Recommend me a kit! (criteria)

gusty

Platinum Member
Must be versatile, suited from jazz to rock
5 piece preferrable
Something that I'm not going to be unhappy with in a few years
Good enough for pro gigging/recording. Not talking world touring pros.
No virgin bass drums, and floor toms must have legs!
Probably thinking 20" bass

I might come up with some other stuff later. I've been looking at the sonor bop and safari, mapex saturn jazz and meridian maple manhatten.

Look at a Sonor Force or S-Classix. Another option would be a second-hand Premier 'Artist' set. Those are great drums too.

It's tough to recommend a kit without any price points but I would certainly second the sonor select force or s-classix. If you can provide some more details (i.e. price, brands you do/don't like, etc) I could offer some other opinions.

Good luck!

Talking AUD, probably about $1800-$2000 max. I've been looking on ebay, and though shipping is expensive, getting a kit from the states is an option. Went into my local store today, there was a Catalina Maple with a 20" bass drum for $1700 - they have a 24 month interest free deal on at the moment, so may be worth looking into. Based on ebay prices, the S-Classix are too expensive.

I suppose I'm inclined to Gretsch, Mapex and Sonor, but not too fussed with brands.

I have owned and played just about all the major brands out there. I have had my SONOR S-Classix kit for a little over 6 years now and will never go back to another kit. Great sound, exceptionally easy to tune (I use all Aquarian heads) and sounds fantastic both live and recorded. A little on the pricy side but well worth it in my opinion. I also have a 14" X 14" floor tom not shown in this pic, and the snare shown is also a Pork Pie but the snare that came with the shell pack also sounds very good. I paid a little over 3 grand for the 5 piece shell pack when I bought it. I am very bias about SONOR now so you don't need to take my word for it, but I don't think you would be disappointed on any of the SONOR kits. Good Luck and good shopping...

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 457
Also had a look at a Gretsch Renown, for about 3500 dollars...had the 24 month interest free deal, but also had a 22 virgin bass drum.

Gusty, just curious, why would you completely rule out a virgin bass drum? Looks? Less hardware? Personally, I find bass drum mounted toms a real pain. I'm just over 6' tall, & I can never get the toms far enough away in relation to the bass drum position. That, & with a thin shell, sonic downsides too.

Gusty, just curious, why would you completely rule out a virgin bass drum? Looks? Less hardware? Personally, I find bass drum mounted toms a real pain. I'm just over 6' tall, & I can never get the toms far enough away in relation to the bass drum position. That, & with a thin shell, sonic downsides too.

I guess I just prefer setting up and positioning with mounted toms, which is annoying since most of the high end kits seem to only come with virgin bass drums haha. As well as less hardware, always having to have a cymbal stand there (been playing with hats and ride only lately) and looks. Oh, and the slight tom shaking every time its hit.

But I don't know whether I dislike virgin bass drums enough to base a purchase decision off it.

Glad you remembered to bring this up, I was also curious as to why. I will never go back to bass mounted toms due to the exact same problem, personal preference I guess.

If you are looking into Gretsch kits, a buddy of mine and the former drummer for the world famous "The Nighthawks" band Pete Ragusa just got a Catalina kit which he loves. I have also heard some of the recodings on this kit and it does sound very good. There are different models of the Catalina and I am not sure exactly which one he purchased, I can easily find out if you are interested.

Glad you remembered to bring this up, I was also curious as to why. I will never go back to bass mounted toms due to the exact same problem, personal preference I guess.

If you are looking into Gretsch kits, a buddy of mine and the former drummer for the world famous "The Nighthawks" band Pete Ragusa just got a Catalina kit which he loves. I have also heard some of the recodings on this kit and it does sound very good. There are different models of the Catalina and I am not sure exactly which one he purchased, I can easily find out if you are interested.

Yeah that would be great, and I'd love to hear the recordings of his Catalina.

Yeah that would be great, and I'd love to hear the recordings of his Catalina.

I will get in touch with him and get back with you. Are you on Facebook, I think I have a few videos with him playing this new kit. I know he also has a website that I have not even checked out yet, he may actually have some recent videos on it with the new Gretsch. Just google Pete Ragusa and you should find his website...

Once you go virgin, you never go back. :) Oh and don't forget to try a Saturn if you get the chance. That would be my choice. Surprise, surprise. :)

Based on your OP, I'd seriously consider a Mapex Saturn kit.

Save your money and go for a top of the line used kit the mid-line gear you mentioned doesn't compare to any of the top rated kits. Theres a reason for price differences and if you could put a bop safari or jazz saturn next to a Recording Custom set the obvious would be obvious hahahaha!!! Take some time for more researching and continue to save some more dollars. Buy one to keep, once you buy those mid line kits you'll never regain any money they continue to loose value every six months. Doc

Save your money and go for a top of the line used kit the mid-line gear you mentioned doesn't compare to any of the top rated kits. Theres a reason for price differences and if you could put a bop safari or jazz saturn next to a Recording Custom set the obvious would be obvious hahahaha!!! Take some time for more researching and continue to save some more dollars. Buy one to keep, once you buy those mid line kits you'll never regain any money they continue to loose value every six months. Doc
Better do more homework there doc. The difference in price is because of the different culture in a different country The Saturn is not considered a mid-line kit anymore. I think I should know. :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't hesitate to put a vote in for high-end Mapex (Saturns), mid level Sonor (Select Force Maple), or Gretsch (Renown)....any of the above are built well and sound amazing. It would be great if you could hear them side by side and see which is closest to the sound you want. I've played all and they are all great but definitely have tonal differences.

Good Luck!

I wouldn't hesitate to put a vote in for high-end Mapex (Saturns), mid level Sonor (Select Force Maple), or Gretsch (Renown)....any of the above are built well and sound amazing. It would be great if you could hear them side by side and see which is closest to the sound you want. I've played all and they are all great but definitely have tonal differences.

Good Luck!
Well said..............

Last edited:
Maybe virgin bass drums arent such a big deal, if it meant a better sound. Still dont know about the 22/20 inch bass though, anyone have much experience playing with 20s in different styles/bands/venues?

Back