Hi Hat Foot Beats on 2 & 4

I've always found accenting 2 + 4 with your left foot whilst playing rock/pop gives your playing a really nice feel and a natural swing without having to try at all.

13" K/Zs are the perfect hats to get that chick.

Quarters or Eigths are good if you're driving a beat a little more. Phil Collins was good at this

Closing the Hi-Hats on 2 and 4 is pretty standard, but it's fun to use the hats to comp. If i'm playing an instrumental jazz ballad, sometimes I'll usually use the hats to accent certain parts of the song, or what I'm doing with my brushes. So really the hats could splash or close anywhere in the measure. I might use them 2-4 times in a measure, and then leave them out of a few measures...

If I'm playing behind a vocalist though, I find that it helps to really spell out the beat by using the hi-hats on 2 and 4.

I've played hi hat on 1 and 3 (heel/toe) all my life, and I've only recently found out 2/4 (toe/toe) is just as common, if not more common. This is quite mind blowing...
Is it 2/4 more common for rock/funk/pop? I only recently re-started playing, and I don't remember having heard this very often...

Back