watching live last year -- vis-à-vis the greats whom you hear on celebrated records. But its just that, you see: great drummers playing on great records that are universally hailed. A simple example is David Garibaldi vis-à-vis Johnny Vidacovich: whom would you call a "better" drummer? They are both greats, but chances are you've heard more of David with TOP than Johnny with Dr. John. Thus, it makes David a better-known name.

Did you address me with "Chris"? Well who are you debating with anyway!
I think you and I don't even talk about the same topic! I never said anything
opposite to what you said above, or did I?

Of course drummers in famous bands have bigger names! That's what I say
about Travis Barker actually, too!

Then you said "if 5% of the world's drummers played with as much conviction and
individuality as Travis Barker, we would have a lot of VERY good rock music out there."

So I can't really follow you with your last posts to be honest. What has one thing to do
with the other? Plus as I said, I never said otherwise!

Back