To flam or not flam

wormtownpaul

When you hit on the backbeat and hit the snare and some cymbal together, what do you people think of the importance of "flamming" the hit or not flamming it, and trying to hit the notes simultaneously? I was brought up a rudimental drumming, and "flamming" comes more naturally to me, but even with a tight flam, the sound is looser. Sometimes loose is good, and maybe that's the answer: it depends on the context. But I'd like to hear some thoughts

I love flams, too. I work them into everything. But I started noticing some years ago that they were coming a bit too naturally and I was flamming even notes that were meant to be played exactly together. The resulting looseness didn't sound good to me. I had to work at NOT flamming in those situations, and I'm happier with the feel now. But YMMV.

Actually I dont flams when hitting drum & cymbal together but I flams my strokes when hitting strong back beat or accent on the snare and use flams for the Tony Williams Blushda...

Actually I dont flams when hitting drum & cymbal together but I flams my strokes when hitting strong back beat or accent on the snare and use flams for the Tony Williams Blushda...

This. When I'm hitting the snare and crash together (for example), I'll never flam, but I often use flams for snare/tom accents.

it's pretty unusual to flam across instruments, like between a snare and a crash. but in music, anything goes, so if you want to try that go right ahead.

Mmm.. For me, between cymbals and drums, no thanks.

But between different drums, say for example, a floor tom and snare, or bass drum + toms or stuff like that.. yeah, I like it. :)

Cheers.

Reading this got me thinking on whether I do that or not. Thinking back on it made me realize that I don't do it on the crash or hats with the snare, but I have been know to do it with the bell of the ride on occasion. It's always on purpose however, and normally when I'm in a really loose groove, playing Jazz-like or maybe some funk.

I dont agree with flamming between say snare and cymbals on accents. if you're trying to accent, hitting two objects at the same time will make more noise than not...

but If I'm playing say Latin, Jazz and some funk....I don't see anything wrong with dropping a few flam drags, or flam double parradiddles in there in the odd fill....

I'd encourage people to learn all flam rudiements though....they're a good chop builder.......personally I blame 15 years of drum corps for turning me into a flam monster....

just my opinion.......

flams are fantastic anywhere when intentional.......its the unintentional flams that dont fly for me.....

there is a workout call Flamnambulous....look it up and learn it.....trust me

your hands will thank you

I'd encourage people to learn all flam rudiements though....they're a good chop builder.......personally I blame 15 years of drum corps for turning me into a flam monster....

just my opinion.......

Absolutely.

I've discovered through the several exercises given me by my teacher that the flam tap is the single greatest rudiment for me. It works my accents for the Moeller exercises as well as speed and finger control. Focusing on the flam tap for extended periods of time has helped me over the hump on many other rudiments and exercises.

Back