Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Drizzle,
I don't really have practice routines - these days I just improvise until I stumble across something interesting - then I try to develop it and record it somehow.

Years ago I used to practice 6 hours a day - 3 hours in the morning and then 3 in the afternoon. Mostly I would record myself and analyze what I thought sounded weak and then try and work on it.

Hi Gibbersticks,
My new SQ2 kit showed up. Wow what a beauty - these pics REALLY don't do it justice. It's sounds GREAT too.

gavin20.jpg

gavin22.jpg

gavin21.jpg

Cheers
Gavin

Attachments

• New Sonor 2 small.jpg
    New Sonor 2 small.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 4,618
  • New Sonor 4 small.jpg
    New Sonor 4 small.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 2,678
  • New Sonor1 small.jpg
    New Sonor1 small.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 2,902
Last edited by a moderator:
It was so great to meet Gavin in Frankfurt.

I made some videos of his great playing - give me some time for editing...

Here some pics:

gavin1.jpg

gavin2.jpg

gavin5.jpg

gavin7.jpg

gavin8.jpg

gavin9.jpg

gavin10.jpg

gavin11.jpg

gavin4.jpg

gavin6.jpg

Bernhard

Hey Gavin,

That's a beautiful kit. What's the turn around time on an SQ2 kit?

Anyway, my band Abigail's Ghost recently released our first full length album and I would like to send you a copy. I'm not expecting anything out of it, I just wanted you to have a copy because you've been such an inspiration for my song writing.

Thanks,
KW

...2-3 months for you maybe!!!

Here comes the inevitable request - S P E C S O F Y O U R N E W K I T please!

Tribal finish I believe. Please include shell details, heads, muffling e.t.c.

Interesting to note no evidence of 'Tunesafe' option?

What the kit in Bernhard's pics? Badges aren't SQ2?

Cheers Gavmeister!

Yes the drums that I played at the Frankfurt Music show were DeLights. (Thanks to Bernhard for the pictures).

Rhythmic Disciple,
The SQ2 drums have a "tune safe" thing built into the lug.
The sizes I have are

22x17 heavy shell
16x14 floor tom medium shell
15x13 floor tom medium shell
14x12 floor tom medium shell
13x10 tom thin shell
12x9 tom thin shell
10x8 tom thin shell
8x7 tom thin shell

12x5 snare thin shell

all the drums are maple except the 14x5 snare which is birch.

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin!

Would you play your awsome new kit at the upcomming summertour?
I think it would look great in the spotlight!
Whats the reason for changing the series, the designer sound awsome too.
But I think a player with your skills is able to make a Force 1007 sound like an SQ2... just kidding.
By the way, do you have a drumtec at the concerts or is the setting up the set business of the master ;-)?

Ciao
Robert

Hi Braui,
Yes I'll be playing the new kit on the European dates. I love the sound of the DeLight and Designer so there's been no conscious effort to change. I just like them both. In fact in America I'll be playing my blue DeLight set. Yes luckily I do have a drumtech - Adrian Holmes - but he's been so good as our merch man and we want him to just concentrate on that - so the next tour I'll have a new tech - Jason Birnie.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,
congratulations on the new set, looking forward to seeing it on 22nd June.
As you've played in Italy so much, have you ever heard of Drum Sound drums?
Do you remember what the first set was you ever owned?
Thanks,
Ty

Hi Gavin,
From what I could find out Ajax sets were very high quality,
Boosey & Hawkes also produced the English-made Rogers sets apparently.
Yes I play a Drum Sound Equalized Series, not many people have heard of
them, but there sets sound really good.

Hi Gavin.

I'm going to be building my own studio in the near future and was wondering if there was any tips you could give me since you've been through something similar? It's being built from the ground up and I'm having a building built beside my house to be used... Is there anything I should consider when having it designed, such as windows, etc to create a nice working environment? Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Cheers.

Monty.

Hi DrumSound,
I actually have an early 60's English Rogers set. Very funky it is too.

Hi MCS,
well I didn't actually build a studio from the ground up. Are you doing it yourself or do you a studio company building it? Windows are nice but are also a potential sound leak area. Depends how soundproof it needs to be. Getting a nice inside is difficult if it's a dead straight box.
It's a very tough question - there's a million factors and most of them come down to budget.
There's lots of soundproofing and acoustic treatment advice on the internet - you just need the time to research it.

good luck
Gavin

Hi Gavin.

I'm going to get a builder to build the outer structure and then I'll probably do the interior myself, save myself a few pennies!! I'll get trawiling on the internet and see what I can turn up.. Thanks for taking time to answer..

Cheers.

Monty.

Hey Gavin-

Just wanted to let you know our Cincinati Enquirer paper here in Cincinnati, Ohio is doing an article on me and I had mentioned you, PT and your new video Rhythmic Horizons as a big influence and inspiration to my playing. Hope you don't mind me mentioning that in the interview.

Thanks again for the influence and aspiration.

-Rob

Hi Gavin!

Great looking (and probably sounding) new kit!
I'm really looking forward to see you, and the rest of Porcupine Tree live in Oslo in July!
Last time you were in Norway, I was'nt aware that you were playing the Quart festival, so I missed it :(

Me and my band have a studio, and we are wondering about buying an Audix d6 for the bass drum. How is the Audix compared to the akg d112 that we have already? (That is of course if you are familiar with the d112)

Thanks for taking your time answering our questions!!

And BTW, the preview for the new PT album sounds AMAZING!!
and PS. Musikmesse videos are insane!! I caught myself laughing of pure joy at times!! xD

Last edited:
Back