Dual ride positioning

mike d

Silver Member
I picked up a second 20" ride for a high def ping, and more jazz sound, and I'd like to use both my rides, but I'm not sure how to position them. I'm kind of a right side and low ride guy, so this is gonna have to be an adjustment. Any tips and pics of dual ride setups would be appreciated.

I would just put your second ride a little higher and off to the side of the other one. Just offset them to get the bell on each of them.

Two rides on the right, and you can even keep them at roughly the same height! Of course, this is dependent on your setup; if you're not flying the ride half off the kick then you will probably need to overlap. I didn't as I crash both rides often.

223794_10151213341273695_821559967_n.jpg

I split mine left and right, putting my main ride on the right side of my kit in reference to the drum thrown position. Here's some examples with different vantage points that work great for me.

DSC_0075-1.jpg

DSC_0243-1.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0386-1.jpg

DSC_0278-1.jpg

Dennis

I use two rides but actually even use my two crashes as rides when I lightly comp during a bass solo.

I offset mine to the right as well a little lower than the main ride. It's where I find it most comfortable to play.

Here's a picture of my setup:
View attachment 52281

Last edited by a moderator:
I split mine left and right, putting my main ride on the right side of my kit in reference to the drum thrown position. Here's some examples with different vantage points that work great for me.

Dennis

Dennis, I've always wondered - do you find it strange having rides up that high, or are you just used to it? I tried it once and my arms tired out very quickly; it felt like I wasn't using my energy as efficiently as I could. On the other hand, if you're a taller chap or used to it, I can see it working quite well and perhaps projecting better...

Thanks folks! That gives me some good ideas of things to try. I'll have to play with it a bit to find out what feels best to me. (@dennis - man, I love your collection of kits!)

Dennis, I've always wondered - do you find it strange having rides up that high, or are you just used to it? I tried it once and my arms tired out very quickly; it felt like I wasn't using my energy as efficiently as I could. On the other hand, if you're a taller chap or used to it, I can see it working quite well and perhaps projecting better...

My ride cymbals are the lowest positioned cymbals on my kits, except for maybe 1 or 2 splashes. It feels very natural and the sticks feel great in my hand when playing the cymbals at that angle. If you're not used to it, it might feel strange to you if the ride isn't quite as flat as you are use to it. I have one kit where I use a single ride over the bass drum. This ride is much lower and flatter in relation to my double ride set-ups. Then sometimes I might use a single ride at about the same height as my double ride kits. It all depends on the set-ups and finding the clearance needed to be able to get around he kit without any obstructions. I have a friend that has his ride high in the air with almost a vertical tilt to it, now that does seem a bit odd to me from the drivers seat. He actually has to reach for it.

Here's the kit with the lower semi flat ride position. I actually find it a bit more awkward with a different type of wrist tension than what I experience with the double ride height of the cymbals.

DSC_0360-1.jpg

Here's a single right hand ride at a great height and tilt that's very comfortable for me to play. I can readily adapt to just about any configuration, so it's not too much of a challenge for me to go from one to the other without really thinking about it.

DSC_0429-1.jpg

Dennis

I love playing 2 rides.
I have a very heavy 22" Saluda Earthworks main ride with a 20" Saluda lighter Earthworks ride set off to the side just a touch.

The 20" has a great crash to it & the 22" has basically no crash that's why I have the 22" very low & the 20" a bit higher.

Attachments

• drums.jpg
    drums.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 359
Dennis where is the OH of Ludwigs....:} I was just curious of the make....Thanx for the pics

I thought that my posts on this thread were already a bit heavy with pictures so I didn't originally include it, but since you asked, here it is. ;)

DSC_0552-1.jpg

Dennis

I fly a 20" flat ride above and to the right of my main 20" from the same stand. There is a little overlap, but it makes it easy to play between both rides and ding accents on the bell even when riding the flat. The rides are relatively low in what feels like a natural place for reaching and riding. The flat is about 2" higher than the other.

Back