New Zildjian K's

daredrummer

Gold Member
Got my 2 new Zildjian K's! Went to the drum shop and all the K's/K Customs stood out more than any other cymbals.
Got great deals on them both. Got the 20" Ride for $210 (normally $325) brand new, with warranty off ebay, AND free shipping. Talk about a deal! I know it's risky buying online, but it sounded even better than the one I heard in the store!

Got the 18" crash ride at the drum shop. They are unfortunately going out of business, and had a 25% off sale. I listened to all the remaining crashes they had left, and this one spoke the best. Despite it's medium weight, I found it opened up easier than even the thin Zildjian K's. There were some nice sabian's too, but they didn't have nearly as nice of bell or ride as this one.
All the 18" Zildjian K's actually have really good bells and rides, but I got this for the crash.
Like I said, it opens up real easy, but because of it's medium weight, it's still got a lots of presence and tone, and in no way sound papery or airy sounding.

I found that the stick makes a lot of difference on the K ride, more so than I've found with other rides. A barrel tip surprisingly gives a lot of articulation, and a bit of ping and dryness. I'll use a small oval or acorn tip to open it up and get some nice wash.
The crash on it is a better heavier than I hoped, but still works nice, and will probably sound better recorded.

But enough of me talking! Here are the pics!

DSCN0324.jpg

DSCN0325.jpg

DSCN0327.jpg

DSCN0326.jpg

DSCN0333.jpg

DSCN0338.jpg

DSCN0339.jpg

DSCN0332.jpg

No sound clips yet, but will get some for sure when I get my Zoom Q3HD.

Congrats on the K's. After many, many years I've finally been putting together a set too. Will be recording them on a single today with my old band.

I found that the stick makes a lot of difference on the K ride, more so than I've found with other rides. A barrel tip surprisingly gives a lot of articulation, and a bit of ping and dryness. I'll use a small oval or acorn tip to open it up and get some nice wash.
The crash on it is a better heavier than I hoped, but still works nice, and will probably sound better recorded.

I own that exact same cymbal, 20" K Ride. Got it for about 5 or 6 months now, and it wasn't until recently that I was able to record it with a band.
WOW, what a difference. It's nice to listen to behind the kit, yeah, but on a record it really shines. I also find that light 7A's with round tips take the best out of it, while heavier 5B's tend to make it "muddier" (albeit making crashing easier).

It's a great ride. I didn't find it awesome for loud rock though.. it's really not a "loud" cymbal at all.. but for that purpose I bought a 21" A Rock Ride, so I have quite a range of sounds covered that way.

Anyway, congrats on that purchase, enjoy that cymbal, treat it right (don't bash the living hell out of it) and it will give you many years of joy.

Cheers!

I own that exact same cymbal, 20" K Ride. Got it for about 5 or 6 months now, and it wasn't until recently that I was able to record it with a band.
WOW, what a difference. It's nice to listen to behind the kit, yeah, but on a record it really shines. I also find that light 7A's with round tips take the best out of it, while heavier 5B's tend to make it "muddier" (albeit making crashing easier).

It's a great ride. I didn't find it awesome for loud rock though.. it's really not a "loud" cymbal at all.. but for that purpose I bought a 21" A Rock Ride, so I have quite a range of sounds covered that way.

Anyway, congrats on that purchase, enjoy that cymbal, treat it right (don't bash the living hell out of it) and it will give you many years of joy.

Cheers!

I think the one I have may be more suited towards rock. It's actually fairly loud compared to the other ones I've heard. But it' still great for lighter styles too.

I'll try the suggestion of 7A's, thanks!

Congrats on the K's. After many, many years I've finally been putting together a set too. Will be recording them on a single today with my old band.

Nice! Which ones do you have?

Back