DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-13-2014, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin is great, I don't think much needs to be added from what has already been said. He is technically talented, creative, and his drums always sound so damn nice.

I love Porcupine Tree SO MUCH and wonder if that will ever get going again, but he's now doing stuff with King Crimson and I am stoked to see how that turns out.

On KC's facebook page it states "farewell tour" in the tour dates link. I surely hope that's not the case, but they start the tour in September.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:40 AM

Hey Gavin!

I was not surprised to know you're not a fan of poor rhythm, I noticed on one of the podcast interviews you recently did they presented you with their rendition of your Kitchen song, and I could just hear you holding back the cringes :) I too have a strong conviction towards proper rhythm, and understood your discomfort all too well.

I was recently at Guitar Center reading through your latest book, which was very well written and kept me giggling just enough to make the guy walking by me uneasy. I loved what you had to say about "What Happens Now" when you referred to the interlude as 3D. It reminded me of a video I had seen a few months back, made by a man named Wolfram Winkel. In it, he plays a different rhythm with each limb up to 8 beats, at one point effectively playing a 8:7:6:5 polyrhythm, otherwise known as a woodpecker's worst nightmare (Here it is: http://youtu.be/A6KAVvLlcqQ). Beyond "What Happens Now" (7:5:3 with the Anesthetize guitar part), have you delved into polyrhythms with more than 2 pulses? I would love to learn how to do this but I have no clue what way I should go about it.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:57 PM

Hi Gavin,

I recently bought your book Rhythmic Composition hoping to play some PT songs as playalongs. It turned out that I should have read the description of the book a bit more seriously. I know that you've been asked many times about playalongs and that it's not possible for you to offer some. But I wanted to know if theres any chance to get some especially now where the book is on sale.

Beyond that I would like to thank you. I really appreciate that you're answering all our questions. Your playing really inspires me and always keeps me motivated to try out some new ideas.

Regards, Nils
Old 08-18-2014, 03:22 PM

Hi Gavin, I have purchased your previous albums as digital FLAC downloads from your website, but have noticed that your latest album "The Man Who Sold Himself" is not available in this format (well, at least not legally). Would this album be released as a FLAC download in the future or would I need to purchase a physical CD or iTunes quality downloads?

If any other forumer has found out where I can purchase the album online legally I would be very grateful if you could let me know where it can be found.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:21 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi BrianBjur

I was recently at Guitar Center reading through your latest book, which was very well written and kept me giggling just enough to make the guy walking by me uneasy. I loved what you had to say about "What Happens Now" when you referred to the interlude as 3D. Beyond "What Happens Now" (7:5:3 with the Anesthetize guitar part), have you delved into polyrhythms with more than 2 pulses? I would love to learn how to do this but I have no clue what way I should go about it.

I have tried many polyrhythmic possibilities in my time - but writing them into something 'musical' is quite another story - and it's difficult to make them sound NOT like a drum exercise. I made a lot of polyrhythmic stuff on the albums I recorded with O5Ric and I think we found good ways to write on top of of those rhythms. More than 2 pulses at the same time can be very confusing to the listener.

Hi Nils

I recently bought your book Rhythmic Composition hoping to play some PT songs as playalongs. It turned out that I should have read the description of the book a bit more seriously. I know that you've been asked many times about playalongs and that it's not possible for you to offer some. But I wanted to know if theres any chance to get some especially now where the book is on sale.

There won't be any playalongs. Getting the correct publishing permissions to remake those songs along with the cost, effort and time of rerecording them would be prohibitive. I don't own the original recordings either.

Hi miah_yap

I have purchased your previous albums as digital FLAC downloads from your website, but have noticed that your latest album "The Man Who Sold Himself" is not available in this format (well, at least not legally). Would this album be released as a FLAC download in the future or would I need to purchase a physical CD or iTunes quality downloads?

I spoke with Burningshed.com and there's no immediate plan to release those records as FLAC -so your best option would be to get the CD.

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-26-2014, 05:22 PM

Dear Gavin!

DAMN you took your time with this! :) I'll write one or two questions about it at the end of this message, but first:

Guys, it's finally here! :)

CymbalShox

Quote from a drumshop's site:

Cymbalshox® by Trick are finally here! We have been anxiously awaiting their release for several years.

Designed and developed in conjunction with drummer Gavin Harrison, Cymbalshox® are manufactured from a space age material designed specifically for attenuating shock. No synthetic rubber or felt can dissipate energy as effectively as Cymbalshox®. Cymbalshox® are a visco-elastic polymer that moves like liquid under load, providing your cymbals with the ultimate in shock absorption while also extending the life of your cymbals.

"Like so many drummers, I have had problems with breaking cymbals in the past (mostly crashes and China type cymbals). While I was playing with Porcupine Tree, I had the CymbalShox installed on my American set and played solidly for five weeks without breaking any cymbals. We then went to Europe and played another five weeks (with the exact same set of cymbals) but I forgot to bring the CymbalShox, so I had to do the tour without them. I broke seven cymbals in two weeks! That convinced me that we were on to something great here. I tested the CymbalShox for two and a half years and feel we finally hit upon the right formula. I really believe CymbalShox will extend the life of your cymbals."
Gavin Harrison -
Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, Gavin Harrison & O5ric (GHO5)

QUESTIONS:

1. If this has viscoelastic properties, it is like a jelly-type stuff, but a bit stronger I presume. How does this product behave under certain weights? Meaning a heavy cymbal or a tiny splash. How does it react if you use them on (under) an angled cymbal? Do you use it on both sides, or just the underside? Also do you(we) need to adjust the tightness? Or is it the same as if it would be cymbal felt? And does the material affect the vibration of the cymbal in any way (Shortens the sustain? Cuts off certain overtones, etc.)

2. Why only one size? I have extremely good results with the Cympad, I use bigger ones on the underside during practice to quiet my big cymbals a bit and also to make their sustain shorter, so in our smaller rehersal room my big cymbals (19"-18" crashes, 20" heavy ride, 20" cina, etc) don't "blanket" the whole space when I hit them. Meaning I can use their sounds and effects on the music, but they don't overshadow the other instruments. Admittedly, on chinas Cympad does not help me to protect them against shock (hits, etc), but the effects mentioned using bigger ones under my larger cymbals is a must have during practice. At least to me. So why only one size? I'd love to have these in different sizes. :/

3. This is mostly an aesthetic thing. Why grey? Black is more uniform, but maybe a bit too visible too. But if I remember correctly, you used a blue stuff before (were those the prototypes of Cymbalshox?)

Sorry for these questions, I'm a bit of a gear-junkie! :)

Cheers,
Matyas

Last edited by szokematyi; Today at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:35 AM

Hi Gavin
Just been listening to the late and great Mick Karn's "the tooth mother" on CD, and noticed you were playing on it , fabulous stuff , very interesting that you had your own sound even back then in 95 :)
Can you remember anything about the process of recording that Cd ?
Old 08-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
I have tried many polyrhythmic possibilities in my time - but writing them into something 'musical' is quite another story - and it's difficult to make them sound NOT like a drum exercise. I made a lot of polyrhythmic stuff on the albums I recorded with O5Ric and I think we found good ways to write on top of of those rhythms. More than 2 pulses at the same time can be very confusing to the listener.
Hi Gavin

There's a Swiss piano player named Nik Bärtsch who writes very interesting polyrhythmic
and polyrhythmic based pieces music, I thought maybe you enjoy this! Excellent drummer,
too (Kaspar Rast):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX3v...dU0Wyj7oiAzyLQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gXQ6eWEAKk
https://itunes.apple.com/ch/album/ni...ve/id557597298