Gretsch Brookyln vs Renown

yanni

Hi guys,

I recently played a Gretsch Brooklyn with a 22"x18" BD. I really liked this kit a lot. It was not dampened at all and still sounded perfect. Very deep, open and resonant tone. I could play both Rock and Jazz on this which would be my goal. I don't think it has the "classic" Gretsch sound. Too me it sounds modern but still has this open sound which makes it great for playing Jazz or Fusion.

Of course the 22"x18" is too much for this kind of music. The Bassdrum sounded very Bonham like which is cool but not what I need. So I will go for 20"x18" or probably even 20"x16".

The salesguy told me the Renowns are better Rock Drums (they did not have any in the store). But of course the heads are way different on both kits. So its hard to say.

The renown is way cheaper than the Brooklyn though (I am in Europe). And the Brooklyns (especially with 20"x16" are very hard to find). Did somebody have the chance to compare both kits? Maybe even with simple ply heads on the renown?

On the videos I found on youtube especially the Keith Carlock vids sound exactly as the kit did in the store. The Renown videos sound more like a tight rock sound. But again I think the heads are a big factor.

Thanks for your help.

On the videos I found on youtube especially the Keith Carlock vids sound exactly as the kit did in the store. The Renown videos sound more like a tight rock sound. But again I think the heads are a big factor.

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

I own a Renown. To my ears, it sounds more like a modern USA custom, and the Brooklyn sounds more like a vintage USA custom. Gretsch made a line called the "New Classic" that may be more of what you're looking for.

Renowns in the sizes you seek are currently on clearance for $900 at Musiciansfriend.

I'm going to agree with your sales guy. While there is nothing preventing you from using a renown for jazz, it makes a great rock/country kit because it projects so incredibly well.

The Renown/NC/Marquee are all made in APAC. The Brooklyn/USAC/Broadcaster are all made in the USA. That's where the price difference is coming from.

The set that KamaK recommended from MF is a steal. I own that Renown set and you will not be disappointed.

What do you mean by projection exactly? I am not in the US so I cannot order this set. Wish I could ;) New classic would also be an option. Brooklyn and new classic are about the same price here.

Last edited:
So how do I decide for the correct line then? Sizes are clear to me. No shop carrys all the sets with the same heads.

What do you mean projection exactly? I am not in the US so I cannot order this set. Wish I could ;) New classic would also be an option.

The harder you hit them, the louder they become, without the audible artifacts that many other cheaper shells tend to produce (crushing, distortion, ungainly overtones). The primary note is highly resonant. Any overtones are fairly quiet unless you intentionally strike the rim. The rack toms would probably be very good for jazz/fusion as they produce a very strong primary note. They're extremely musical, and if you tune to major 4th increments, you can play melodies with them.

The (16") floor tom is something I've struggled with so far. The note is low and full, but a bit long in duration and decay. I'm 99% certain that it is because I do not possess the ear to tension it properly, and that I'll need to revisit my top/bottom tension ratio once I've developed my preferences a bit more.

The kick is probably my favorite part of the kit. Deep, loud, resounding, just like the Keith Karlock video you mentioned. It responds well dynamically. You can really hear the difference between soft and hard strikes. You can really hear the difference between a buried and a pulled beater.

All in all, the kit has made me a better player, because it lets me know when I'm doing something wrong, or playing with the wrong dynamic.

saying a certain line is better for one style of music than another is a completely bogus cop out .... not to mention ridiculous and untrue

certain sizes ?... yes

but a manufacturers line ?.... no

buy what you like best

Once again, Tony is correct.

I am not looking for a straight ahead jazz sound. More of jazz/fusion kind of sound. What Kamak describes sounds good to me. It seems that the Renown can also do this. I have no chance to play all those sets side by side. So I can only rely on what I listen to online. I played the Brooklyn though and liked it alot. It sounded like a mix between a punchy rock sound and a jazzy warm and open sound. You don't need any dampening on the Brooklyn to archive this.

First off I completely agree with Tony. The sound comes from you. So no matter what kit you buy or what genre you play you'll be able to play with just about any kit. Secondly, I've played both the renowns and the Brooklyns. They are both terrific drums. I lean towards the Brooklyns as I really like the 302 hoops. They don't focus the drums as much and let them ring. I like that. The toms really sounded incredible to me. I am also a believer of the made in the USA sentiment. That's not to say other drums are inferior. It's just a preference in which the explanation belongs in its own thread. Made anywhere wouldn't deter me if I liked the drums enough. The renowns fit and finish is just as good as any USA kit I've ever owned or seen. Either way you win. Just gotta hit Em and buy what speaks to you.

the sound comes form you not the drum brand or line

I have been a professional guitar player now for 20 years. I only recently started playing drums for a hobby. After all that years and different gear I can only partly agree. You are totally right the player makes the sound. Scofield is a great example here. On his first records he always played a 335 kind of guitar. On his recent recorda a telecaster. If you listen to this (those guitars are extremly different) you wont hardly hear any difference. Some is true for Carlos Santana for example. What ever he plays he sounds like him. On all guitars I had and have I sound like me. And all the guys that are trying my guitar sound like them.

BUT. On different guitars I tend to play differently. Some guitars inspire me to play a certain way. Probably most people won't even notice the sound difference. But to me its a big feel difference. On some guitars I feel "home" on some I don't. Some guitars put me into a "modern" direction some tend to sound more "vintage" so I play more vintage stuff on those. I could play every kind of music on every guitar. But I don't. This I why I dont really agree that the brand or line makes no difference for the music style. On a modern Ibanez metal axe I could play country. But I never would cause to me it does not sound right. On a telecaster I could play metal. But I never would. Cause again. This guitar will inspire me to play country or blues.

I have not enough experience with drumkits yet to judge if this is the same case here. But I already have made this experience with cymbals. Some of those just inspire me to play a different way and make me smile. I doubt that anyone in the audience will notice this though or makes me "better"

Secondly, I've played both the renowns and the Brooklyns. They are both terrific drums. I lean towards the Brooklyns as I really like the 302 hoops. They don't focus the drums as much and let them ring. I like that. The toms really sounded incredible to me. I am also a believer of the made in the USA sentiment. That's not to say other drums are inferior. It's just a preference in which the explanation belongs in its own thread. Made anywhere wouldn't deter me if I liked the drums enough. The renowns fit and finish is just as good as any USA kit I've ever owned or seen. Either way you win. Just gotta hit Em and buy what speaks to you.

This is exactly what I wanted to know and what I liked so much about the Brooklyn. But probably the Renowns did not have single ply heads? I think generally the Brooklyns are more open where as the Renowns are more focused. One is not "better" than the other. Just different. What is better for me I am not really sure about yet. But I am leaning towards the Brooklyn.

Last edited:
This is exactly what I wanted to know and what I liked so much about the Brooklyn. But probably the Renowns did not have single ply heads? I think generally the Brooklyns are more open where as the Renowns are more focused. One is not "better" than the other. Just different. What is better for me I am not really sure about yet. But I am leaning towards the Brooklyn.

In my mind, the biggest difference is going to come down to the hoop. Brooklyn uses 302's, the renown is cast. Cast hoops tend to reduce overtones, which is probably why the Renowns produce such a prominent and clean note.

There is a another middle ground in the form of the "Marquee" series. It's basically a Renown with triple flanged hoops. It might be worthwhile to try checking them out. The down side is the lack of a 20" option.

In my mind, the biggest difference is going to come down to the hoop. Brooklyn uses 302's, the renown is cast. Cast hoops tend to reduce overtones, which is probably why the Renowns produce such a prominent and clean note.

This was also what the sales guy said. Most times the difference is not in the wood but in the hoops. And this probably means with the same heads the Brookyln will still more open. This does also mean that the Renown sounds more similar to the new classic since they share the same hoops. This was a valid info. Thanks.

BTW. Here is a good comparison between Brooklyn and USA custom. For me. Again the Brooklyn wins. So I think decision is pretty much made now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMDSI3B01MM#t=119

Last edited:
I've played both and really like each for different reasons. To me, the heads feel different under the 302 hoops. They feel more lively and give a great rebound. It made me want to play off of the head more than playing into the head. Lots of great rebound. The heads on the Renown felt tighter, with less rebound. Great for note dense stuff where you want the note and feel to be quick.

Maybe that could all be in my head, but I swear the head tension feels different to me. Both felt great...just different. Am I crazy or could they feel that different?

Now I just have to decide between a 20"x18" und 20"x16" BD. I think I will go for 20"x16". This should be sufficent.

I own a Brooklyn kit but looked at the Renowned. Both are quality kits with good sound. To me the Brooklyn tone was more to my liking and the kit seemed a bit better finished. I compared them to the USA custom line and the plating was flawless on both of the Gretsch USA kits.

The USA custom line has a very focused tone, perhaps from the die cast hoops. The Brooklyn and Renowned kits both had 302 (3mm hoops). That said the Brooklyn kit seemed more responsive, punchy and open. There are differences in the quality, aging, curing and gluing of shells. Perhaps that might be the difference.

If you mike the kits up and frankly don't care about trade deficits then the Renowned kit will save money but over a life time, it may not matter.

By the way, I replaced my Japanese made Yamaha Absolute Custom Maple kit with the Brooklyn. The Brooklyn kit walked all over the Yamaha's once I made the comparison and I was really surprised.

Back