Thick shell Bronze options

Astropath

I have been playing since the 60's but when Ed Sullivan passed me by I gave up on playing as a professional. I just play for fun and I like to collect snares. I have been doing a fair amount of research into bronze snares and find that the thick shelled (3mm+) ones like the Tama Bell Brass (Bronze not Brass), C&N Zildjian limited editions, older Sonor 8 X 14 Signature series, Paiste Spirit of 2002 (Ocheltree), and Ocheltree have garnered excellent reputations. I see the Sonor Artist series Bronze, which is now available, is also a thick shelled heavy snare which might fit into the above category. Not interested in thin shelled Bronze snares, not that they are not great snares but because I am just interested in a thick walled heavy one. Any thoughts or suggestions?

best,

JimP

The ones you mentioned are just what you'd expect. All of them are pricey. Its not an easy process. If you plan on more than one, I hope you have deep pockets..

Good luck and as always... post pics!!

Check "My Dirty Little" for pics of my cast bronze stuff...

Thanks very much! Your drums look great. Yes, for some reason Bronze drums seem to be Far more expensive than the same drum in brass. Just look at the Sonor Artist Series Bronze vs Brass. I cannot figure out why but it's true. The Bronze is Twice the price of the Brass. I do intend to collect several of these as I am able.

best,

Jim

Just look at the Sonor Artist Series Bronze vs Brass. I cannot figure out why but it's true. The Bronze is Twice the price of the Brass. I do intend to collect several of these as I am able.

best,

Jim

Jim, the Bronze is twice the price because it is a Cast shell, and the brass is a typical welded, thin shell. If you have the money to blow, then that Sonor is awesome, however if you like that cast shell sound and don't have too much money to spend.. I would look at the Pearl Cast aluminum models.......... They are just as nice as anything out there.

Jim, the Bronze is twice the price because it is a Cast shell, and the brass is a typical welded, thin shell. If you have the money to blow, then that Sonor is awesome, however if you like that cast shell sound and don't have too much money to spend.. I would look at the Pearl Cast aluminum models.......... They are just as nice as anything out there.

Ok, Thanks Artstar!I just ordered a Sonor Artist Series Bronze. I Am interested in other cast Bronze snares that you might recommend that are easily available. I only wish my abilities could match the quality of my drum collection but I will have to be satisfied with the knowledge that that's Not about to happen!!

best,

Jim

Ok, Thanks Artstar!I just ordered a Sonor Artist Series Bronze. I Am interested in other cast Bronze snares that you might recommend that are easily available. I only wish my abilities could match the quality of my drum collection but I will have to be satisfied with the knowledge that that's Not about to happen!!

best,

Jim

If you ordered one of those... .. you don't need much else if you like that sound. I have not come across any other cast that are better than that. Tama was the original with the cast , then Sonor. They started those WAY back. Everybody else copied.

If you ordered one of those... .. you don't need much else if you like that sound. I have not come across any other cast that are better than that. Tama was the original with the cast , then Sonor. They started those WAY back. Everybody else copied.

I agree but as I collect as well... :^)

Jim

I've got a 13x5.5 DW bronze snare. It is a thick shell like the other ones you've mentioned. Mine is about 6-7 years old, but I understand the brand new ones are also heavy. One of the few on the market you can get for under a grand.

I agree with you! I have the Joyful Noise Beacon Bronze, TKO (Brass) and Studio Copper, all 6.5 X 14. I Love 'em!!

best,

Jim

Wow! Those are some nice snare drums you have there! I'll be getting a legacy maple 6.5x14 any day now. I'd like to get a brass one too, maybe next year. I heard the maple on a video and it was awesome.

Wow! Those are some nice snare drums you have there! I'll be getting a legacy maple 6.5x14 any day now. I'd like to get a brass one too, maybe next year. I heard the maple on a video and it was awesome.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the JN Legacy after you have had some time to examine and play it!! I'll bet you're going to be Very Happy!

best,

Jim

All things being equal, sonically, how would a thicker metal shell differ from a thinner metal shell?

All things being equal, sonically, how would a thicker metal shell differ from a thinner metal shell?

More of a solid "Ping" or "Crack" IMO. Tuned well, they cut more than anything else and the better ones you get some good resonance from.

My understanding is that the thicker shell resonates less and there is more sound coming from the head. That may seem bad but many of us love that sound!

My understanding is that the thicker shell resonates less and there is more sound coming from the head. That may seem bad but many of us love that sound!

Here is what Curt Waltrip of Joyful Noise said:

"The difference between a cast and spun shell is that the spun shell is more alive and resonant. You'll hear the shell and head in concert, whereas the cast shell will be more of the head than the shell. The physics are that the mass of the cast material do not allow for more of a sonic footprint, so they are very focused as opposed to open."

Back