Yamaha Drums

Re: THE YAMAHA DRUMS THREAD

Has anyone seen a kit with that finish in person?

black sparkle.jpg

Yes I have, at the guitar center, in Rockville, MD. Its very very nice though I preferred the embossed silver..

Have you checked out this one?

MapleCustAbsolute.gif

Yamaha all the way!

You can check out my Birch absolutes here: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30558

However, I do have problems with my Brass Nouveau snare dealing with the lugs. All the tension rods on the resonant side of the drum have cracked through the bottoms of the lugs because of the head being too tight. Come on, if I want the head to be tight I shouldn't be having that problem. Also, the piece which the tension rods screw into...two of them on my batter head, the hex screw permanently attached at the bottom, snapped off. Other than that though the snare sounds phenomenal.

As for the sub-kick. Well....it KICKS. I have done a couple of shows with a certain sound engineer and system (HUGE system by the way). One show he had my kick mic'd up with a 52 and a sub-kick. Result: deep, full sound that totally punches. The next show he forgot the sub-kick and just had the 52 and there was a definite lack in low end. But the next show, you guessed it, he had both the 52 and sub-kick and the kick destroyed...

Yamaha all the way!

You can check out my Birch absolutes here: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30558

However, I do have problems with my Brass Nouveau snare dealing with the lugs. All the tension rods on the resonant side of the drum have cracked through the bottoms of the lugs because of the head being too tight. Come on, if I want the head to be tight I shouldn't be having that problem. Also, the piece which the tension rods screw into...two of them on my batter head, the hex screw permanently attached at the bottom, snapped off. Other than that though the snare sounds phenomenal.

As for the sub-kick. Well....it KICKS. I have done a couple of shows with a certain sound engineer and system (HUGE system by the way). One show he had my kick mic'd up with a 52 and a sub-kick. Result: deep, full sound that totally punches. The next show he forgot the sub-kick and just had the 52 and there was a definite lack in low end. But the next show, you guessed it, he had both the 52 and sub-kick and the kick destroyed...

Yeah, the nouveau lugs on the snares seems to be a recurring theme on this thread.

So, how good is that Birch Kick of yours? Have you tried maple? I play maples, which I'm totally satisfied with but some of my buddies tell me that the birch kick is something else.

btw, I like your back-up gretsch too ; )

As you guys were speaking of wood essence, I was thinking that it would really cool if Yamaha started making Bubinga kits. I have fell in love with the sound of that wood and think it would be awesome if Yamaha used it for a line of kits.

That would be cool if that Gretsch were mine as it was the headliner's kit. I think I upstaged him there ;) .

I love the birch kick. My band is laying down our next album at the moment (first time recording with this kit) and at the moment I have the resonant with medium tension, the batter (EQ4) at just barely tighter than finger tension, and a blanket coming right up to the bottom of the mic hole (you can see in the pictures).

It sounds great so far on the tracks we have put down, but I do want to experiment with a tighter batter tension for a punchier sound.

That would be cool if that Gretsch were mine as it was the headliner's kit. I think I upstaged him there ;) .

I love the birch kick. My band is laying down our next album at the moment (first time recording with this kit) and at the moment I have the resonant with medium tension, the batter (EQ4) at just barely tighter than finger tension, and a blanket coming right up to the bottom of the mic hole (you can see in the pictures).

It sounds great so far on the tracks we have put down, but I do want to experiment with a tighter batter tension for a punchier sound.

Keep us posted on the recordings. Would love to know what finally worked for you in the studio.( Tuning, heads, muffling, mikes etc. ).

I laid down some tracks last month with my TAMA imperialstars. Had a real old school engineer, who muffled the living daylights out of the kit. Wasnt thrilled with the results, but they were better than I expected.

He cant wait to get his hands on my maples and promises to keep his duct-tape away.....

Dan RC 1.jpg Dan RC 2.jpg

This is my contribution to the Yammie thread...

10,12,13,14,16 toms.., 24 kick.., and two snares.. A customized Dave Weckl signature snare for the main and a 12 DW maple collectors side-snare.

(I'm looking for an 8"tom btw....)

These drums, (as always), rock.. I love the RC's.. although a 24" kick is a bit big these days. Some places I play it sounds off, the stage/room is not good for it, but most places it sounds absolutely beautiful and deep.

Last edited:

Here's my contribution--Maple Custom Absolutes, Paiste Signature Crashes, Dark Crisp HiHats, 2002 24 ' ride, DW Craviotto Snare, Evans EC2 heads, DW 9000 pedals. Just a beautiful kit, my dream set up.

Great thread.

Attachments

• 100_2476 rev2.jpg
    100_2476 rev2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 6,355
  • 100_2471 rev1.jpg
    100_2471 rev1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 6,385

Just curious, Did Vinnie Colauita play a YRC before he signed up with GRETSCH? Anybody know?

Vinnie did play Yamaha for a time . I used to have one of his Yamaha Signature snare drums .

Danander11, that's the first time I see a Yamaha virgin kick drum. May I ask if you got it like that or did you "virginize" the kick yourself?

Danander11, that's the first time I see a Yamaha virgin kick drum. May I ask if you got it like that or did you "virginize" the kick yourself?

Good eye...

I prefer virgin kicks, so I found a custom furniture maker here that is very good with his wood and finishes, and had him make a thin wooden "plate" to cover the opening. He used a piece of mahogany that had a very similar grain and stained and laquered to match the kit. I used the original tom mount retaining screws to hold it into place. I can later re-attach the tom mount if I wish.

I really need to get some good pics of this kit. I took those two in my rehearsal room/sons playroom.. Handprints are everywhere LOL (and you can see the drumsticks scattered about).

Danander11, thanks for answering. When you do those pics, could you please take a nice one of that wooden plate so we can see what that looks like? Seems interesting what you did there.

Wood Plate.jpg

Danander11, thanks for answering. When you do those pics, could you please take a nice one of that wooden plate so we can see what that looks like? Seems interesting what you did there.

Here is one I just took of the plate. Under the harsh light of the camera flash, you can see a difference in the woods if you are on top of it as in this photo... However, from the "seat" or anywhere else not directly over it, mostly it cannot even be seen. (which is more than I can say for the "stick-dust" all over in this pic).

I was supposed to return it to the guy that made it to have the laquer finished on it to match the shell exactly, but I never went back with it.. I over tightened one of the screws when installing it and cracked the edge of the plate, (look at the top left and maybe you can make it out). I figured it was good enough and if it bothered me that much, I would have the hole(s) filled with a glued-in dowel rod and the entire shell re-finished.. After having in on there for almost 6 months, I never even notice it any longer, and no one else has ever commented on it so I suppose it doesn't look too badly.

The plate the guy made was sanded to match the radius of the shell.. it took a little while, but it sits on there like it was made to, (which, I guess it was... LOL).

I am of a mind to order a 22" kick for the smaller churches that I play at.. but so far haven't. If I do, I understand that I can order it virgin.

Cheers!

Oak customs looks really nice.... I'm thinking of buyin one of those myself..

From what i've seen on the internet, they're not as expensive as the Nouveau or the maple custom.. but they look like profesional drumsets...

I wish i could play and listen to good drum kits so i can decide which one to buy, unfortunately i can't because here the stores only get them after you have already bought them.
I would appreciate if you answered these questions

Is it a Pro or Semi Pro drum set..?
what are the qualitiesof the sound of an oak kit...?
any other comments/suggestions.. i dunno, drum styles, colors, etc

Last edited:

Oak customs looks really nice.... I'm thinking of buyin one of those myself..

From what i've seen on the internet, they're not as expensive as the Nouveau or the maple custom.. but they look like profesional drumsets...

I wish i could play and listen to good drum kits so i can decide which one to buy, unfortunately i can't because here the stores only get them after you have already bought them.
I would appreciate if you answered these questions

Is it a Pro or Semi Pro drum set..?
what are the qualitiesof the sound of an oak kit...?
any other comments/suggestions.. i dunno, drum styles, colors, etc

Here's Keith Carlocks take on the OAK CUSTOMS....

you can hear him with Sting & Steely Dan

Carlock has been playing a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit and recently got a set of Oak Customs as well. “I fell in love with them—I’m using them for the Steely Dan tour,” he says. “The oak is a harder wood than maple, and there’s so much more sound coming out. They have a nice warm tone like the maples, but with more power, projection, and bite. They really carry in louder live situations. You don’t feel like you have to bash your brains out just to hear it coming back.”

Carlock has been playing a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit and recently got a set of Oak Customs as well. I fell in love with them—I’m using them for the Steely Dan tour,” he says. “The oak is a harder wood than maple, and there’s so much more sound coming out. They have a nice warm tone like the maples, but with more power, projection, and bite. They really carry in louder live situations. You don’t feel like you have to bash your brains out just to hear it coming back.

FWIW.. I caught Steely Dan (Keith Carlock) about three weeks ago and he smoked! The drums looked great and his playing was impressive.. Knowing that the drum sounds were processed, it's a bit biased to say they sounded great, it's to be expected.. but it was really good. He reminds me of Krupa.. it's hard to see how anyone can be that smooth whilst playing so stiffly..

FWIW.. I caught Steely Dan (Keith Carlock) about three weeks ago and he smoked! The drums looked great and his playing was impressive.. Knowing that the drum sounds were processed, it's a bit biased to say they sounded great, it's to be expected.. but it was really good. He reminds me of Krupa.. it's hard to see how anyone can be that smooth whilst playing so stiffly..

lol, great observation! I saw in in NYC this past summer, and he was flawless! I mean flawless. Not a note out of place, nothing over or underdone,extremely musical, extremely funky... I could go on, BUT yes, he looked pretty spastic!

Carlock has been playing a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit and recently got a set of Oak Customs as well. I fell in love with them—I’m using them for the Steely Dan tour,” he says. “The oak is a harder wood than maple, and there’s so much more sound coming out. They have a nice warm tone like the maples, but with more power, projection, and bite. They really carry in louder live situations. You don’t feel like you have to bash your brains out just to hear it coming back.

thanks for the help man..
i think i'm gonna go for the oak customs

Hi there!
Has anyone already tried the Wolfgang Haffner signature snare drum 13x6"?
Just know that it is made from maple and the inner ply oak and from what I`ve heard (just some recordings of Wolfgang) it sounds like a nice snare drum.

I`d have had the chance on the "Musikproduktiv" music fair last year but I was in a hurry.

Oh, and another thing which is maybe interesting and new: In the TV documentation about him he said that his sig. snare drum is red laquered with black rims because he is fan of the German soccer team "1. FC Nürnberg"...the team colours of this team are red and black. Here is a pic of it btw: http://www.yamaha-europe.com/pictur...ums_snares/signature/MSD1360WHRA_high_jpg.jpg
Hehe, and his Meinl signature Flat Ride is called "Club" flat ride because of the soccer club "Nürnberg"...what a great guy. =)

Karl

Back