David Letterman Drum Solo Week II

Im not entirely sure we get CBS in the UK? im sure it would still be able to be watched somewhere on the net maybe?

I'll be waiting for the solos to appear on youtube!

Yes, I apologize to all the international viewers who might have gotten stopped at the door, so I'll copy/paste:

"08.15.2011
THE RHYTHM SECTION GETS AN ENCORE AS CBS's "LATE SHOW with DAVID LETTERMAN" PRESENTS "DRUM SOLO WEEK II," THE WEEK OF AUG. 22
Stewart Copeland, Tony Royster Jr., Gavin Harrison And Dennis Chambers to Showcase Unique Drum Solos on the Broadcast

The beat goes on as the LATE SHOW with DAVID LETTERMAN gives drummers their due during "Drum Solo Week II," featuring some of the best drummers in music, Monday, Aug. 22-Thursday, Aug. 25 (11:35 PM-12:37 AM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

On Monday, Aug. 22, 26-year-old drumming prodigy Tony Royster Jr., who began playing at the age of 3, performed on the GRAMMY® Awards at the age of 15 and has worked with artists such as the LATE SHOW's Paul Shaffer and Jay-Z, will kick things off with his performance. On Tuesday, Aug. 23, progressive drummer Gavin Harrison, who has worked with artists Iggy Pop, Lisa Stansfield and King Crimson, rocks the drum kit. On Wednesday, Aug. 24, Stewart Copeland, best known as drummer for the legendary GRAMMY® Award-winning rock band, the Police, and also an acclaimed composer and solo artist in his own right, takes to the Ed Sullivan Theater stage. And, putting the coda on the week, Thursday, Aug. 25 is a performance by renowned drummer Dennis Chambers, who has worked with artists John Scofield, Maceo Parker, Santana and Parliament/Funkadelic.

The LATE SHOW debuted its popular first "Drum Solo Week," June 6-9, 2011, with renowned drummers such as the LATE SHOW's own Anton Fig, Sheila E., Roy Haynes and Neil Peart performing each night on the broadcast.

awesome. just saw Gavin for drumfantasycamp.com in Ohio last weekend & he knocked me out, especially playing on Stern's 'Chromazone'.

Helz yeah!

There was a thread about the first drum solo week on letterman, and I said, "They should have got Stewart Copland on there".

And I got dogged because "Stewart Copland doesn't play solo's"

Well look who's playing...

I'll take the middle two, Chambers and Royster Jr. do nothing for me.

Copeland should be interesting. His work on Police's debut LP is nothing short of awesome. Credit also to be given for whomever produced that LP as well. Drums were recorded well.

I would love to see Copeland play a money beat for 4 minutes just to show how groovy he can make it.

He just doesn't. I can't explain why - he just doesn't.

Next week is gonna be sick I can't wait. Stuart Copeland and Gavin Harrison are two of my favourite drummers ever and Tony Royster is amazing. It will be awesome to see Dennis Chambers as well, LEGENDS!

This "Drummer week" thing should be a bi-monthly occurrence on the show! lol

But I have a feeling Stewart Copeland isn't going to be playing in the context were expecting, or even on a drum "Kit". It is most likely going to be experimental World Music he is playing.

In other words, no "Reggatta de Blanc" here.

Who knows...

Looking forward to all these drummers. Stewart doesn't necessarily have to do a solo. Roy Haynes played a song last time.

This DSW seems like it will be better than the last! I'm in school right now, so I can't stay up late enough to watch them on CBS. I'll wait for them on Youtube.

Back