My 60's Silver Sparkle Ludwigs!

NerfLad

Silver Member
Okay gang, sorry about the cell phone pics, but I just moved into a different house and have no idea where our Cybershot is. I'll put more pics up in the near future if anyone's interested.

These are my recently acquired (September) 60's Ludwigs! Unfortunately the floor tom is mismatched, serial-wise, but they all have a nice even "Ginger Ale" look to them now.

Specs:

13 x 9 with knob muffler (1969 Maple/Poplar/Maple)
16 x 16 with baseball bat (1967 Mahogony/Poplar/Mahogony)
22 x 14 (1969 Maple/Poplar/Maple)

They all have the requisite mystery-edges, but they're surprisingly tune-able and sound absolutely gargantuan. They really like being hit... does that even make sense? They exude extreme amounts of testosterone, which is exactly why the bass drum is muffled with those useless shirt sleeves.

Pictured here with a Tama Starphonic Steel (one of the original 200), K Custom Dark Ride 20", 14" K Hats and an 18" Signature Fast Crash. I'll get around to posting my entire collection eventually.

up_top.jpg

close.jpg

low_angle.jpg

front.jpg

Last edited:
NIIIIIIIIIIIICE! Way cool! I have a 12/14/20 and a 12/13/16/22 set, both in silver sparkle. They're the best!

This sparkle still looks WAY better than the new "Glass Glitter" finishes IMO..

Actually, side-by-side, the broken glass glitters are SO much more vibrant and complex than the sparkle finishes, but the sparkles still look great, especially under the stage lights. If Ludwig would have done the broken glass instead of the sparkle finishes, they would be perfect-er!

NIIIIIIIIIIIICE! Way cool! I have a 12/14/20 and a 12/13/16/22 set, both in silver sparkle. They're the best!
Thanks man! Haha yep, I've drooled over your gear thread several times!

Actually, side-by-side, the broken glass glitters are SO much more vibrant and complex than the sparkle finishes, but the sparkles still look great, especially under the stage lights. If Ludwig would have done the broken glass instead of the sparkle finishes, they would be perfect-er!

Agreed, honestly. I love the nice vintage look of these drums, but those glass glitters are eye popping! (almost said pooping... happy saturday!)

Caddy.. I disagree. The glass glitter plastic.. ESPECIALLY the Dw stuff.. looks CHEAP to me..

Thanks man! Haha yep, I've drooled over your gear thread several times!

Oh man...if only you knew! My Downbeat is SOOOOOOO sweet!

Caddy.. I disagree. The glass glitter plastic.. ESPECIALLY the Dw stuff.. looks CHEAP to me..

The sparkle wraps have a sheen to them that forms a horizontal sparkle, while the glass glitters are more irregular, like little random starlight sparkles dotting the drum. I'm more entranced by the glitter due to the non-uniformity of it. I dunno. Everyone has their preferences. :)

I do prefer the silver sparkle over other color sparkles, because there is more of a prism effect. Silver sparkle reflects red and blue stage lights in a way that red sparkle and blue sparkle don't...

while the glass glitters are more irregular, like little random starlight sparkles dotting the drum. I'm more entranced by the glitter due to the non-uniformity of it. ..

Yes.. you are right about the more "irregular" and/or random sparkles.. and I DO notice that.. The thing is.. there are ALOT more of the "flakes" that are NOT glimmering at any given moment.. , so one can usually make out more dull flakes at that time and the outer plastic clear coating is more apparent.. so that part of it is what I have never liked.

Go look at all those kits on Repercussions site.. No comparison IMO.

Yes.. you are right about the more "irregular" and/or random sparkles.. and I DO notice that.. The thing is.. there are ALOT more of the "flakes" that are NOT glimmering at any given moment.. , so one can usually make out more dull flakes at that time and the outer plastic clear coating is more apparent.. so that part of it is what I have never liked.

Go look at all those kits on Repercussions site.. No comparison IMO.

Under stage lights it's a WAY different story! Not that I'm trying to change anybody's mind or anything...

Believe me Caddy, I know! I'd love to find a Downbeat though. Has anyone played the reissued Club Date drums? That Olive Sparkle is gorgeous! I'd dump my Catalina off in a heartbeat for one of those if the sound was right. The price certainly is.

Oh yeah uniin, the RIMS mount on the rack tom is imperative for stability AND tone. I only use the rail/tom arm to hold my cowbell. Playing vintage gear makes you appreciate how far hardware has come!

Because it sounds great, and I sold my Acrolite. I'm actually thinking about getting a Supra here soon.

Back