Theater Drumming Articles

Russxdrums

Hey guys,
Have a look at an article I wrote for About.com re: getting and managing theater drumming gigs. The first one is more general musician tips but the others are more drum-centric. Let me know what you think!
I'll post more if you want.

http://musiced.about.com/od/Finding-Work/fl/How-to-Land-a-Musical-Theater-Gig.htm

How to Land a Musical Theater Gig

Theater musician. High pressure? Yup. Technically challenging? Very. The rewards? Huge. Aside from the fact that you will play some of the most beautifully arranged music that defines the Great American Songbook, you will work in one of the last remaining musical spheres that enjoys union control. That equates to being treated professionally and paid fairly. And…. wait for it…. No schlepping your gear every night!

The musician’s role in the “pit” is distinct from other venues. There are specific challenges and some of them can be extremely counter intuitive. I’ve boiled down my (cough, cough) 38 years of pit mongering for you to read. Hopefully you’ll learn to avoid the pitfalls I’ve found myself in!

Here’s some tips on how to get started.

Go to see shows. Be a familiar face to the musicians and music directors ("MDs," who conduct the orchestra and direct the singers onstage). In the words of Woody Allen, “Eighty percent of success is showing up!”
Do a little research, and find out who’s on the gigs. Pretty much all high-end theater is union work, so join the union. When you do, you’ll get a handbook with all the local musician’s contact info. The union office keeps records of who’s playing what shows.
Start at the community/regional theater level. You will see many of the same musicians and conductors in the regional houses who play the big shows.
Go to the pit/stage door, and meet the musicians there. Meet the MD. Believe it or not, theater musicians are always looking for qualified subs.
Keep an updated résumé, Facebook page, and website so people can have a look at what you are up to.
Never underestimate the power of kissing ass. Really!
The more homework you do beforehand, the more attractive you’ll look as a sub. Buy the soundtrack and familiarize yourself with the tunes. Run through it by playing along.
Ask the musician directly if you can sub for him. It’s very important that you don’t have someone else ask for you! You will benefit by showing respect and approaching him/her yourself.
When you offer to sub, hand a business card to the musician—not the MD! The musician on the gig will get suspicious if you schmooze the MD on his gig.
Give out your card. On it, link to a simple website with your bio and performance clips. This will them easily find out what you are all about.
Dress nicely when you approach them! Some music directors have a strict dress policy for the pit. You should look put together and professional.
REPEAT! Become a familiar face to the local players. Then, they'll think of you when they need a sub, and that will help you get your foot in the door.
Good luck, and see you on the downbeat!

###

Russ Gold is an active drummer and clinician. He is author of Phrasing: Advanced Rudiments for Creative Drumming (Berklee Press, 2014).

Back